Make side forums WYSIWYG format, instead of BBCode

Kappaurel

Hello everyone.

So, to every user of side forums (LSPD, LSSD, LSFD, GOV, DOJ...) there is an issue, quite a clear one, which is that it's not possible to paste directly from one to the other, due to how the forums are made.

I am not expert, but I was told that GTAWorld forum is based on WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), and side forums are based on BBCode, that creates quite an issue, quite a big one if you ask me personally.

So, yeah, that's the suggestion, make side forums to be based on WYSIWYG too, which is quite a better format than the old cranky rusty BBCode. 

Side forums use PHPBB. This is a free self-hosted platform.

Main forums use IP. This has a 100+ dollar/euro license with a renewal fee of 25+ every six months. Self hosted. Prices can go a lot higher depending on what you order 

Also, PHPBB forums are in most situations simply easier to manage for government factions, with an extensive group system that IP does not support to the same level appropriate for such forums, which will require a lot more input from forum admins.

You can copy from PHPBB to the main forums simply by copy-pasting, it does not work the other way around though, but in such situations you could use images to fix that.

I don't support this.

Edit1:

Not to mention that switching forum software would likely mean most of the current threads on the PHPBB forums having to be remade from scratch, as well as the lay-out, groups, group permissions/access, moderator/admin roles etc.

Edited by BjornV
12 minutes ago, BjornV said:

Side forums use PHPBB. This is a free self-hosted platform.

Main forums use IP. This has a 100+ dollar/euro license with a renewal fee of 25+ every six months. Self hosted. Prices can go a lot higher depending on what you order 

Also, PHPBB forums are in most situations simply easier to manage for government factions, with an extensive group system that IP does not support to the same level appropriate for such forums, which will require a lot more input from forum admins.

You can copy from PHPBB to the main forums simply by copy-pasting, it does not work the other way around though, but in such situations you could use images to fix that.

I don't support this.

Edit1:

Not to mention that switching forum software would likely mean most of the current threads on the PHPBB forums having to be remade from scratch, as well as the lay-out, groups, group permissions/access, moderator/admin roles etc.

Listen

Everything you said makes sense. L&A this suggestion, life is not always like you want it to be. Sad.

I agree with @BjornV 100%,

I would also argue that WYSIWYG editor used for this forum is not great. Quotes can be hard to use right, and it is not clear when something "special" is affecting your writing unless you look specifically for it. I am personally a bigger fan of BBCode websites, where you write in the code yourself which gives a greater level of control, but understand that most people do not like such a system.

Overall, I would even say that:

side forums > main forum

I do not support this suggestion.

• mj2002 locked this topic