Excessive Robberies in Blaine County

Ted

2 hours ago, Wirbelwind said:

The one time I've been held at gunpoint all the way up in Paleto Bay, it was by a faction centered around South LS that was trying to rob people going to gun stores and it was painfully obvious how that's what they were doing. I've since passed it up the proper channels, but to say that they are loners and not endorsed by their faction is just incorrect, as unfortunate as that may be. My experience, at least!

I can't imagine that's something IFM would stand for, and by extension the faction should neither. If they do than that's really F-ing stupid. I know from gang discords that they always keep people to a standard, they do tell people not to go up to the county just to rob like that are one of those things. And people have been removed/banned from gangs for rulebreaking and so forth, so it's not as if there's absolutely 0 accountability. 

1 hour ago, cracked said:

But would your character assume that? Is your character paranoid?

Statistically you'd have to be. Outside of my immediate neighbours I can assume with 95% certainty that the guy wearing all black on the BF400 on my street will attempt to rob me. If something that traumatic happened to you on a daily basis you'd just have to expect it after a while. Chain robbers always use the same tactics/vehicles/outfits to the point where I can point them out on patrol just driving around. It's almost like they're in uniform or something

Edited by Sush
4 minutes ago, Sush said:

Statistically you'd have to be. Outside of my immediate neighbours I can assume with 95% certainty that the guy wearing all black on the BF400 on my street will attempt to rob me. If something that traumatic happened to you on a daily basis you'd just have to expect it after a while. Chain robbers always use the same tactics/vehicles/outfits to the point where I can point them out on patrol just driving around. It's almost like they're in uniform or something

Which is perfectly reasonable, same with deputies treating traffic like that as would-be robbers.

1 hour ago, cracked said:

Sure, but they're understaffed. I've seen highpop hours where there's only been 6~ admins online. Imagine 6 admins, handling 500 players.

That's why they recommend you to finish the roleplay realistically, and THEN report it on the forums.

And I think that is 100% part of the issue. I'm not saying hire just anyone as admins but I'm pretty sure some people in the community are more than capable and willing to do it and the admin can hand pick people or something. Regardless something really needs done on that level.

1 hour ago, Gall said:

But to say that it's OK for people to start scouting an entire town in a full vehicle, armed up, and pressing anyone that's not recognized is absurd.  Whether someone's character starts developing certain traits and militant behaviors due to traumatic events or not, I don't buy the excuse. Fact is, people patrol the town with weapons in tow because they're bored and have nothing better to do at the time, trying to excuse their behavior with "events that gradually embedded traits into them." Pressing bystanders in the town with a group of people because you don't recognize them isn't any better than robbing people in the county as a Davis gangbanger. It's done out of sheer boredom and makes them feel cool and superior mobbing down to strangers, G-checking them for stopping by in the town.

I'm not saying that kind of patrolling happens every day, or every night, my bad if it came off as that. Also, I'm not claiming it is OK either, as I agree being forced into that kind of militancy is not good RP and shouldn't be happening in the first place, I'm against that idea and I wish it didn't need to be done.

It, however, happened a few times that I can count with one hand and I'll have a few fingers left, at least the ones I've witnessed myself. That being said, it's not a common occurrence at all. Most people don't patrol Sandy armed to their teeth because they are bored. I myself drive through Sandy (and the rest of Blaine in some cases) when I'm bored or not doing anything, but my main objective is not patrolling. I simply drive around to wait for a call/text I should be getting, or just to see if I stumble upon any of the locals to stop by and have a chat.

Also to add, most strangers that come to Sandy are not "pressed" or "g-checked". Most times they are just greeted and talked to like any other person that could be around town. The times I can recall of this "pressing" happening, have been to people that have been driving around all blacked out, masked up and on a BF400, trying car doors or property doors, or lurking around someone over and over, and in those cases, they left in a hurry when it happened. So I'd say no, it doesn't happen to everyone that's not recognized; When it happened, there was more than a reasonable suspicion about those individuals, and given the time it'd take for LEOs to arrive and their lack of presence in Blaine at certain times, taking matters into our own hands proved to be a good deterrent to avoid a possible robbery happening. However, as I said, I don't agree with that kind of forced militancy most people in Blaine have been pushed into, and I'd much rather do other things than that.

4 hours ago, Ted said:

Hey Cosby, I don't know if you have noticed, but the Southern San Andreas area (which is supposed to be parallel to Southern California) isn't Mexico. People shouldn't be treating it as if it is, and it's furthermore an issue because the majority of the robbers, to be quite honest, come from Davis. I don't know if you've ever drove before, but it's supposed to be a good distance from Davis to Sandy Shores, and clearly what we're seeing isn't a genuinely well Rp'd phenomenon; rather what we are seeing is a bunch of Play to Win robbers farming for PF guns. What we're seeing, in the words of Keane, is an OOC issue, and to once again use his words, you cannot solve an OOC issue, ICly. When you do, it degrades the quality of roleplay in general, and negatively effects people who are bystanders in the situation. 

