Responding to ads with the sole intention to set up robberies.

The OG Juicebox

6 minutes ago, knppel said:

Had to avoid two robberies before a guy actually wanted the bartender job the other week.

Yes, I can take measures. But should I really have to be super paranoid of job applicants, or roll up with a security squad to hire a waiter?

As stated above:

Use forums for hiring staff, really. Have you ever seen a craiglist ad looking for an employee? What people do on this server when it comes to hiring staff is beyond ridiculous. People who are not willing to invest some of their time into it, like actual paperworks and stuff, shouldn't be eligible for owning a business.

Edited by Engelbert
4 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

...and thus, the concerns of the ingame ads becoming a useless feature, are becoming a reality 

Actually it is useless, cause its just a bunch of text with a phone number. If you are selling a car, you usually want to include pictures and specs. IG ads are fine don't be mistaken, just not necessary. Even if you see an ad looking for an employee, they should still require a proper resume from you, including criminal record.

Edited by Engelbert
4 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Actually it is useless, cause its just a bunch of text with a phone number. If you are selling a car, you usually want to include pictures and specs.

Perhaps then, we should see what the staff prefer. It is very possible rules are being broken by a using the advertisements for robbery purposes.

That, and they may not appreciate a system they have implemented being used in such a way as to make it useless or detrimental to roleplay..

Edited by DasFroggy
1 hour ago, LoneRider said:

Deal with it ICly, what's up with people wanting to turn everything into an OOC issue? Bring someone with you or have them meet you in a public location if you want to sell your car.

If you'd like to sell your house without getting robbed, it's very easy to do that. Post an advertisement on the forums, unlock your house and then post advertisements in-game and simply send them the address if they want to check it out, you don't have to be there yourself. 

A solution was given.

Edited by LoneRider

Interesting how the same people that vehemently protest unrealistic behavior and advocate for more realism in everything are actually supporting this. 

Either you keep everything IC and let the basic ruleset define everything or you set strict realism standards on everything. Choose.

As it stands now, someone coming to extort you at your business isn't good enough reason to kill them. Someone beating you up isn't good enough reason to kill them either... (because "irl" it wouldn't happen that easily and if it does, it's rare).

But Lil' Javier from Rancho can totally pick up the phone and act like he's about to buy a Sultan Classic, only to show up with a hit squad and rob you off $5k plus your CCW gun. (which I guess totally happens irl all the time and not in a few rare cases, huh?)

Legit.

Edited by TritonXVII
59 minutes ago, knppel said:

Had to avoid two robberies before a guy actually wanted the bartender job the other week.

Yes, I can take measures. But should I really have to be super paranoid of job applicants, or roll up with a security squad to hire a waiter?

As stated above:

I think this is a pretty fair point, yes you can take precautions when you do business via ads just as you would irl but in the enclosed environment of a game that should be enjoyable for everyone, you have to ask if it should even be a thing if it's as frequent an issue as players are claiming it to be. To the point where they're paranoid about even making ads? I don't think that's right.

Whilst using ads in this way to meet potential victims isn't technically against the rules, we as admins frown very sternly upon it and would expect such robberies to be very well roleplayed (though I highly doubt they are). It does show very poor character portrayal and a lack of creative roleplay by pulling something like this, they might think it's big brain moves, but it's really not. It happens in real life, sure but it's just unrealistic in this context imho. 

So I'd encourage players encountering these types of robberies to report them (even if they haven't broken a rule in your case) so that we can observe them and make sure they're not doing shit like chain robbing, using low effort /mes and rushing roleplay which we can certainly take action on, if not it can help us build potential roleplay quality cases.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 4
51 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Use forums for hiring staff, really. Have you ever seen a craiglist ad looking for an employee? What

Your ads might be craigslist, my character's are state wide TV campaigns, thank you.

I want YOU to bartend.

Banter aside you know yourself the forums are but one option, there's also ingame job listings (lol), mouth to mouth, facebrowser and what not else.

The one way to stay ingame and in character and publicly write out a job, opposed to distribute it through nepotistic/metagamed/obscure channels to a playmate or someone also dwelling fb or forums, is to use ads.

A couple of months ago I experienced such situation in which some guy called me asking to see my vehicle. Of course I went to him with a friend of mine who has a lot of experience with guns. Upon arriving he wanted to test-drive it, alright. He then wanted to try off-road since it was a SUV, so I said alright only this bit here, so anyways he was standing in one spot for like 10 sec before proceeding with his adventure, my friend was behind us armed and it was night. Anyhow he stopped the car at one point and suddenly he pulled a knife out of nowhere placing it right to my neck so I was unable to do anything. AT the same time his friend came out with masks armed and tried to rob me. HOWEVER, my friend already noticed what was going on so he placed the car so he can be able to take cover and started shooting at them. While all that was happening they didn't know what to do so everyone was running everywhere, the guy that was supposed to hold the knife on my neck suddenly went out of the vehicle ran away and then came back and repeated the same thing again, while all this was going on I saw the opportunity to get out of the vehicle and take cover, they didn't even noticed but I was eventually seen and shot while they was escaping with the vehicle. Now I know I shouldn't have let him drive that way but why would someone do that, I mean he knew that I already had someone with me and I didn't know that this whole thing was a thing because I thought that there is a rule against that.