Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

1 hour ago, Woona said:

You should only carry a gun if your character needs one, not if you (the player) needs one. With the amount of robberies that happen in one night in Los Santos, it's justified.

I guess my issues at least isn't so much the fact that people have guns, it's the ease to which people can get to them legally that I think is the issue. Living in a dangerous city or part of town, full stop. Has never been a legally valid reason to get a CCW permit, at least not according to my research into the system in LA. You have to be able to demonstrate how you or your family more at risk of being the target of violent crime then the general public. 

The current rate at which CCW's are granted too players does nothing but take away chances of RP by furthering the line between "Legal" and "Illegal" characters.  I believe that you should only get a CCW if your character meets the realistic requirement of being more at risk then the general public, not just because they need some form of self defense. I live in a major US city. I know people who carry guns illegally after a recent crime wave this summer. Are these people criminals for carrying a gun illegally because they have a fear about their safety? If your friend and you go downtown and he explains to you on the way that he has a gun stowed in the glove box because he's afraid of getting carjacked, are you going to report him to the police? Firstly I'd say no and secondly I'd hope not. Regardless, the important thing to take away from this is that people aren't forced to faced this dilemma IC and instead just wait till they meet the requirements for CCW and auto apply and it seems in most cases they get accepted. By continuing to operate the system the way it is, we continue to drive a wedge between players that places them into on of two groups; Either illegal or legal with little interaction between.

29 minutes ago, Henning said:

Living in a dangerous city or part of town, full stop. Has never been a legally valid reason to get a CCW permit, at least not according to my research into the system in LA. You have to be able to demonstrate how you or your family more at risk of being the target of violent crime then the general public. 

I agree in essence with what you're saying, in the sense that it seems that for established, long-term "legal" (whatever that means) characters, a CCW and PF just becomes part of the meta (to the point where "legal char with PF license" has become a meme in the community). But also, on the other hand, where your character lives is an opt-in process, it's not like in real life, where you happen to be born somewhere and that's your draw in life. A lot of civilians simply don't live in high crime areas because they choose to stay away from them.

In their defense though, the proportion of violent crime in dangerous parts of Los Santos per capita is completely out of this world when compared to the real life counterparts (even when looking at the more dangerous parts of real life LA), because many of these parts are attractive to a majority of characters who engage in violent crime at some point or another, and those who want to avoid it move out. By living in that area, you are automatically more at risk than the general public.

Again, I personally choose not to carry, because I think it feels silly for my character's concept but also because I think that the community aspect of hood RP is something that can still be developed, and it also makes me have to engage with South Los Santos in a different way than if I could defend myself. My character has to create a feeling of appreciation and care around him and pretty much appear to respect the general unspoken "hood rules" and hierarchies while trying to provide everyone with something, and so far most characters he's encountered mainly around the Rancho area seem to enjoy the fact that he exists, and for the most part have told him that if anyone messes with him they can come to them.

Ultimately, I think that you gain a lot from establishing relationships with "illegal" characters based on human interaction and the knowledge that you literally don't have to mess with their gang world and their inner politics and you can still live a decent life in the ghetto (with its risks), rather than try and serve them an L in their turf and then complain about it. This is, as someone who operates a food truck, something I see often as I'm sitting outside the projects and there's tons of people in $200k cars driving there to the actual outskirts of the city, in a dangerous part of town, for a bite and to try and dunk on some lone gangbanger.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Henning said:

It is, it's just the weather data from last year.

Because this is a European community run by a Frenchman.

Because a large amount don't or rarely applies to situations on the server, things get updated as they are needed. Sorry @Brettdidn't have time to replicate 170 years of state laws and penal codes.

They do. Although over time creative liberties have been granted, it's still something that is closely watched and taken into consideration when IFM approves factions.

"LS is LA" is applied to many different areas of the server, you've either got your head in the sand or your being intentionally ignorant to make your argument seem more legitimate. Sometimes there are logical reasons to take creative liberties, such as changing the server time to reflect the majority of your player base. Or not writing out every little law that exists in real life, especially when some of them don't apply to a Video Game. Just because creative liberties are taken in some places doesn't mean you can't logically apply realism in others. 

your response was greatly formatted, had good arguments and did sway me to be completely neutral on this issue. bravo.

Edited by cracked
  • 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, Stiggz said:

“You don’t understand American culture” 

you don’t understand California culture, it’s a liberal hippie state where getting a gun is about as easy as getting a pilots license. Quit crying about illegal Roleplayers and learn to make connections so you can get guns illegally, but it shouldn’t be this easy to get a firearm on the server if we’re trying to portray California. Inb4 “this isn’t California this is San Andreas!” That’s the argument every legal RP’er makes when they want easy guns, but the moment they get robbed “here’s a picture of the area I was robbed irl it’s very busy!!!”

You can buy weapons at some gun conventions without they asking you driver's license or even gun permit.
Just gimme cash and take ya gun
In california btw.

Edited by Xaleya
1 minute ago, Xaleya said:

You can buy weapons at some gun conventions without they asking you driver's license or even gun permit.
Just gimme cash and take ya gun
In california btw.

That's not true at all, not sure where you heard that. Also, this is an old post, don't necropost

I own a gun because the amount of time's people have legitimately tried to kill me IC is skyrocketing. It's simple logic. People try to stab you etc when you don't have any form of protection, well get protection. (this was in a place by all means considered safe).

You overthink the reasoning. Any right minded person, pro or anti gun, if repeatedly encountering events which are a threat to life, will actively try to minimize that. Yes there are gun cultures, but there's a solid percentage of gun owners who literally have one just to stop themselves becoming a statistic.

I'd argue it'd be considering non RP to be threatened nearly daily and not get one. The difference is following the laws and using it responsibility, instead of joining the PF Mafia. 

On 12/24/2020 at 1:15 AM, Ink said:

It's an IC issue. Los Santos is a very dangerous city. You can make your character and RP pretending it's a regular American city for a month or two, but after a while your character is either blind or stupid if they ignore how dangerous the city actually is ICly. My character doesn't go a single day without hearing one of her friends got robbed or attacked. It's practically powergaming if your character doesn't decide to legally carry a gun to protect themselves.

• Wuhtah locked this topic