How do you deal with your business as the owner?

denybosnia

Hello dear business owners I created this topic just to get some opinions on how you should treat your business? I used to lease one garage long time ago, and 70% of my workers quit because of some idiotic decisions I made but never mind, life goes on. I recently witnessed that sometimes, business owners can really be pain in the a** while I want to develop my character further when it comes to vehicles in general. My character is a mechanic since my first day here, and every time I wanted to change the profession it just doesn't satisfy me to roleplay something other than mechanic. So in a  good manner, after 4 months of PC issues and i/a I've decided to come back to server and start playing since my PC is finally fixed, so I thought let's apply to one of the garages, because that's what I love and I get this : 

527246687_peppersig.png.4c2ece91fbce1a1468cd6cd3d016f1b8.png

Okay, a little angry because I was waiting for 30 minutes outside the business, and than I get rejected OOCly, but what can you do? So the owner of the business keeps telling me that my English is not up to the standard of the garage, and then "Sorry but I can't allowed". Some minor things like this make me think what type of business owner would I be? How would I tolerate my business?

Intention of the topic was not to insult or provoke somebody I would just like to hear your opinions about how you treat your business and how do you process your workers, do you have some custom system, or you simply use applications on forum etc.? Is your business main source of income or there are some other jobs that you do, and how do you build a trusted relationship with your workers? Every tip would be amazing.

Edited by denybosnia
  • denybosnia changed the title to How do you deal with your business as the owner?

It really depends on the type of business you're running. Some businesses are naturally going to be more difficult than others to run. Ultimately, it's on you as the business owner to foster the kind of roleplay you want. You can run a bar/nightclub as the typical GTA:W cash cow where it's all about the e-maniez and cookie cutter experience, or you can do something special. That goes for any business type. You can run a pawn shop where you just do little more than buy and sell, or you can really innovate on that pawn experience.

In my case, I hold both the businesses my character runs to an impeccably high standard, and we are constantly raising that bar. That makes it very difficult for us compared to the businesses which play more to the GTA:W business meta of small staff and simple service, but it is the roleplay we enjoy. We attract like-minded customers and like-minded employees, and so everyone has a good time.

Figure out your audience, figure out what kind of RP you want to have, figure out your goals, and work around that. In that way, it's not much unlike a real business.

From employee perspective, I like when an employer asks about past, refuses me for a physical application (like you fill it in with a pen and stuff) and forces me to fill in an online one. I like it when they literally wrestle with my character within the respectful lines and roleplay frames. There can be OOC problems of course, but that's just a "me" problem rather than theirs.

To provide a healthy working environment and assure safety should be number one priority if you want to have a healthy relationship with your employees. You should provide them with extras and hold events with them. You could try being more reasonable with timing especially, since not everybody wants to spend enormous time on working. But all in all, it depends on your character. If they're not a good person or doesn't know how to manage stuff, then you can reflect that in your roleplay. It's all fun in the end.

On 12/27/2020 at 11:03 PM, Ink said:

In my case, I hold both the businesses my character runs to an impeccably high standard, and we are constantly raising that bar. That makes it very difficult for us compared to the businesses which play more to the GTA:W business meta of small staff and simple service, but it is the roleplay we enjoy. We attract like-minded customers and like-minded employees, and so everyone has a good time.

This sums up the way I treat my own business as well, which has made it somewhat difficult to find employees. Good help is hard to find, and all that jazz. I don't advertise looking for people, but always entertain the request if people ask me about it, and I'm willing to hear them out at least. 

Realistic character portrayal and being independent are two things that are required at my business, but that doesn't strike me as the issue that OP is having here. At least not based on the post itself.

While I am not a fan of you airing out "dirty laundry" by leaking PM's, it does paint a bit of a picture when it comes to the owner of this business as well. Because as far as grammar goes, the message you received is not exactly perfect either.

Edited by Thirteen

Personally I run and treat my business as a small addition for other characters to develop their characters in a job that is based on RP rather than grinding and give them opportunities along the way to engage and get involved in deep legal corporate, organizational RP.

Generally if someone came to my business and was not an experienced RPer or had bad English, I would do my best to help them learn, improve and give some tips along the way as they RP being part of my business.

At the end of the day everyone started somewhere and should be given opportunity and guidance to be able to do what they enjoy.

That is not to say that I have standards, but they are more focused towards character portrayal as in I would not hire someone who would make no sense working at my business (example. Someone driving a Lamborghini working as a bartender in a small local brewery)