Deaf player(s) and LEO Factions - The existing problem

Thekillergreece

I'm not sure if anyone will recognize me in this community but I was part of LS-RP's SASD (LEO Faction) for 2.5 years and RC-RP's SASP (Also LEO Faction) for 2 years and counting. I'm DEAF since age 4. There's no solution to my disability besides hearing aid but they don't help much and give me headache trying to listen to sounds in-game than enjoy with them.

Background history

Spoiler

I attempted to join the LSRP's SASD but I was initially denied by Kylie (or whoever was the Sheriff at that time). He eventually resigned and Brady Russ took over and eventually allowed me to apply following ES discussion with two terms:

- To be partnered at all times. Should not conduct any kind of patrol without partner.

- Rank restriction, Corporal would be the max to hold.

This was fair. I passed the academy, passed the FTP and the LEO RP was fun, the best one to join. Climbed up to rank of Corporal, held command positions in divisions and so on. The ES eventually allowed me to conduct solo patrols.

My character's name was Jessica Eponimos.

I left LS-RP for various reasons. I joined GTAW in 2017 but I wasn't active because my PC wasn't strong enough to run GTA V. I was, however, accepted to LSPD by Kota but like I said before, I wasn't active.

I eventually joined the RC-RP. I was denied by Jamie (then Colonel) to join the SASP citing my disability - that's it. A year after, Anderson took over and also denied me citing my disability. After FM and ES discussion, they eventually allowed me.

Still RPing there for 2 years already, no restrictions at all, held the rank of Sergeant.

And here where I am, trying to be active in GTAW. I attempted to join both LEO Factions, LSSD and LSPD. It is important to note that the LSSD has the following thread;

YHTCudH.png

I PMed one of the ES members for an inquiry. I was met with the following response;

bQ2nu5W.png

Needless to say I was surprised. I have a disability something which I can not control, I can speak (I'm deaf, not mute), I got a working microphone (I can update, talk to TS3 and ton of more), I just cannot hear. I already offered my solutions to them (aka 24/7 partnered, etc) but they seemingly ignored them.

I talked with a friend of mine about LSPD and they told me the Chief of Police has the authority to grant no-mic permission with restrictions such as can't go past Police Officer II.

Well, I went ahead and asked him about the whole thing, I was denied with similar reasons, not much different from LSSD.

CPJO0vT.png

PEpsSVl.png

That's it. In LSRP, LSPD wouldn't allow no-mic users but SASD would. In GTAW, you are screwed either way as both factions won't allow no-mic permission - even though they state they do.

I am not trying to act entitled nor behave like a typical Karen, I'm just expressing my disappointment why handicapped players still cannot join LEO Factions without pushing it further and further - as in, without getting FM and Managers/Owners involved. I went through this from LSRP to RCRP and now this? There's no stop to this mentality.

You might ask how can I RP as LEO if I'm deaf? Well;

I was 24/7 partnered. If there were no available members nor members willing to take me on patrol, I had to wait and stay at station. It wasn't much of a problem considering I always could find a partner. But, even if it was hard to find one, the faction and server was too fun to resign.

Pursuits, shootouts, etc were a hourly thing. If my partner was driving, they would drive to the situation and the rest; use text-chat. TS3 was not to be used unless you was in situation where typing is not a feasible idea (pursuits, active shots fired, etc).

You might ask, if I'm driving, then how do I know where to go? Pretty much this: My partner would relay locations. That's it. Anything else, use common sense what to do.

I was eventually granted to go on solo patrol. What did I do? Pretty much whatever every other member do except I wouldn't be able to join pursuits nor shots fired situations without knowing the exact locations unless they were taking place front of me.

Anyway, 

I tried to approach two Legal Faction Management members but they couldn't do much. I also contacted a Server Manager (who is head of LEGAL factions) but I was ignored.

So here I am! Asking the community what are their thoughts.

EDIT: Edited a wording

Edited by thekillergreece
  • Upvote 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 5

Some mega-bs goin on here

why they gotta hate on my mans for he's just deaf

like bruh can you imagine not being able to hear?

well, he can't imagine what it's like to hear so your standards of circumstance dont apply to him

honestly, this some sad shit to see, he doesn't even want you to cater to his disability, 

he JUST wants to play in the faction, like everyone else lol

This shit is fucking sad and I'd ask for admin intervention.

