Responding to ads with the sole intention to set up robberies.

The OG Juicebox

5 minutes ago, Batter Up said:

I feel as though this should be taken ICly even though I know it won't most of the time. For instance, going to meet up with someone from Craigslist to sell something that they want. You don't know this person from a can of paint and you have something they want, there's some people who would go to such lengths such as robbing you because you don't have any information on them except for a phone number maybe? There's a easy work around when it comes to things like this such as using a fake number because there's plenty of apps out there. I personally haven't done this in-game nor will I but again it happens in-real life so I don't see why it shouldn't be able to happen in-game if we're roleplaying a strict roleplay server; if it's done right of course. 

I'd tend to agree with you and if people were doing this via the internet subforums or facebrowser I agree it should be dealt with IC. However, a significant amount more effort needs to be put into the real life example you gave compared to what is happening on the server. Let's not chalk it up to more then what it actually is, people are just trying whatever number pops up on their screen and seems like a good robbery. They aren't going to any lengths as the information is quite literally being provided for them.

Using /ad for criminal means is against the rules, that should apply both ways. I can't do /ad Trying to buy coke, I'd be kicked immediately. If you can't use the function to acquire illegal goods I think that should include victims you can rob.

• Upvote 2

I tried to sell a boat the other day, and the first response was two dudes with flashlights, who showed up just to rob me. Luckily I took someone with me as back up. The result will be, nobody will sell anything to people they don't know. each individual doing it isn't an issue, but the fact that it is so common that people don't want to use ads, is a problem.

4 minutes ago, Henning said:

I'd tend to agree with you and if people were doing this via the internet subforums or facebrowser I agree it should be dealt with IC. However, a significant amount more effort needs to be put into the real life example you gave compared to what is happening on the server. Let's not chalk it up to more then what it actually is, people are just trying whatever number pops up on their screen and seems like a good robbery. They aren't going to any lengths as the information is quite literally being provided for them.

Using /ad for criminal means is against the rules, that should apply both ways. I can't do /ad Trying to buy coke, I'd be kicked immediately. If you can't use the function to acquire illegal goods I think that should include victims you can rob.

Yeah I didn’t think about it that way. I would definitely agree it should be enforced both ways at that point. 

2 minutes ago, Perstephone said:

I tried to sell a boat the other day, and the first response was two dudes with flashlights, who showed up just to rob me. Luckily I took someone with me as back up. The result will be, nobody will sell anything to people they don't know. each individual doing it isn't an issue, but the fact that it is so common that people don't want to use ads, is a problem.

Yeah exactly. I fear it’s going to become so common that the advertisement system will just plain disappear. People won’t use it because this scenario becomes so common, players will just say to hell with the ad system lol.

I think the method is clever and would respect it if it was anything more in-depth but as @Henning said, there’s no effort involved or some elaborate scheme. Robbers are just dialing numbers of the ads and trying their luck. That’s going to get out of hand QUICK. 

8 minutes ago, Perstephone said:

I personally never use ads, I only keep an eye for club openings, but that's all. I either use FB, or visit forums or dealerships / real estate agencies. Also in real life if you are not buying a car or a house, you never risk a robbery, scam at worst. Given anything can be mailed or delivered to you via post office or parcel services.

Edited by Engelbert

People getting robbed while trying to sell something on Craigslist or similar sites irl is unfortunately pretty common. That's why they'll tell you to arrange to meet in the police station parking lot, or somewhere safe like that. Why don't people do this in game, if they're worried about it?

So let's just clarify some things, people who are saying that this should not be against the rules:

You are saying that as you can show up to an advert IRL and rob someone, so you should be able to ICly...

That is a very fair point however,

Can you explain why it is not allowed to post an ad and then rob, that is also possible in real life....

Both events are rare relatively speaking however, they are both fully possible IRL and I appreciate that as the server is a limited size player base, things need to be scaled back to proportion, so I say the rule should be you cant ad bait either way, if that's you posting the ad or responding. 

If admins want to enforce this rule, they must either scrap the advert rule fully, which will cause chaos, or have it going both ways, you cant bait people to an ad, or respond to an ad with the sole intention to mug the person. 

Edited by JackD248

The measures you can take to prevent this are the same IC as IRL. Whether you're responding to an ad, or someone's responding to yours, meet by the police station, don't bring extra valuables or cash with you, bring friends, etc. It's also good to talk to the person on the phone a bit, so you can pick up their vibe. If they're just trying to rush it, balk at meeting somewhere safe, or throw up any other red flags, just pass on it.

For the record, I've never robbed someone from an ad, and despite selling several things, have never been robbed from posting one. I refuse to meet with people who give me a bad feeling, and make sure to take precautions. I do think it's completely manageable IC.

Deal with it ICly, what's up with people wanting to turn everything into an OOC issue? Bring someone with you or have them meet you in a public location if you want to sell your car.

If you'd like to sell your house without getting robbed, it's very easy to do that. Post an advertisement on the forums, unlock your house and then post advertisements in-game and simply send them the address if they want to check it out, you don't have to be there yourself. 

Had to avoid two robberies before a guy actually wanted the bartender job the other week.

Yes, I can take measures. But should I really have to be super paranoid of job applicants, or roll up with a security squad to hire a waiter?

As stated above:

2 hours ago, Henning said:

Using /ad for criminal means is against the rules, that should apply both ways.