Removal of automatic emote when using the spikes command

Tseard

Just now, Tseard said:

I'm convinced that people who throw spikes in-real life are under a lot of stress, adrenaline and excitement as well. You are about to come across a vehicle that speeds past you. That's a very natural reaction. Spike strips don't work all the time, while here it is literally a hit if they drive over it. 

And this comes down to movement under stress. The movement of deploying and retracting spike strips is very basic - it's not a fine motor movement. It's throw out the spikes, yank them back. That is easier to do under stress than the fine motor movement of typing out a line of roleplay.

• Upvote 1

This sounds like a very good way to remove road spikes from active use. No car in pursuit is going to slow down and wait for you to type out your emote, they go full throttle the whole time if they can with the goal to escape. This is one of the most time sensitive portions of PD, nobody will ever be able to type out an emote, essentially forcing players to pre-save their emotes anyway or just opt to never attempt it in the first place. You can multitask in real life, you can't when everything you do is in the same input field.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Tseard said:

I'm convinced that people who throw spikes in-real life are under a lot of stress, adrenaline and excitement as well. You are about to come across a vehicle that speeds past you. That's a very natural reaction. Spike strips don't work all the time, while here it is literally a hit if they drive over it. 

I'm not saying that units should stop. You could easily announce over the radio that spikes are set up here and units will simply slow down and give the suspect some distance. 

Spike strips right now are already high pressure.

If this gets removed I will never use spike strips again.

12 minutes ago, Tseard said:

There are communication devices that you can use to announce that you are using spikes, cruisers can easily slow down and accelerate once the spikes are removed.

I'm here to roleplay and I don't want to have RPG like elements that are ruining the experience for others by placing and removing spikes within the second.

It isn't the officers you have to communicate with, by the time that you take spikes out and are ready to lay them down the suspect has most likely travelled over a mile. Are you suggesting that we should also contact the suspect to give us some leniency by slowing down when we're trying to spike them so it's all fair game? A lot of the times we don't even know the ID of the person we're trying to spike.

Even right now spiking is hard, yesterday we had a pursuit that lasted a full hour until a successful spike was done. There were over 6 officers around the city where the vehicle travelled most often through ready to spike.

If this feature gets removed, the usage of the spike strip will drop to near zero.

10 minutes ago, Tseard said:

I'm here to roleplay

We all are! It's not detrimental to roleplay to discuss how changes might effect situations outside of the initial scope of the suggestion. With that being said, why would saving the /me until the time is right get you in trouble? Spike strips aren't tossed willy nilly, they're supposed to be deployed as the targeted vehicle is passing. That really would be the only way to do it unless you want to try and time your typing to when the car is about to pass you.

I understand that it's a gamey system, but that's how pursuits are in general. Everyone holds W until either the suspect gets away or they're forced to stop by outside circumstances. People will likely try and find a way to circumvent it. Binds are obviously against the server rules, but who's going to be there to see them use it? The target vehicle probably won't even be in emote range, the cruisers following definitely won't see it.

Just now, Jeroen said:

It isn't the officers you have to communicate with, by the time that you take spikes out and are ready to lay them down the suspect has most likely travelled over a mile. Are you suggesting that we should also contact the suspect to give us some leniency by slowing down when we're trying to spike them so it's all fair game? A lot of the times we don't even know the ID of the person we're trying to spike.

Even right now spiking is hard, yesterday we had a pursuit that lasted a full hour until a successful spike was done. There were over 6 officers around the city where the vehicle travelled most often through ready to spike.

If this feature gets removed, the usage of the spike strip will drop to near zero.

I don't know why you are being so passive aggressive about this and frankly I don't want to bicker back and forth between the quotes.

There is nothing stopping you from laying down spikes before the suspect is at your location. You can set them up prior. Sure, tossing them at the last moment has the most effect of surprise but you can also think outside of the box. You don't have to do the /me in the presence of the suspect. As long as you placed down the spikes yourself.

I have a whole different opinion about having a 30 minute chase through Los Santos but I'll keep that for another topic. 

I can definitely see your guys' point for placing them down but what about taking and placing them in the car?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Tseard said:

I can definitely see your guys' point for placing them down but what about taking and placing them in the car?

Taking and placing them from/in the car I agree with. In fact, I see most people roleplay it anyway so removal of the /me for /takespike and /placespike would be fine.

Just now, Tseard said:

I don't mind this bit, most people I see using spikes already type it out anyways! I think the most controversy revolves around adding more steps to what is already a hair-thin timeline.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

Thank you for contributing to the conversation.

Unsure why you quoted me? 

I’ll give my two cents on this. 
Law Enforcement already have enough advantages. Removing a 1 second spike strip, doesn’t hurt anyone. They can literally end a pursuit by typing /takespike. 

It’s another step to balancing things. 

• Upvote 1

I do think less automation is a good thing but not for deploying/picking up spikes. This’ll just end up with units being spiked as you’ll have to focus on typing a /me than picking up the spikes.

Collecting/placing the spikes in the vehicle, yes. Deploying/picking up the spikes, no. I think having to RP deploying and picking up the spikes puts police at an unfair disadvantage, but collecting or placing the spikes in the vehicle definitely should have to be manually roleplayed. 

Edited by Matthew