I want you to put on your thinking cap for a second, and ponder, "When in recent history has a rural town in the Inland Empire of Southern California, had to form a paramilitary organization to chase out Urban Gangbangers who ride dirt bikes, and rob people in the middle of the street?" The answer is that that has never fucking happened, and since this server's RP, ideally, tries to mimic the real world, we could classify doing that, as bad RP. We could also classify the hordes of Davis roleplayers mugging people on the street in Sandy, as bad RP. It's not a situation that could be handled realistically, and you advocating that, only works to compound the issue. 

In short, your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. 

When you say something like this do you just want the server to be second life where there is little to no conflict and all engagement is purely passiveRP. The server is based in reality but takes place in a fictional setting. It's a lot more fun and a lot better for RP to have these things happen naturally at the will of the players as opposed to it being artificially hampered down on because people got upset they were mugged.

Just now, Knight019 said:

When you say something like this do you just want the server to be second life where there is little to no conflict and all engagement is purely passiveRP. The server is based in reality but takes place in a fictional setting. It's a lot more fun and a lot better for RP to have these things happen naturally at the will of the players as opposed to it being artificially hampered down on because people got upset they were mugged.

I assure you, very few people are having fun when people hop off dirtbikes in masks, robbing you in the middle of the street, and immediately rushing to /b to steal your stuff. This isn't conflict, it's just bad roleplay. There are plenty of conflicts that can happen with good roleplay.

4 hours ago, Ted said:

Hey Cosby, I don't know if you have noticed, but the Southern San Andreas area (which is supposed to be parallel to Southern California) isn't Mexico. People shouldn't be treating it as if it is, and it's furthermore an issue because the majority of the robbers, to be quite honest, come from Davis. I don't know if you've ever drove before, but it's supposed to be a good distance from Davis to Sandy Shores, and clearly what we're seeing isn't a genuinely well Rp'd phenomenon; rather what we are seeing is a bunch of Play to Win robbers farming for PF guns. What we're seeing, in the words of Keane, is an OOC issue, and to once again use his words, you cannot solve an OOC issue, ICly. When you do, it degrades the quality of roleplay in general, and negatively effects people who are bystanders in the situation. 

I want you to put on your thinking cap for a second, and ponder, "When in recent history has a rural town in the Inland Empire of Southern California, had to form a paramilitary organization to chase out Urban Gangbangers who ride dirt bikes, and rob people in the middle of the street?" The answer is that that has never fucking happened, and since this server's RP, ideally, tries to mimic the real world, we could classify doing that, as bad RP. We could also classify the hordes of Davis roleplayers mugging people on the street in Sandy, as bad RP. It's not a situation that could be handled realistically, and you advocating that, only works to compound the issue. 

In short, your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. 

There's plenty of situations where Americans have had to use vigilante gangs to fend off rampant crime. Take the Guardian Angels in NYC for example. And in general, this is no where near the violence and crime levels of any American city, even in Davis, and arguably worse than a South American slum. If you wanted realistic crime levels you'd need to tell the admins to heavily restrict the amount of people doing petty crime arbitrarily. I've been mugged once and almost several times. But instead of making complaints I keep my guard up in game and watch for sketchy stuff and respond to it if I'm anywhere not near a police station.

Edited by PunishedCosby
  • Upvote 1
Just now, Ted said:

I assure you, very few people are having fun when people hop off dirtbikes in masks, robbing you in the middle of the street, and immediately rushing to /b to steal your stuff. This isn't conflict, it's just bad roleplay. There are plenty of conflicts that can happen with good roleplay.

Then your problem is with the roleplay quality of the people doing it and not the actual concept of the muggings happening themselves. 

1 hour ago, Knight019 said:

...because people got upset they were mugged.

This is not even remotely the issue, and for your sake, it is an attitude that you should eliminate via time machine if possible.

Muggings are fine. It is the quality of the muggings that are becoming detrimental. To say that the encounter as a whole is being reviewed because "people are mad at having to roleplay" is just the slightest measure above insulting. The least you could do is ensure you are either honest or informed enough before participating as an obstruction in these discussions.

That said, the problem seems to only be increasing, and low-quality muggings are not something that can be handled exclusively IC without major changes to character development, realism rules, and combat rules. What exacerbates the situation more is that not one single criminal organization is even so much as lifting a finger to take their own advice and deal with it IC. If anything they seem to be turning a blind eye to the low quality speed-grabbing, and even encouraging it.

At this point it seems criminal organizations should be dealing with it, if they do not wish to see it addressed with new OOC measures.

Edited by DasFroggy
  • Wuhtah locked this topic