Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

21 minutes ago, Syke said:

If you walked into a gun store and purchased a pistol, and asked for three boxes of their reccomendation for rounds with it, does the person behind the counter refuse unless you tell them which caliber?  I'd be inclined to believe they'd just pick up the boxes and hand you them.

Obviously, this would be on the basis that you could legally purchase said firearm at that store.

I promise you he will tell you how to know what caliber your gun is. And then question why the hell you are allowed to own a gun. 

And yes, even though you can legally purchase a firearm you can 100% be denied a sale for any reason in the United states of America. 

Don't like a guys' beard? No gun for you. Is he wearing blue and you don't like blue? No sale.

I personally suggest you do some firearm research independently before trying to spew information about roleplay surrounding firearms. It's important. Or maybe this can open a gun instructing course on the server.

Onto topic, the only issue I have is when people use their PF guns in such a "PF Hero" way. Cool, you got a PF. You're not a cop, so you shouldn't be going around putting your life on the line for every stranger being robbed on the street. I've had PF owners pull guns on me because I stole a bottle of liquor out of their business. Once again I think thats very unrealistic and people should be trying to portray guns in a realistic way not John Wick the 3rd.

Just now, Juicebox. said:

I promise you he will tell you how to know what caliber your gun is. And then question why the hell you are allowed to own a gun. 

And yes, even though you can legally purchase a firearm you can 100% be denied a sale for any reason in the United states of America. 

Don't like a guys' beard? No gun for you. Is he wearing blue and you don't like blue? No sale.

I personally suggest you do some firearm research independently before trying to spew information about roleplay surrounding firearms. It's important. Or maybe this can open a gun instructing course on the server.

Onto topic, the only issue I have is when people use their PF guns in such a "PF Hero" way. Cool, you got a PF. You're not a cop, so you shouldn't be going around putting your life on the line for every stranger being robbed on the street. I've had PF owners pull guns on me because I stole a bottle of liquor out of their business. Once again I think thats very unrealistic and people should be trying to portray guns in a realistic way not John Wick the 3rd.

Okay, I buy the gun and the ammo, he tells me the rounds are .22 LR.

I walk out the door, I don't care, I forget about the details of the firearm.   Is this where the rest of America will deem me no longer eligible to possess said firearm then I am then cornered, called unrealistic and deported to North Korea?  Or would it maybe be a case that nobody else would give a shit and I'd go about my day not knowing the details of the firearm?

Seems more than realistic to me that people would forget if they didn't give a shit.

(Also I know a fair bit about firearms, I've been roleplaying American characters for over 10 years with about a third of them being Law Enforcement 🙂   That's got absolutely sweeeeet fuck all to do with the conversation we're having though, where it's being implied that all American gun owners tuck their guns into their gun safe every night with a lullaby, and need to constantly buy ammo.)

1 minute ago, Syke said:

Okay, I buy the gun and the ammo, he tells me the rounds are .22 LR.

I walk out the door, I don't care, I forget about the details of the firearm.   Is this where the rest of America will deem me no longer eligible to possess said firearm then I am then cornered, called unrealistic and deported to North Korea?  Or would it maybe be a case that nobody else would give a shit and I'd go about my day not knowing the details of the firearm?

Seems more than realistic to me that people would forget if they didn't give a shit.

(Also I know a fair bit about firearms, I've been roleplaying American characters for over 10 years with about a third of them being Law Enforcement 🙂   That's got absolutely sweeeeet fuck all to do with the conversation we're having though, where it's being implied that all American gun owners tuck their guns into their gun safe every night with a lullaby, and need to constantly buy ammo.)

I mean if you forget sounds like you don't even need a gun in the first place honestly. 

As for the rest good for you man, it's always important people know guns and how to use them IN MY OPINION if your country gives you a right to own one. And I freaking hate gun safes because "o shit some1 broke into my house lets put this pin in open my safe, load my gun, and then defend myself!" that's how you are technically suppose to do it. Oh and the ammunition is supposed to be in it's own safe as well lol technically. All of that is just a recipe for disaster.

1 minute ago, Juicebox. said:

I mean if you forget sounds like you don't even need a gun in the first place honestly. 

That's one of the things I'm getting at - people who don't need them still buy them, and if they don't need it they'd have no reason to remember anything other than the fact that it's loaded and it shoots.   But according to the reactions in this thread not having all that information to hand at all times is bad roleplay, when in reality there are a load of Americans who own firearms that don't need them, and they sit in drawers, on top of cupboard and hidden away in their homes until they actually need to use them.

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

My characters never owned a firearm of any kind, simply cause they don't see any need for it.

This is the real reason people shouldn't have a gun. And no, just because the city isn't safe and you get robbed doesn't give you a valid reason.

If you want to get a shotgun because you RP being a hunter that's a different story.

• Upvote 1

Fact of the matter is IRL many people in America buy handguns which they are probably never going to use, particularly for a hypothetical home defense scenario.

Should they? I don't know.

Do they? Yes they do.

Now should everyone have a CCW? Probably not. As far as I'm aware most average people who buy a gun for home defense in America and aren't gun advocates are more likely to keep it at home.

I see no issue in people exercising their right to get a PF license, but rather the abundance of CCWs that encourage reckless behaviour from civilians, like going to dangerous neighborhoods and talking shit to a crowd of gangbangers. And I say this as a South Central civilian with no gun.

• Wuhtah locked this topic