Deaf player(s) and LEO Factions - The existing problem

Thekillergreece

Okay, I'm going to leave my constructive opinion over here, and so do I hope for constructive criticisms.

The intention of this thread is to basically seek attentions from the community to get what the original poster want. Now, I understand it's not in some malicious ways, but General Discussion is definitely not the right place to complain about it. 

You raised the concern to a member of legal faction management, and you were provided with the best and most polite answers (according to the screenshots) therefore you should be accepting it.

"text-based shouldn't need voice". Do you have a better idea on how would it work without voice? If it was possible in any way, it would've been implemented a long time back. It's a limitation that cops can't just talk (type) when they drive. Regardless, the suggestion forum exists. 

This thread is getting a lot of support. Well, no surprise because we're a good and friendly community that doesn't have dickheads replying "lol loser". Most of the people reading this thread are all sorry for your disability. However, these sympathies seem to go off topic, some insulting or making wrong comments to the LEO factions. Most of the support here are based on feelings, not really looking at a bigger view. Keep in mind that things can't just be accommodated to the minority. I suggest you listen to the offers from the high commands, and accept because they are giving you to the best answers possible.  

Edited by Government Leaks
1 minute ago, Government Leaks said:

"text-based shouldn't need voice". Do you have a better idea on how would it work without voice? If it was possible in any way, it would've been implemented a long time back. But it's a limitation that cops can't just talk (type) when they drive. But regardless, the suggestion forum exists. 

Simply provide one officer with a partner that can support him through his hearing impairment with guidance of what current situations are on text. If you hear shots, you can just go "Shots!" which takes 0.2 seconds to do if you're an experienced officer, and that's all that's needed for a deaf person to also look around for a gun in the area. The system doesn't have to change for everyone, but it's a matter of allowing one player with special circumstances the chance to do as much police RP as they can.

I'd go as far as to say that other than leading a chase, if he was provided with a partner that in a moment could relay important information via /pm on the passenger's seat, @thekillergreece could perfectly take part in a majority of RP. I'm also certain that these factions have lots of people who would love to help him enjoy the faction.

When I was a kid and had to go on pursuits, I “accidentally” drove bad so I wouldn’t be the lead car so I wouldn’t have to update during the pursuit, this is like 2010, I believe this is very common for people to do. So I see no issue with this person joining PD or whatever. If he gets in a pursuit he can just update and another vehicle can take over eventually. Same with shots fired, he will be able to speak, only issue is him responding to calls if it’s only broadcasted over teamspeak but from my experience shots fired etc always get broadcasted in /R and teamspeak so I don’t really see the issue. Sure, people have to adjust themselves slightly perhaps? But nothing major. Teamspeak should also just be used in pursuits, nothing else. I’d even say shots fired over teamspeak is borderline especially if you are actively shooting.

Believe it or not, the majority of RP for a PD member shouldn't revolve around shootouts and pursuits. Teamspeak should only be used for pursuits/shootouts, making Teamspeak not required for the other 80% of encounters. Using the excuse "oh you need Teamspeak for pursuits and shootouts" when everyone knows you won't be doing this 24/7 is pretty saddening.

Simply partner them up with someone and be done with it. Restricting someone from doing police roleplay because life dealt them a bad set of cards is pathetic. I was gonna post examples but they've been written above.

2 minutes ago, Koko said:

Simply provide one officer with a partner that can support him through his hearing impairment with guidance of what current situations are on text. If you hear shots, you can just go "Shots!" which takes 0.2 seconds to do if you're an experienced officer, and that's all that's needed for a deaf person to also look around for a gun in the area. The system doesn't have to change for everyone, but it's a matter of allowing one player with special circumstances the chance to do as much police RP as they can.

I'd go as far as to say that other than leading a chase, if he was provided with a partner that in a moment could relay important information via /pm on the passenger's seat, @thekillergreece could perfectly take part in a majority of RP. I'm also certain that these factions have lots of people who would love to help him enjoy the faction.

The OP mentioned he offered this procedure, but was unsuccessful. There's a reason why. 

9 minutes ago, Government Leaks said:

The OP mentioned he offered this procedure, but was unsuccessful. There's a reason why. 

The thing is, they never bothered to put that procedure to a test. They only said this;

BLULRVA.png

Which is a straight up a baseless assumption imo. You got like 20+ officers on duty everyday and would you really think they all go on solo patrol and never partner up or aren't willing to partner up under any circumstance? /shrug

As mentioned on first post, I wouldn't force anyone. If nobody is available to take me, I'll just wait. That's what I always did.

