Deaf player(s) and LEO Factions - The existing problem

Thekillergreece

4 minutes ago, Koko said:

I really do hope you are never put in a position in which you are discriminated against like this. Your lack of empathy is absolutely shocking.

This is not discrimination. It's a requirement that's not being met. If you're blind, you can't drive a car. If you're short, you can't be in the army. That's the way the world works. Not everyone can do everything and that's totally fine.

2 minutes ago, Weeb said:

Man really said GTFO our server for being deaf

No one said that, he was offered an alternative that he turned down. If you want a million dollars, you're offered half of that and you refuse, that's on you. No one's kicking you out. Especially not out of the server.

Serious question

Once the use of VOIP is not necessary anymore, will being denied for not being a fast typer be considered discrimination?

Edited by Entity

Just now, Government Leaks said:

Why does that matter? I was on this account when I saw this. 

Why? It's mentioned in the main post clearly in the private messages!

Why don't you make internal suggestion then?

So? He has multiple alternatives like LSPDFR or something. If this server basically doesn't offer him to RP as a cop, then change the server. Simple enough.

It matters because you are hiding behind the fake name, and no one can actually know who's posting. I am making suggestions on this topic, because this is a discussion about his issue. You guys are simply not ready to make a small change to give a possibility to the guy to Roleplay what he loves. I repeat, text based server. So many suggestions on this topic that you guys simply ignore for whatever reason. I can't believe you found a simple solution for him TO LEAVE THE SERVER BECAUSE HE IS DEAF. So based. 0 empathy. I proved my points here, you're just proving that the community is right here. I'm out, happy holidays.

@Entity yes, there are cops that don't have a partner in real life. But how come that, no one, literally no one, from 100+ members in PD/SD isn't ready to partner up with the guy so he's able to Roleplay what he loves too? He can't harm your factions and your roleplay in any way. Happy holidays to you too, and everyone else. I'm out.

1 minute ago, Entity said:

So is this just a game or is it a heavy roleplay server?

That's a really common double standard. There's a rule I want to break? Oh, it's just a game. You're breaking the same rule? This is a heavy roleplay server. Yes, it is just a game but any game has rules and the rules of this game are stricter - that's what makes it fun. If the lines were blurry, we'd be playing GTA Online and it'd be a whole different thing. Rules make everything fun. Take out the rules, take out the fun. If you can't abide by the rules, it is what it is.

It is just a game. We impose our own rules in our game, but if the rules we impose discriminate (completely unnecessarily) against people with disabilities or other handicaps, then those rules need to be questioned and an explanation is in order.

I don't see how a person with experience, passion and a drive to excel within PD RP who just so happens to have a hearing impairment can't be given the opportunity to take part in as much RP as he possibly can, with the maturity on all sides to understand that it is @thekillergreecewho knows their own limits better than anyone and is trying to engage the faction honestly, and who is able to provide solutions to his situation and is willing to sit it out if he needs to.

I do not believe the issue here is with the inability to use a microphone. As the quoted topic from the LSSD forums states, there are exceptions we can make to those wishing to function without a microphone due to medical reasons. We have done this before (even outside a custody environment) and will gladly do it again when the applicant is more than capable as a roleplayer.

The issue that eventually got the individual posting this topic rejected was related to hearing. Even when you take away the whole TeamSpeak argument, a lot of in-game sounds are still to be taken IC and can be hints to rather critical role-play situations. Given the fact we expect those in the faction to be capable of reacting to such situations, it was quite frankly impossible to cater to their condition in a way that would be considered realistic on an in character basis. Would their character somehow be able to hear conversation-level talking while unable to hear blatant gunshots nearby? I am afraid these are the issues that led to us opting to say no in this particular situation.

I know many of you will not agree, and that is more than fine. You folks do not have to run a faction or deal with the angry rabble when one of your members can not meet the communities' expectations, though.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Entity said:

This is not discrimination. It's a requirement that's not being met. If you're blind, you can't drive a car. If you're short, you can't be in the army. That's the way the world works. Not everyone can do everything and that's totally fine.

But he can do most duties in the game. He just can't lead a pursuit, and he'll need some support with a few other things. He can do the majority of PD RP just fine.

3 minutes ago, Entity said:

You also can't force people to do partner patrols. Check the reasons in my previous reply.  

We're talking about this one person, only being able to go on patrol with a partner. Just one person. That's the only change. This one person, need to have a partner to go out. The fact that you can't see how ridiculous this is is mind boggling. 

If you really honestly don't think, anyone, would be willing to partner up and help this guy out... I'd honestly be astounded.

Hell, half the RPers I know would join PD just to help the guy and be his partner.

1 minute ago, Entity said:

The issue you are not understanding is that this is a ROLEPLAY server, what he is trying to convey is that ic'ly he wouldn't have these disabilities. Being deaf doesn't mean he is a paraplegic my guy, he can still play the game he just can't use VOIP properly. In essence he is the rawest form of a full text rp'er and you want to turn him away because he can't properly join a pursuit? Off the goop my man.

1 hour ago, Baconlove96 said:

Fucked up. Dude already has to deal with this irl. With this being one of the only games in the world that’s text based and that they should be fully equal, and then they’re limited because of their irl disabilities. I think this reveals the real character of the LEO faction leaders and their inability to adjust to something so simple. And this also shows the inability of legal FM to represent a player who has provided solutions to a problem.

This part. We all roleplay to have fun and do something we can't do IRL. Let the man enjoy the game, give him a fair chance.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, lambchops said:

I do not believe the issue here is with the inability to use a microphone. As the quoted topic from the LSSD forums states, there are exceptions we can make to those wishing to function without a microphone due to medical reasons. We have done this before (even outside a custody environment) and will gladly do it again when the applicant is more than capable as a roleplayer.

The issue that eventually got the individual posting this topic rejected was related to hearing. Even when you take away the whole TeamSpeak argument, a lot of in-game sounds are still to be taken IC and can be hints to rather critical role-play situations. Given the fact we expect those in the faction to be capable of reacting to such situations, it was quite frankly impossible to cater to their condition in a way that would be considered realistic on an in character basis. Would their character somehow be able to hear conversation-level talking while unable to hear blatant gunshots nearby? I am afraid these are the issues that led to us opting to say no in this particular situation.

I know many of you will not agree, and that is more than fine. You folks do not have to run a faction or deal with the angry rabble when one of your members can not meet the communities' expectations, though.

I've not used them myself, but does GTA V not have working closed captions?