Removal of automatic emote when using the spikes command

Tseard

The goal is to provide people quality police role-play, not catch them or spin this to be r.e. to balance between illegal role-players and legal role-players in pursuits. This was pushed for /take to avoid it being OP on the police end and there's nothing wrong with requiring people that they do role-play an action such as this.

You should have no problem typing a one liner about throwing spikes. If you rely on an automatic /me because you do it within the split second someone passes in front of your character, it's unfair to them. Most of these spike roadblocks are realistically set up ahead of time and we should do our best to enact that.

7 minutes ago, Marksman said:

I agree. It's always left a bad taste in my mouth how people can just throw out the spikes and retract them immediately in literally one second, narrowly avoiding the wheels of a pursuing vehicle behind them.

Isn’t that how wired spike strips literally work IRL though? 

1 minute ago, eTaylor said:

Isn’t that how wired spike strips literally work IRL though? 

Wired spike strips? Is that the type of spikes that are IG are? If so, no. The videos I've seen of spikes being used are stupidly fast. The spike dissappears from the ground a split second before cruisers drive over the would be spikes.

1 minute ago, Marksman said:

Wired spike strips? Is that the type of spikes that are IG are? If so, no. The videos I've seen of spikes being used are stupidly fast. The spike dissappears from the ground a split second before cruisers drive over the would be spikes.

I don’t know, I’m not a cop lol. I’ve seen cops IRL use a spike strip that’s like thrown out with a steel-ish wire, and when the car runs over it they pull it off the road immediately, or loose their hands if it gets entangled with the car 

Yes please. As a community we need to begin to stop relying on script prompts to do the role play for us.

Even if it is all so last second, would it not be possible to at least accommodate the /me’s of preparing the spike strips/throwing them after they were placed down?

4 hours ago, Westen said:

Forcing all units to slow or stop while you type again defeats the purpose of spike strips. They don't take three to five seconds to pull out of the road. Plus, the person typing that /me is gonna be under stress. That means they're gonna make mistakes, especially if English isn't their first language.  The roleplay that you get from forcing people to type /me's under stress and time limitations will just be low quality and providing no roleplay benefit to the server.

same thing could be said for a lot of other stuff too, but we still expect criminals to have to roleplay properly in any kind of tense time sensitive situation. I don't see why we hold these expectations for everyone else but not for police, who as an official faction should be held to the highest of expectations. 

• Upvote 1

all these arguments are so dumb. You're essentially saying "It's fast IRL" "it will waste valuable time", I can say the exact same thing about pulling a shotgun/AK out of my seat. I can say the same thing about pulling a shotgun from my duffle bag. We don't get automated animations for those, but PD get them for spike strips. If you say: "It's gonna defeat the purpose of spike strips" I can say the same thing about robberies. I have to RP aiming the gun, waiting for people to type for several seconds, ending up taking like 5-1o minutes, when IRL it would take like 1 minute MAX. 

You can't cherry pick what gets automated anims. If spike strips get automated anims, everything that would be quick to do IRL should get automated anims. If we're not going to do that then remove the automated anim for spike strips.

3 hours ago, Jeroen said:

There is no room for detailed roleplay when the person you're depending on doesn't give a shit about it, and wants to get away from you. Ignoring the obvious moments when you should RP even if the person doesn't give a shit about it.

This is the type of P2W mentality that should get you automatically removed from PD. If people break the rules report them, commonly staff members are observing pursuits to additionally catch any additional rule breaks so I don't see how it's as big of an issue as you make it out to be. Your basically saying: If I take the time to RP I'll lose, there for I am against this suggestion. 

Sadly seems to be a common mentality amongst members of PD.