Legal RP or Illegal RP

RoyalPainter

The answer is simple. Do both with different characters.

In my opinion being Illegal doesn't mean u char would be earning a lot. It's mostly about roleplay and development. I've roleplayed in several legal factions and from what I think time to times it gets boring and you always want to try something new so I tried illegal path and had a lot of fun. 

I tend to stick to legal (with dips into some illegal behaviour within) because I like slowly exploring a character's story and concept at a slower, more homely pace over a longer period of time. I also like pretty mundane, slice of life RP and the fantasy of real human stories, and Illegal RP tends to be a bit extra for me as it's tremendously fast-paced a lot of the time and I have a hard time wrapping my mind around how all of these constant traumatic events that they're often faced with don't simply break a character within two weeks.

These traumatic events as a civilian happen too, but at intervals that allow me to personally enjoy the storyline and make things like experiencing a shootout or seeing a murder something more impactful than it would be if I was seeing bodies drop on the daily. Ultimately, I'm a very introspective, character-driven player and I like to deeply explore different possible lives out there, and legal RP allows me to do that in the way that illegal RP allows for more of an exciting movie experience in my mind.

I also know that I have personal issues regarding the concept of a PK to begin with, and as an illegal you're going to be PKed very often.

Edited by Koko
48 minutes ago, Koko said:

I also know that I have personal issues regarding the concept of a PK to begin with, and as an illegal you're going to be PKed very often.

not really, every char ive ever had has been illegal and I've been PKed like 3 times playing on the server for 2 years. Arrested/Robbed/Beat Up alot sure, but PKs are easily avoidable.

2 minutes ago, Pathway said:

not really, every char ive ever had has been illegal and I've been PKed like 3 times playing on the server for 2 years. Arrested/Robbed/Beat Up alot sure, but PKs are easily avoidable.

I'll take your word for it!

1 hour ago, Koko said:

I'll take your word for it!

Oh trust me he's right bro, on my best and oldest illegal (gang member) char I was PKed maybe twice over a span of 3-4 months roleplaying the character. Roleplaying illegal also doesn't mean you won't get any of that regular roleplay either nor does it mean it'll be fast paced or movie like. Some of my best developed and most enjoyable chars have been illegal.

You'll find that most of the time illegal rpers are the same as legal rpers in that they're trying to portray a real human being. Only, they're portraying human beings from a rather messed up environment where everyone's quite literally in survival mode ICly. (Which is very much a thing in real life ghettos aswell, survival mode is a bitch.). Something that to you might seem crazy or extremely fucked up, might seem completely normal to some random kid from a shitty part of town. That's how people in the ghetto get used to seeing dead bodies, people dying and hearing gunshots. They've seen people die all their lives, they've been hearing gunshots in their neighbourhoods since they were kids, it's all extremely normal to them. 

Illegal rpers (Especially in gang rp) are trying to portray a particularly savage environment where everyone's out for self and nothing more. Some players misconstrue that as them portraying a non-human character or something along those lines, mainly because they don't understand the environment that gang rpers are trying to portray.

If you wanna know more, feel free to pm me, I can show you some examples of decent 'human like' character development that ive seen in the past.

Edited by Garras Up
2 minutes ago, Garras Up said:

Oh trust me he's right bro, on my best and oldest illegal (gang member) char I was PKed maybe twice over a span of 3-4 months roleplaying the character. Roleplaying illegal also doesn't mean you won't get any of that regular roleplay either nor does it mean it'll be fast paced. Some of my best developed and most enjoyable chars have been illegal. I wouldn't say illegal rp is 'movie like', because half the time they're trying to portray a real human being just as alot of players on the legal side are trying to. If you wanna know more, feel free to pm me, I can show you some examples of decent 'human like' character development that ive seen in the past.

Oh yeah, you're definitely right, I run the food truck in the Jamestown Projects, I know for a fact that there's a lot of character development among many groups, and that illegals have nothing if not passion for their concepts, perhaps I sounded a bit dismissive of that side when it's not the intention. I've been at my happiest RPing around illegals with a legal character.

3 minutes ago, Koko said:

Oh yeah, you're definitely right, I run the food truck in the Jamestown Projects, I know for a fact that there's a lot of character development among many groups, and that illegals have nothing if not passion for their concepts, perhaps I sounded a bit dismissive of that side when it's not the intention. I've been at my happiest RPing around illegals with a legal character.

Eh, I didn't really think u sounded dismissive, sounded more like there was certain things u didnt understand about illegal rp, which is to be expected sometimes lad, not everyone's been around such environments or knows anyone that has, so sometimes when they see it portrayed it can seem extremely crazy/messed up to people, which if I'm being honest, it is.

Good to see we're on the same page though lad!

Edited by Garras Up