Removal of automatic emote when using the spikes command

Tseard

3 hours ago, JeffMan3 said:

so I'd say the fact that in GTAW LEO's in general have an upper hand on evaders, criminals whatever you wanna call them, it kind of emphasises the reality. So it's a no-no from myself.

There's a difference between having an upper hand IC and having an OOC advantage. Giving PD realistic access to air units, massive budgets, and surveillance equipment is an IC upper hand that reflects reality. However, giving PD the ability to have telekinesis via TS and automating their RP for them is distinctly an OOC advantage. 

No ones saying they need to go into intense detail, but removing the automation forces PD to think carefully about when and where these tools are deployed.

3 minutes ago, Henning said:

No ones saying they need to go into intense detail, but removing the automation forces PD to think carefully about when and where these tools are deployed.

So as it stands right now, an officer usually posts up on a road with spikes, waits for the car to get close, hits Y, then hits Y again to yank back the spike strips after the person passes.

In terms of actual roadblocks, I haven't seen them done. I think if this was to be changed, there would be more of a shift to macro planning actual roadblocks when it comes to pursuits, which is a really interesting idea and honestly I'd like to see how it'd actually work.

6 minutes ago, Henning said:

There's a difference between having an upper hand IC and having an OOC advantage. Giving PD realistic access to air units, massive budgets, and surveillance equipment is an IC upper hand that reflects reality. However, giving PD the ability to have telekinesis via TS and automating their RP for them is distinctly an OOC advantage. 

Implying that deploying a spike strip is a complicated process. If you want the desired effect you’re gonna need more than just the removal of the /me. People are just going to copy and paste one liners or create binds. 

Just now, eTaylor said:

Implying that deploying a spike strip is a complicated process.

Deploying a spike strip isn't a complicated process, your right. But decided when and where can be. 

3 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

People are just going to copy and paste one liners or create binds. 

Which is against the rules. So your point is what? This suggestion will do nothing because PD members will just break the rules instead? Hmm, seems if that's the culture in PD then there are bigger fish to fry.

10 minutes ago, Westen said:

In terms of actual roadblocks, I haven't seen them done. I think if this was to be changed, there would be more of a shift to macro planning actual roadblocks when it comes to pursuits, which is a really interesting idea and honestly I'd like to see how it'd actually work.

As am I. Lets just use Vespucci as an example:

365bf9dcb339359b9613a9303be1dfe1.png

If your pursuing someone through Little Seoul and they head into Vespucci on Palomino Avenue, they really only have a couple avenues of escape. Either they go north through Del Perro, or travel back towards Little Seoul via San Andreas Avenue or the canals. Instead of having the majority of units chasing the suspect into Vespucci, keep air and a few units on them while the rest of the force breaks off to shut down those avenues of escape. Is it going to be as effective right off the bat? Absolutely not. But give it time and I think PD members will develop the type of on the fly planning they need to be successful. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would create way more RP then having 35 cars chasing after one suspect until they crash or get pitted.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Henning said:

Deploying a spike strip isn't a complicated process, your right. But decided when and where can be. 

And having to type stuff changes that how?

10 minutes ago, Henning said:

Which is against the rules. So your point is what? This suggestion will do nothing because PD members will just break the rules instead? Hmm, seems if that's the culture in PD then there are bigger fish to fry.

Yeah, sure it’s against the rules but that’s not the point. You can’t enforce that because there’s absolutely no practical way to determine if somebody is using binds. What are you going to repot people for, throwing to quickly?

You want them to use spike strips differently, but this suggestion won’t do that. All I’m saying is that if you want spike strips to be used a certain way you first need to define the spike strips themselves and then mandate the usage of them. If you want to see them being used along with roadblocks then that’s how you need to suggest it, removing an automated action isn’t going to change that because they’ll just find ways to replace it instead. It’s basic design, and human nature. 

2 minutes ago, Henning said:

As am I. Lets just use Vespucci as an example:

365bf9dcb339359b9613a9303be1dfe1.png

If your pursuing someone through Little Seoul and they head into Vespucci on Palomino Avenue, they really only have a couple avenues of escape. Either they go north through Del Perro, or travel back towards Little Seoul via San Andreas Avenue or the canals. Instead of having the majority of units chasing the suspect into Vespucci, keep air and a few units on them while the rest of the force breaks off to shut down those avenues of escape. Is it going to be as effective right off the bat? Absolutely not. But give it time and I think PD members will develop the type of on the fly planning they need to be successful. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would create way more RP then having 35 cars chasing after one suspect until they crash or get pitted.

It'd definitely be an interesting thing to test and develop. My only concern is people speeding through the roadblocks at 120 and sending the officers flying because the roadblock didn't load in on their screen. 

With the fact that we don't even have an ID on the majority of people we're pursuing, I think we'd just have to take the L and hope an admin responds in time? I'm not too sure how it'd work really.

5 hours ago, Westen said:

Spike strips are very much a split second thing. If this change goes through, one of two things will happen:

1. People will save their /me's of throwing it into the road until the last second and thus defeats the purpose of this suggestion,

2. People will /me throws spike as soon as they see the vehicle coming and press Y anyway.

I also don't see how removal of spike strips would work. They can be thrown out into the road and pulled back in a second or less. By the time you type /me pulls the spike strip from the road, you've stung half your own cruisers. 

Why not just do the rp of setting up the spike strip before the car gets there? You know, like they do in real life? If you're concerned about how the people with spike strips (the pd) will RP it,  isn't that an issue with the roleplay quality of PD?

Edited by Ted
1 minute ago, Ted said:

Why not just do the rp of setting up the spike strip before the car gets there? You know, like they do in real life? If your concerned about how the people with spike strips (the pd) will RP it,  isn't that an issue with the roleplay quality of PD?

Spikes aren’t used in game the way they’re used in real life. Same with pursuits in general.