What faction would you like to see take place in GTAW?

caballero

On 3/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, BjornV said:

I think that you'll have atleast 40 interested people who will look into joining up long term. It's military base RP which in its own is comparable to ULSA RP somewhat. 

It's the legal side of roleplay. People to go work & they go home. People go to school & go home.

As a national gaurd member you're essentially a reservist. You're not full-time. You'll have a main job, you won't be at the base every day (Though it would be fine to RP at the base daily.). 

It'll be a group of people with a civilian alt/main character who RP those characters as any other civilian.

Same reason I'd love to see reserve police officers/firefighters. 

Bringing this one back up with the idea of National Guard. The main focus being military base roleplay similar to ULSA, but also the option for a realistic response to Los Santos turning Iraq from times by allowing government to have National Guard at their disposal and utilize it when required.

Similar to Park Rangers, it would be more of a focus towards passive roleplay on a military base (Fort Zancudo) conducting training, watching grass grow or dodging superiors and MPs most of the time - may this be as full-time 'employees' or part-time and reserve amongst the various companies, agencies and ages of the general population.

• Upvote 3
On 6/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, orca112 said:

Bringing this one back up with the idea of National Guard. The main focus being military base roleplay similar to ULSA, but also the option for a realistic response to Los Santos turning Iraq from times by allowing government to have National Guard at their disposal and utilize it when required.

Similar to Park Rangers, it would be more of a focus towards passive roleplay on a military base (Fort Zancudo) conducting training, watching grass grow or dodging superiors and MPs most of the time - may this be as full-time 'employees' or part-time and reserve amongst the various companies, agencies and ages of the general population.

sounds like a pointless faction with no role in the server

i've been back on the server a couple days and i always see cops and medics handling situations just fine, because every corner i turn, there are flashing lights

all i can see national guard doing is doing pushups in the desert. if anything they should "exist" as a threat for a situation, but not actually exist, similarly to the NTRG in the UK prison service - they do exist, but you never see them nor will you ever see them unless the situation absolutely needed it

14 minutes ago, Aquila said:

sounds like a pointless faction with no role in the server

i've been back on the server a couple days and i always see cops and medics handling situations just fine, because every corner i turn, there are flashing lights

all i can see national guard doing is doing pushups in the desert. if anything they should "exist" as a threat for a situation, but not actually exist, similarly to the NTRG in the UK prison service - they do exist, but you never see them nor will you ever see them unless the situation absolutely needed it

Yikes, why is it okay to have 129,285 gang sets in the same place doing the same stale illegal RP? But the idea to start a legal faction is frowned upon? It is something different and brings in new types of roleplay that people might find very enjoyable. ALSO to add, many factions are starting to pop up in the /dessert/ and more civilians are starting to roleplay there as-well, there server is growing more and more everyday and I don't see why this couldn't be a thing if people wanted to put there time into it. This is a roleplay server, we should be roleplaying.

Just now, Satanic Chicken said:

Yikes, why is it okay to have 129,285 gang sets in the same place doing the same stale illegal RP? But the idea to start a legal faction is frowned upon? It is something different and brings in new types of roleplay that people might find very enjoyable. ALSO to add, many factions are starting to pop up in the /dessert/ and more civilians are starting to roleplay there as-well, there server is growing more and more everyday and I don't see why this couldn't be a thing if people wanted to put there time into it. This is a roleplay server, we should be roleplaying.

I hate to say it, but gangs contribute towards the server one way or another, and add to the diversity in the server as well (a lot don't, but they're meant to). National Guard doesn't have a state-wide purpose at all, it's like adding other federal agencies when their roles can be carried out by local police forces. 

Desert law enforcement already exists with the sheriffs faction, we don't need the national guard at all. Adding another faction to potentially overpower gangs and civilians is just a recipe for disaster. Plus, it's already way too realistic that there are hundreds of cops online at any given time.

National Guard? Nah we need Marines sometimes, cause when I log in and take a walk through the city...sometimes I am not sure if I am in America or Korangal Valley.

Edit: In Korangal Valley you have better chances of surviving anyway.

Edited by Engelbert
On 6/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, orca112 said:

Bringing this one back up with the idea of National Guard

I don't know about this one, I really don't know.

First you'd need a good military gear and vehicles add on pack, so it wouldn't be absolutely stupid.  The vehicles would have to hold like 6 to 8 people, driver and squad.  Armored personnel carriers like the Stryker and M113 would be appropriate, as would 5-ton trucks if they can fit a squad in back.  They could patrol in groups of 3 Humvees carrying 4 soldiers each.

