Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

12 minutes ago, Syke said:

I think you're basing a lot of your opinion on your own personal experience and that of people you know and relate to, because you have the same interests.

Like I said, most people in America will know that their gun shoots, and will have ammo and the firearm stored in their property,  If they never shoot, they never need to buy ammo and therefore have no reason to know the calibre of their firearm.   If they needed to purchase more ammo a simple google search would tell them what to buy.  

I hate to break it to you, but the majority of gun owners own firearms to protect themselves at home, and the entire country isn't packed from coast to coast with gun nuts who sit and memorize the booklet that came with their Taurus TX 22 as soon as they get home like a kid with a video game in the 90's reading the manual back to front.

Anyone who owns a firearm knows what caliber it fires, nobody buys a gun but not ammo for it. It's similar to driving a car, you don't have to be a car enthusiast to know that you drive a Honda Civic. Just like how you don't have to be a gun enthusiast to be a firearms carrier. But at the absolute minimum, people will know the caliber of their firearm. These are all basic things a gun store owner will ask you when purchasing. Not to mention, many handguns have the caliber they fire stamped onto the barrel or the receiver.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, NickXI said:

Anyone who owns a firearm knows what caliber it fires, nobody buys a gun but not ammo for it. It's similar to driving a car, you don't have to be a car enthusiast to know that you drive a Honda Civic. Just like how you don't have to be a gun enthusiast to be a firearms carrier. But at the absolute minimum, people will know the caliber of their firearm. These are all basic things a gun store owner will ask you when purchasing. Not to mention, many handguns have the caliber they fire stamped onto the barrel or the receiver.

If I buy a Glock with a box of shells, stick it in the drawer in my bedroom and never shoot it.  Why on earth would I need to remember the calibre of the weapon?

Just now, Syke said:

If I buy a Glock with a box of shells, stick it in the drawer in my bedroom and never shoot it.  Why on earth would I need to remember the calibre of the weapon?

You definitely don't deserve and are not responsible enough to own a firearm. Simple as that. 

Just now, CULTure said:

You definitely don't deserve and are not responsible enough to own a firearm. Simple as that. 

Which is an opinion, not a fact.

Fact is, not every American that owns a firearm has it strapped to their hip at all times, and they don't have gun safes, they don't all clean their weapon once a month.   The idea that you genuinely believe that is laughable.

1 minute ago, Syke said:

Which is an opinion, not a fact.

Fact is, not every American that owns a firearm has it strapped to their hip at all times, and they don't have gun safes, they don't all clean their weapon once a month.   The idea that you genuinely believe that is laughable.

Its literally not and you're choosing to ignore the actual point I made. You're ignorance is laughable. Have a nice day. 

Just now, CULTure said:

Its literally not and you're choosing to ignore the actual point I made. You're ignorance is laughable. Have a nice day. 

I'm making a point that not all American's do things the way you say you do things, and you're sidestepping it.   I'm trying to repeat this part so that it gets through that skull.

Not every American uses firearms the way you use firearms.

I mean half the stuff you're preaching for the last page and a bit is a bit moot when you can generalise the required RP needed to use a gun as:

/Me ups his Glock. 

Then start shooting. This isn't a fallout or a stalker server where everything is rotting or rusty. If asked about it people can just NPC it and say they took It somewhere to be cleaned. Realistically they're going to hopefully have to use it once or twice in their life where the box of boomy rocks you were given / bought on the stores reccomendation will last them. Do people need to RP the differences between brass and steel casings? Do people need to RP the difference between basic ball or a Hollow Point? Do people need to RP the difference between +P and normal load cartridges?

Point is for 90% of the server the RP knowledge for a gun starts at /me ups his Glock and ends when they start left clicking. No safety, no loading, no reloading, no malfunctions, nothing. 

Edited by Edelweiss206
22 hours ago, CULTure said:

Americans have the right to bear arms (more or less regulated, depending on the area). In quite a few cases, buying weapons or ammunition is as easy as walking into a grocery store and buying some apples. I don't think that owning a weapon means you're a weapon enthusiast.

It's the same with cars. I'm driving a decent car. I've had upgrades done to it by just going to a garage or shop and asking. I am clueless around cars though. If it breaks down, I have to take it to a garage. It's not ideal, it would be way better to know more but I'm simply not interested in the matter. There's tons of people just like this. Cars can be a hobby but for tons of people, it's a utility.

Same with guns. There's weapon enthusiasts out there and there's people who only buy guns to protect themselves. I myself know quite a few people who own guns and hate the idea but chose to do so in order to be safer at home. While it's true that for some it's a hobby, guns are still just tools. If you only bought it in case of emergency, loaded it and put it in the drawer, you might as well have no clue how (or that you have) to clean it nor what rounds go in the chamber.

But again, it's the same situation. You can say you're not deserving or responsible enough to have a firearm just like you can say the same about a car. At the end of the day, no one really cares about that since you're able to buy both while being totally clueless. That's just the way it is.   

23 hours ago, Syke said:

I'm making a point that not all American's do things the way you say you do things, and you're sidestepping it.   I'm trying to repeat this part so that it gets through that skull.

Not every American uses firearms the way you use firearms.

If you can't even name what caliber of gun you're using you don't deserve to own a firearm, that's basic information. How would you even have ammunition for your gun and not know what caliber it is? 

• Wuhtah locked this topic