Edited by thekillergreece
Just now, Government Leaks said:

And the reason doesn't stand because OP already said he's not going to impose himself on anyone and force them to partner up. He himself has said that in the past he's just waited at the station if people couldn't or didn't want to partner up. The original response from LSPD was to deny it on the grounds that people who are already given a choice of whether to partner up may not want to partner up with him. Which is irrelevant because if that's the case he can sit out at the station until someone wants to partner up.

Denying him completely on those grounds is, to me personally, quite excessive.

server name is 'HEAVY RP /TEXT/ server'. I don't get why there's no microphone policy for LEO factions.

Like, if you can't do certain things or take part in certain roleplay because 'you ain't able to use microphone'? Please change the server name so players don't get misguided. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, Perstephone said:

They did all that. This is a text based RP server. How much exactly are LEO factions using VOIP communication if it is integral to the RP? I get pursuits. They might not be the most helpful. But that's it? Is it going to harm anyone elses RP? 

No, they went to the the leadership of the two factions, not LFM or the staff team. VOIP is not being widely used, but it is vital to the RP. Again, imagine that a police officer is in their car, checking your car's documentation and you decide to get out and shoot at them. Do you really believe that the right course of action is to acknowledge the situation, open up the chat and start thinking of a reply, then typing out your request for backup as you're being shot in the head? While, in real life, they'd just probably see you, duck (or shoot back) while also talking on their shoulder-mounted radio station. Or what about a pursuit - it's unreasonable to think that driving at 100 mph can be properly done while also continuously typing out your location, direction and other pieces of information.

VOIP is only being used when needed - there's internal protocols regulating this. If you're able to type, you stop using VOIP (once a pursuit is finished, coordinating the arrest happens ICly, not over VOIP). It's use is minimal but vital.

Yes, having people who can't use their microphones can be harmful to the RP. What happens if you're being shot at but can't report it? You just... die? While, in real life, you'd be able to report what's going on and call for backup? Or do you engage in a shootout on your own, which is not very realistic. What happens if a vehicle evades you? Also, what happens if you want to go on duty and no one takes you as partner, or no one else is online? Should people be forced to partner up? That would not only deter people from joining (or logging on), but it would also cut the number of police units to half of what they are now (and they're not that many for such a big map). You also have specialized units, so if you have someone with no microphone on-duty, someone who's in a traffic division, two detectives and three K9 units, would people not be able to roleplay their specialties? From 10 people who are on-duty, who is going to be the one who's forced to partner up? Yes, it's a hassle because it's much easier to coordinate patrolling on your own then it is with a partner (I may want to do something in-game, or take a break OOCly and whatnot, it's easier when I'm alone). It would also bring a lot of bad stigma on the people who have no microphone because no one likes being forced to do something (in general).

These are all legitimate questions and they're all just from the top of my head. Can something be organized? Sure. But it has to be in the works for a while, all of these questions have to be answered, it should have as little of a negative impact as possible and it would be a true hassle. Even after, I don't think it would work properly since that small part of having to use VOIP is so important to the everyday RP.

He was offered middle ground but he turned it all down.

31 minutes ago, thekillergreece said:

That's insulting. I did not make this thread to "anger the community" or what you are trying to say. The story is crystal clear;

I asked the PD AND SD leaders if I can join their faction as Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff (not support nor custody staff). They said no because I'm deaf as can be seen in the screenshots I provided.

If I am twisting the story, the leaders can post their proof of their side here then.

I made this thread to give a real story to the community on what's REALLY going on behind the scenes, stuff the community does not know. Now the community knows and is upset because they agree with me and not PD/SD leader's response towards to handicapped / deaf players.

Also, sorry but I wish to join the regular position in PD/SD and that's Police Officer / Deputy Sheriff. I always liked those roles and always applied for them in any RP community I joined.

I am sure that your intention was not to stir anything up, but that was the result. I do believe that it's not fair that you have a disability and I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, but that's the way it is.

LEO factions have rules - including being required to have a working microphone. While using the microphone is a very small part of the on-duty time, it's vital in situations requiring it. Allowing people who cannot use a microphone (for whatever reason) in the faction will create precedent - it's impossible to verify who has an actual disability versus who is lying. It's already happened that people lied about not having a microphone in order to get in a faction.

I'll (again) give the examples I gave before - you can't be a pilot if you're blind, you can't be a sports commentator if you're mute. Also, in this specific situation, you were offered alternatives. That's the best and only way to go about this whole thing - finding middle ground. While the faction should be understanding of your disability, you should also be understanding of the faction's requirements. If you refuse, then that's on you. That's my opinion.

• Upvote 3