Deaf player(s) and LEO Factions - The existing problem

Thekillergreece

3 minutes ago, Government Leaks said:

But in roleplay, imagine seeing a cop walking directly into shots because the player can't hear OOCly.

Or imagine a world in which a deaf person is aware of their deafness, reads a scene, sees people running away from somewhere and screaming, and looks for shots and either calls for backup on the radio or takes their own gun out because their eyes work.

Also just to add to the previous reply there is a lot of misinformed opinions here about how being deaf might affect your RP experience, I really don't think it's a big deal that people can't hear shots in game (I mean half the time I have my IG sounds turned off), additionally I'd understand if there are rules precluding them from joining pursuits un-partnered alone, but they're not stupid! Half the time there is a lot going on in a pursuit visually that you can understand the context without needing to hear every instruction over TeamSpeak and both PD&SD have been far less reliant on TS than in previous years. As others have said, it's not the end of the world if the PD or SD loses over someone not being able to hear, what does it really matter? 

Finally, a lot of illegal roleplayers want to see more community interaction and focus on roleplay IG (rather than TeamSpeak) while I think both factions are moving towards this, surely someone who can't interact on teamspeak would be the perfect person to be immersed IG and provide unique RP experiences. 

• Applaud 3

if this dude's capable of doing the duties that an LEO roleplayer is required to do- then let him have the role.

imo- just a bad call by both LEO factions, and LFM seems like they don't give a shit. I've tried to get change in the community multiple times by talking with admins, and I've seen multiple people do the same, most of the time the admins give a bullshit excuse like "we're working on it," or they just don't give an excuse at all, AND COMPLETELY IGNORE YOU. whole thing's bullshit, if OP can do what's needed then let him have the job.

discrimination at this point- no hate meant towards any admin in particular

Just now, Koko said:

Or imagine a world in which a deaf person is aware of their deafness, reads a scene, sees people running away from somewhere and screaming, and looks for shots and either calls for backup on the radio or takes their own gun out because their eyes work.

1 minute ago, Notbond said:

Also just to add there is a lot of misinformed opions here about how being deaf might affect your RP experience, I really don't think it's a big deal that people can't hear shots in game (I mean half the time I have my IG sounds turned off), additionally I'd understand if there are rules precluding them from joining pursuits un-partned alone, but they're not stupid! Half the time there is a lot going on in a pursuit visually that you can understand the context without needing to hear every instruction over TeamSpeak and both PD&SD have been far less reliant on TS than in previous years. As others have said, it's not the end of the world if a situation is "lossed" over someone not being able to hear, what does it really matter? 

Finally, a lot of illegal roleplayers want to see more community interaction and focus on roleplay IG (rather than TeamSpeak) while I think both factions are moving towards this, surely someone who can't interact on teamspeak would be the perfect person to be immersed IG and provide unique RP experiences. 

There's a lot of situations that we come across because we hear gunshots. Most of the Davis/Strawberry/Rancho gunshots aren't discovered because of people running or whatever, they're discovered because you hear shots popping off in the distance.

It's not about winning or losing, it's about having an appropriate response IC that would otherwise happen if you were able to hear them.

I think both DEVS and PD/SD leadership should sit down with deaf players in a discord chat and discuss what could be done to accomodate deaf players, along with LFM. Surely it'd be easy to implement some sort of command that toggles chat notification when a shot is fired. Sure, it doesn't solve everything, but it's already a step towards accomodating players with hearing problems.

Stop bringing up real life instances into the topic, honestly, it's a game we're all here for our entertainment. Nobody should be limited to it due to a disability, as the OP mentioned they were allowed to roleplay in the faction of the other communities with improvised exceptions.

The viable solution I see is to supplement them in playing for the faction is to have them partner up with someone whenever they're on duty. Plus OP mentioned that they can talk, therefore, they're not limited to reporting incidents or updating active ongoing situations plus recognizing his experience in the field from LEO RP off other communities should suffice. The problem I see with the solution should be the fact that they're enforced to find a partner that could support them through their hearing impairment. Whether one is assigned to them or colleagues are to be volunteered. However, I doubt there are players who wouldn't support in partnering up with them.

Personally, I'm not too knowledgeable about LEO RP as it isn't a field that I enjoy, hence the lack of experience. However, I don't support having players with certain limitations or treated differently due to their disabilities. Hopefully, a system is introduced for those with adaptations to pursue their entertainment from this game.

• Applaud 1
1 minute ago, yerro said:

There's a lot of situations that we come across because we hear gunshots. Most of the Davis/Strawberry/Rancho gunshots aren't discovered because of people running or whatever, they're discovered because you hear shots popping off in the distance.

It's not about winning or losing, it's about having an appropriate response IC that would otherwise happen if you were able to hear them.

* Gunshots *

Your partner (who knows you are deaf IRL): "Shots!"

Then you follow your partner's lead. It's not really that dramatic.