Responding to ads with the sole intention to set up robberies.

The OG Juicebox

Thoughts on this? There's nothing in the advertisement rules to prevent it. People use the ad system and respond to players selling cars/houses/looking for mechanics/etc. with zero intention to actually go through with the transaction, only to rob them instead.

Scenarios:

1) Player makes an ad to sell their car. Robber responds to the ad and has them meet somewhere a little more private with the 100% intention to rob them and potentially steal their car.

2) Player makes an ad to buy a house/apartment. Robber responds (even if they don't own a property to sell) and sends them a location to lure them in with the intention of robbing them.

3) Player makes an ad looking for a mechanic to do some work on their vehicle. Robber responds and brings them to a closed mechanic shop or tricks them into going somewhere else under the guise of being a mechanic, but with full intention on just initiating a robbery instead once the player arrives.

You get the idea.  I've been the victim of one of these scenarios and twice managed to avoid it, but it was glaringly apparent that's what they were trying to do. I took the L and went on with my day. Is this an IC issue? OOC issue? Do you think its an issue at all? Should this be reported / violation of common courtesy or somehow dealt with IC'ly if possible? Discuss.

Edited by The OG Juicebox
  • The OG Juicebox changed the title to Responding to ads with the sole intention to set up robberies.

I generally just think robbery roleplay has gotten even worse these last two weeks. I see groups of all black masked individuals driving around in hit squads several times a day, and hear about this kind of stuff a lot. It really annoys me that people can't set up better robbery roleplay.

We're a roleplay server, and their primary goal shouldn't be to quickly get a ton of money through quickly roleplayed robbery scenes, but to actually portray something their character would do out of need and therefore act accordingly. You wouldn't normally drive around in an expensive SUV and rob random people. It makes next to zero sense.

Putting in ads? I don't know exactly how we portray these on the server, but it feels cheap. It can be done, and I even think you could pull some interesting roleplay with it, but if everyone and their mother is just doing it, it gets tiresome quickly.

Edited by Protheus

I feel as though this should be taken ICly even though I know it won't most of the time. For instance, going to meet up with someone from Craigslist to sell something that they want. You don't know this person from a can of paint and you have something they want, there's some people who would go to such lengths such as robbing you because you don't have any information on them except for a phone number maybe? There's a easy work around when it comes to things like this such as using a fake number because there's plenty of apps out there. I personally haven't done this in-game nor will I but again it happens in-real life so I don't see why it shouldn't be able to happen in-game if we're roleplaying a strict roleplay server; if it's done right of course. 

Edited by Batter Up
grammatical error

I think it's clever, don't get me wrong. I also agree these things happen in real life. Do you think it will eventually ruin people's faith in the advertisement system as a whole? It's easy for someone selling a car to suggest a meet up in a safe place, but what about people selling their properties? I feel that it could progress to a place where people are afraid to sell their properties since it's just going to lead to a robbery, because that situation favors the robber for sure. Cornered in your own house? Nowhere to run? People are going to be armed just to sell their house 🤣 Maybe it could make for some interesting IC undercover stings for detectives if someone were to report it IC'ly? I don't really have anything wrong with the general idea of the robberies this way, but I think it's going to progress to a place where it's OOC'ly known that's the easiest way to rob people and then everyone is going to try and do it that way. I'm not sure if that's a positive thing for the server.

Edited by The OG Juicebox
  • Upvote 1

First of all, looking for mechanic ad is just plain stupid and unrealistic. So no. If you need a mechanic, go to a garage. Simple as that. Then ads about buying or selling something are okay, yet you don't have to use them if you have issues with it. I personally never did put up or responded to a single ad. I either buy cars from their respective dealerships or visit an actual dealership. Properties I usually interact with through real estate agencies. 

Edited by Engelbert

Pretty sure that robber has very very desperated life to get money, me personally haven't experienced that myself, but I see it's might be the easiest way to get the victim from the advertisements, but also it's not that hard to avoid them too as an advertisor. I don't know how did you manage to get robbed from it, Advertisements transaction is just not that risky based from my experience. I suggest you better to avoid doing the transaction with the group of people, and better just do it straight between you and the buyer only, and in the safest place.

2 minutes ago, The OG Juicebox said:

I think it's clever, don't get me wrong. I also agree these things happen in real life. Do you think it will eventually ruin people's faith in the advertisement system as a whole? It's easy for someone selling a car to suggest a meet up in a safe place, but what about people selling their properties? I feel that it could progress to a place where people are afraid to sell their properties because it's just going to lead to a robbery because that situation favors the robber for sure. Cornered in your own house? Nowhere to run? People are going to be armed just to sell their house 🤣 Maybe it could make for some interesting IC undercover stings for detectives if someone were to report it IC'ly? I don't really have anything wrong with the general idea of the robberies this way, but I think it's going to progress to a place where it's OOC'ly known that's the easiest way to rob people and then everyone is going to try and do it that way. I'm not sure if that's a positive thing for the server.

I could definitely see where you're coming from because this happens with most things. People notice that one person is able to get away with something and take it upon themselves to do the same thing and it just becomes a repeating cycle of never-ending bullshit. I could see where that'll get very annoying, very quickly.

none of the things you listed are ooc issues, there are risks associated with every action, and it is up to you/your character to access them or face the consequences. 

36 minutes ago, The OG Juicebox said:

has them meet somewhere a little more private

then have them meet somewhere more public.

36 minutes ago, The OG Juicebox said:

Robber responds (even if they don't own a property to sell) and sends them a location

be mindful of where you are going or bring company.

these are IC things that can be handled IC with better judgement, or create roleplay for someone else through your poor choices

Edited by insaned