If my man is capable of doing his duties, let him be an officer. 

Why'd you need a teamspeak for anyways? I feel like the OOC radio should be only used to give information in pursuits, and anything else apart from that I'd consider metagaming. 

Have y'all put this guy to a test? How come y'all are so sure he can't perform his tasks over /r the way he would over the mic? C'mon bro. 

Besides, the man said HE CAN speak. PD/SD too ANGERRRRYYY that they have to write their responses over /r ?

Edited by Santanaa
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1

Hello. I have no clue if you remember me or not but I'm going to express my feeling here.

Communicating while pursuits are reasonable and I don't see why they can use Teamspeak while they are in other situations (Maybe they don't)

Despite you are deaf, you are still capable to do other IC duties and you did able to join some LEO factions on SAMP servers. I don't quite understand why they don't allow you to be a normal LEO.

I've always been of the opinion that people should not be restricted to joining factions on a text-based roleplay server. If illegal factions must survive without VOIP communication, then there are ways to incorporate people with disabilities into factions with certain limitations.

Last year I was in the LSPD as a no-mic due to an illness that medically made speaking difficult - causing pain if I talked for extended periods of time and extreme lethargy that could lead to my vocal chords being extremely damaged due to muscle deterioration - I spent a year of my life limiting how much I talked whilst being bed-ridden with only GTA:W to keep me entertained. I wouldn't have been able to call out a TAC comfortably and whilst I wished to join the PD to be with my friends, I didn't want to sacrifice my health for a video game so accepted the no-mic terms and was determined to prove it was possible.

During my time in LSPD, I think many people would confirm that I did everything I possibly could for the faction. I won the LSPD faction video contest, hosted multiple events in MRCAD (including two Christmas parties and a mental health caffeine club), was active on-duty and won multiple medals/awards in a very short span period, including officer of the month - something I don't think a no-mic had ever achieved before and I was proud to be proving that it WAS a possibility for people with disabilities to roleplay an officer.

I made it to P2 and was accepted into Traffic Division by @honey. - the ONLY division leader to actually make accomodations for me in arguably the division that required microphone the most and I'll never be able to thank her enough for doing that. I was a dog handler in the prison service for a few years and had zero chance at actually using my real life credentials in-game as a K9 officer and whilst I was bummed out about it, I accepted that those were the rules.

When I joined, by the manual, no-mics could reach Sergeant 2, I believe. A few days after I had done everything required of a P2, submitted my application for FTO and won the faction video contest (which I spent all of my Christmas working on), they updated the manual to change the restriction to P2 - zero courtesy to inform me that this decision was made, zero discussion with me before they made this decision and as the only no-mic in PD at the time who was really, REALLY trying their best to do whatever I could for this faction - I was hurt.

I attempted to have discussions but was met with, "We can't make you P3 because you'd need a mic to be an FTO and if you weren't an FTO then you wouldn't be 'pulling your weight' in the faction and that wouldn't be fair on the other officers".  - Despite the fact that I arguably was doing more than your standard P3 officer would be doing.

I resigned and swore I would never go back. Now I'm on the mend IRL, I can talk, I can move again, I've returned to work and would be able to go into PD with full-mic perms as was the plan - I swore I would never, ever go back to the LSPD for the way I felt I was treated. I have friends there that still ask me to come back but the sadness and rejection really did kill my love for LEO RP, no matter how much I'd enjoy RPing with them again.

I feel for you, buddy. I really do. I've been there and LOVED the roleplay. I made so many friends that I consider actual friends that I talk to daily who still ask me to reinstate under different circumstances - but I can't do it because I gave it my all and was burned badly.

There are 100% ways to incorporate no-mics into LEO factions. I always patrolled with people and they were happy to have me with them. I made real friends that way and connections that you expect to make on a community. If you can't become an FTO, you can help MRCAD with events and press releases. Just because you're limited IRL does not mean your character is limited ICly and if this is a heavy-based text-RP server then this needs to be fixed so people like this guy can RP who they wish to RP.

Edited by lux
  • Upvote 11

How about they stop acting like a bunch of dickheads and just accept the man so he enjoys his game?

I hate it when some certain people just decide to take Roleplay way too serious that it comes to this, completely aweful.

• Notbond locked this topic
  • nateX unlocked this topic