You'd need a lot of people to reliably do it, at least 30 in game, so they could patrol in squads with the support of their vehicles.

You'd also need a National Guard medical elements to support them.  You'd need Humvee ambulances and medic characters.

Troop transport helicopters like the Valkyrie would be cool for rapid deployment, like setting up a control point quickly or rescuing cops or troops in trouble, or medical evacuation.  If you could get a mod pack what has a Blackhawk or Valkyrie that can carry 6 or 8 troops that would be very cool.

National Guard has the infantry units and military police units, so that's legit.  To clarify for non-Americans, the National Guard is a state army that is under the control of the state governor, like California Army National Guard, or Texas Army National Guard.  National Guard units are frequently placed under the control of the United States Army, and they have fought in many wars, but they are a primarily a state army that is specifically authorized to maintain civic order and support law enforcement.  The National Guard often assists police, like with air surveillance, and paramilitary operations against well-armed criminal groups. 

EDIT:  During Hurricane Katrina which devastated New Orleans in 2005, criminal assholes fired on Louisiana National Guard medical transport helicopters.  The National Guard returned fire and that bullshit stopped.

"They have M16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco said."

Then there's already performance concerns just with protesters and police.  National Guard troops would have to be placed so that they don't overload wherever they are.

Then there are OOC and IC concerns.  ICly, the governor would have to call in the National Guard.  If the National Guard gets fired on, they're going to fire back with M-16s and M249s or whatever they're called in GTA 5, and possibly with heavier weapons, like vehicle mounted heavy machineguns.  Flashbang grenades would be reasonable too.  You know people are going to fuck with them, so there are going to be a lot of firefights and a lot of dead characters.  OOCly, it would create more grievances and a lot of bitter acrimony on the forums and discord. 

Think about what the National Guard would be used for, as in policy.  Would they be used to confront demonstrators, crowds, or rioters so police can still have officers patrolling the neighborhoods?  Would the National Guard be patrolling the city and its environs so police officers are free to deal with the protests and/or riots?  National Guard troops aren't jumped up cops, they're soldiers.  Even the military police are soldiers first.  There will be blood.

Concerns:

• Technical stuff like adding mod packs and so on.
  • Performance load with even more characters and vehicles on the streets.
  • Getting enough people to join and take it seriously so they do what they agreed to instead of ignoring it or being destructive.
  • ICly it could kill a lot of characters.
  • ICly it could create the conditions for a lot of gunfights and street battles, which would pretty much throw the anti-deathmatch rule out the window.
  • OOCly it could present protesting or rioting characters with overwhelming force, which might squash their rp.
  • OOCly it could cause even more acrimony, since the National Guard would always be used to support LSPD and law enforcement to the detriment other factions.
  • ICly we're not rping the political bullshit that goes on behind the scenes in civil disorder situations.  When the mayor and government want to stomp shit down, the city police, state troopers (CHP in California), and sheriffs from the nearby counties can usually stomp it down.  Example, 2003 anti-war riots in Oakland CA.  When civil disorder threatened the Port of Oakland, a national strategic facility, then-mayor Jerry Brown told the Oakland Police Department to stomp it, and it was stomped.  Years later in some other riot, another mayor waffled and refused to let the Oakland Police Department take care of the disorder, instead going on twitter and demanding that the rioters 'tweet her right now'.  Civil disorder got worse and worse, until then-governor of California Jerry Brown called the mayor and told her to put the Chief of Police on the line.  When the Chief of Police picked up the phone, Governor Jerry Brown said stomp it, and the Oakland Police Department stomped it.  In the 2003 San Francisco anti-war riots, the SFPD wasn't given the political support they needed to control the disorder, and it got worse and worse.  The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is a state highway under California state jurisdiction, and the California Highway Patrol quelled all disorder as soon as it set foot on the bridge.  That's the difference.  It's complicated, it's nuanced, and are we really rping it?  We can rp it, but I think there would be a united strong mayor, strong governor (admins) that would pretty much take the gloves off of law enforcement, and if necessary, the National Guard.  Things would be over quick and bloody, and that might ruin some complicated rp that people in the community or illegal factions put a lot of work into.  
  • ICly communities take years to recover from disorder so bad that the National Guard is called in.  The community would take decades to recover from the violence and killing, and it would probably never recover.  The authorities would be seen as a hostile occupying force until the generations change and it's only in the memories of the old people.  Any community outreach or community policing the LSPD is trying to do would be ruined.  Of course we can ignore all that and just have a shoot em up.

Edited by jcat
clarification
  • Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic