Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

4 minutes ago, Juicebox. said:

If you can't even name what caliber of gun you're using you don't deserve to own a firearm, that's basic information. How would you even have ammunition for your gun and not know what caliber it is? 

Once again, I think people in here don't realise that being American means every American is like you. Can you tell me the fibre content per bowl in your morning cereal?   What do you mean you don't have that committed to memory you see it every morning.

Same premise, some people buy firearms for home security, lock them up, put them away or hide them and never look at the box of rounds again.  If they then pulled that firearm while someone had broken into their home, and fired upon an assailant would those bullets stop working if they didn't know that information?

Just because some people on a roleplay forum who roleplay around guns every day care a lot about every detail of their firearms does not mean the average American cares.

Edited by Syke
10 minutes ago, Syke said:

Once again, I think people in here don't realise that being American means every American is like you. Can you tell me the fibre content per bowl in your morning cereal?   What do you mean you don't have that committed to memory you see it every morning.

Same premise, some people buy firearms for home security, lock them up, put them away or hide them and never look at the box of rounds again.  If they then pulled that firearm while someone had broken into their home, and fired upon an assailant would those bullets stop working if they didn't know that information?

Just because some people on a roleplay forum who roleplay around guns every day care a lot about every detail of their firearms does not mean the average American cares.

I promise you it's not comparable to the fiber content in your bowl of cereal. I can eat a bowl of cereal without knowing that information. In order to get the right bullets for a gun and use it, you need to know the caliber of the gun. 

I can see some old bastard not knowing this information, but this is vital information that EVERY gun owner should know and better know if they bought for self defense, otherwise what are ya doin?

I'd go as far as to say if you don't know the caliber of your gun, or don't know how to check, every gun shop should outright deny to sell you a gun. Period. 

Edited by Juicebox.
1 minute ago, Juicebox. said:

I promise you it's not comparable to the fiber content in your bowl of cereal. I can eat a bowl of cereal without knowing that information. In order to get the right bullets for a gun and use it, you need to know the caliber of the gun. 

I can see some old bastard not knowing this information, but this is vital information that EVERY gun owner should know and better know if they bought for self defense, otherwise what are ya doin?

Do you think every American that buys a firearm for self defence has done so in a fashion where they have read everything they were meant to, or paid full attention to everything said to them?   These Americans being the same Americans who regularly have quiz shows to prove that there is a sizeable portion of the population, much like every population across the world, where people are thick as shit.  Not just because of the education system, but because they haven't paid attention to anything, or they just don't care.

If there are plenty people like that in America, why is it so absolutely mind boggling to assume that people would roleplay a character who is ignorant, uninformed or just disinterested?   Why should they all be able to tell you exactly what type of ammo they bought for that firearm like it's a pop quiz?  

Even if it was a pop quiz, and there were 30% of Americans in the city who didn't know what sort of rounds go into their Glock 22? Why are we taking that OOC and calling it out as bad roleplay?    We're playing characters, they are meant to have flaws.

5 minutes ago, Syke said:

Do you think every American that buys a firearm for self defence has done so in a fashion where they have read everything they were meant to, or paid full attention to everything said to them?   These Americans being the same Americans who regularly have quiz shows to prove that there is a sizeable portion of the population, much like every population across the world, where people are thick as shit.  Not just because of the education system, but because they haven't paid attention to anything, or they just don't care.

If there are plenty people like that in America, why is it so absolutely mind boggling to assume that people would roleplay a character who is ignorant, uninformed or just disinterested?   Why should they all be able to tell you exactly what type of ammo they bought for that firearm like it's a pop quiz?  

Even if it was a pop quiz, and there were 30% of Americans in the city who didn't know what sort of rounds go into their Glock 22? Why are we taking that OOC and calling it out as bad roleplay?    We're playing characters, they are meant to have flaws.

Because the caliber is stamped onto the slide. Just like the fibre content in your bowl of cereal. It's like not knowing what shoe size you wear but you refuse to look at the tag on your shoes.

why is this post even a thing and why are people even still commenting on it?

this entire thing just screams "im an illegal rper and im sick of civilians stopping me from commiting crimes against them with their pf guns" lmao its america half the country wants guns and the other half wants to take them away. deal with it? if anything you SHOULD have a gun to protect yourself, LS is like a fuckin warzone because of how trigger happy people are. and thinking you need to know even basic details to own a gun is a joke, there's people out there with firearms that learn as minimal as possible and buy one once able, then forget everything they've learned because they never train or practice.

doesn't deserve/shouldn't have doesnt equate to doesnt own, unfortunately.

Edited by ?????????
Just now, NickXI said:

Because the caliber is stamped onto the slide. Just like the fibre content in your bowl of cereal. It's like not knowing what shoe size you wear but you refuse to look at the tag on your shoes.

No, that's still not how this works.

If I have the number 12 written on the side of my arm while I'm asleep, and I'm too lazy or disinterested to look at it, how would I know what number is there without checking?

I can't believe this is a point that's struggling to hit home.   Some people don't give enough of a shit to check, no matter how American they are.

4 minutes ago, ThatMuricanGuy said:

Just a heads up, the caliber of the firearm is almost always engraved into the barrel or the side of the firearm. 

Nobody is disagreeing with that, the conversation we're having is that if someone never looks at that, for whatever reason, we shouldn't be calling that bad roleplay lol.

3 minutes ago, Syke said:

Nobody is disagreeing with that, the conversation we're having is that if someone never looks at that, for whatever reason, we shouldn't be calling that bad roleplay lol.

Why not? Nobody seems to have an issue with giving their firearm ammo because they can just get generic pistol ammo. If you don't know what your gun uses ICly, then why is it ok to feed it ammo if you don't know what kind of ammo it's supposed to use. 

2 minutes ago, ThatMuricanGuy said:

Why not? Nobody seems to have an issue with giving their firearm ammo because they can just get generic pistol ammo. If you don't know what your gun uses ICly, then why is it ok to feed it ammo if you don't know what kind of ammo it's supposed to use. 

If you walked into a gun store and purchased a pistol, and asked for three boxes of their reccomendation for rounds with it, does the person behind the counter refuse unless you tell them which caliber?  I'd be inclined to believe they'd just pick up the boxes and hand you them.

Obviously, this would be on the basis that you could legally purchase said firearm at that store.

Edited by Syke
  • Wuhtah locked this topic