Removal of automatic emote when using the spikes command

Tseard

Short description: Remove the automatic emote for taking, deploying and storing spikestrips.

Detailed description: Similar to my previous suggestion about removing the automatic emote when doing /take and /place for weapons, this suggestion is to remove the automatic emotes when taking, deploying and placing spikestrips. Whenever you use the command for doing any of those actions, an automatic /ame or /me is prompted in the chat, doing the roleplay for you. I'm in believe that this should be removed, we're on a roleplay server where you are supposed to roleplay your own actions, including this. People who are currently using the command could per say just quickly type binds, press the Y to deploy and roll off again within seconds. This would at least add some more seconds and you would have to roleplay your actions.  

Commands to add: None

Items to add: None

How would your suggestion improve the server? The roleplay would be done by the player himself, rather than the server doing it for him.

Additional information: None.

• Upvote 1

Spike strips are very much a split second thing. If this change goes through, one of two things will happen:

1. People will save their /me's of throwing it into the road until the last second and thus defeats the purpose of this suggestion,

2. People will /me throws spike as soon as they see the vehicle coming and press Y anyway.

I also don't see how removal of spike strips would work. They can be thrown out into the road and pulled back in a second or less. By the time you type /me pulls the spike strip from the road, you've stung half your own cruisers. 

• Upvote 1

I disagree. If this is removed then it'll be extremely difficult to actually pull a spike off properly. People drive fast, faster than most people can type or anticipate.

If this actually happens then spiking vehicles will become extremely rare, and most officers will just try to PIT their suspects even more aggressively.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Westen said:

Spike strips are very much a split second thing. If this change goes through, one of two things will happen:

1. People will save their /me's of throwing it into the road until the last second and thus defeats the purpose of this suggestion,

2. People will /me throws spike as soon as they see the vehicle coming and press Y anyway.

I also don't see how removal of spike strips would work. They can be thrown out into the road and pulled back in a second or less. By the time you type /me pulls the spike strip from the road, you've stung half your own cruisers. 

There are communication devices that you can use to announce that you are using spikes, cruisers can easily slow down and accelerate once the spikes are removed.

Saving your /me's is against the rules as far as I know so doing that will only get yourself in trouble.

I'm here to roleplay and I don't want to have RPG like elements that are ruining the experience for others by placing and removing spikes within the second.

Not to mention when it is pulled off and you spike a vehicle, it's pretty much game over for the criminal. 

Edited by Tseard
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Tseard said:

There are communication devices that you can use to announce that you are using spikes, cruisers can easily slow down and accelerate once the spikes are removed.

Saving your /me's is against the rules as far as I know so doing that will only get yourself in trouble.

I'm here to roleplay and I don't want to have RPG like elements that are ruining the experience for others by placing and removing spikes within the second.

Forcing all units to slow or stop while you type again defeats the purpose of spike strips. They don't take three to five seconds to pull out of the road. Plus, the person typing that /me is gonna be under stress. That means they're gonna make mistakes, especially if English isn't their first language.  The roleplay that you get from forcing people to type /me's under stress and time limitations will just be low quality and providing no roleplay benefit to the server.

Oh, but how does this contrast to /take? Well, with /take, you have other, more realistic options, such as getting out of the line of fire first, getting to a safe distance, etc. With spike strips, they are very linear and you cannot do that.

16 minutes ago, Tseard said:

People who are currently using the command could per say just quickly type binds, press the Y to deploy and roll off again within seconds.

Any type of game modification or software which gives a player any type of advantage over another player is forbidden. This includes but is not limited to binds or hotkeys using programs such as AutoHotkey or macros on a keyboard or mouse. 

2 minutes ago, Tseard said:

I'm here to roleplay

Damn dude that's crazy, me too! But we should strike a balance, especially in high speed pursuits.

Just now, Westen said:

Forcing all units to slow or stop while you type again defeats the purpose of spike strips. They don't take three to five seconds to pull out of the road. Plus, the person typing that /me is gonna be under stress. That means they're gonna make mistakes. The roleplay that you get from forcing people to type /me's under stress will just be low quality and providing no roleplay benefit to the server.

Oh, but how does this contrast to /take? Well, with /take, you have other, more realistic options, such as getting out of the line of fire first, getting to a safe distance, etc. With spike strips, they are very linear and you cannot do that.

I'm convinced that people who throw spikes in-real life are under a lot of stress, adrenaline and excitement as well. You are about to come across a vehicle that speeds past you. That's a very natural reaction. Spike strips don't work all the time, while here it is literally a hit if they drive over it. 

I'm not saying that units should stop. You could easily announce over the radio that spikes are set up here and units will simply slow down and give the suspect some distance.