Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

On 12/24/2020 at 3:31 AM, Fusco said:

Many things that you will read, you will find as cliché and obvious as possible. But they are beyond facts that must be discussed.

Without further ado, I end here, I know that many people generally don't like texts that are too long and / or complex. Hope this helps.

Here is something which is beyond a fact, it's called the US Constitution & I'd suggest reading it.

https://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm

A US Citizen does not need to justify gun ownership to anyone and they are, guaranteed by law their right to bear arms.

As for the difficulty to learn? That's nonsense. While you're not going to be taking a gun apart and giving it a complete overhaul, you can learn to load and fire a gun and hit a target at 30 yards in a single lesson.

It's not rocket science and if any European on these forums ever finds themselves with the fortune of visiting the US, I'd heartily recommend spending a few hours down a gun range to experience just that.

• Applaud 1

I think the intended message was that not every single character needs to be armed at all times and absolutely ready to murder in case someone tries to take that sweet sweet pixel dollarino, but the message was lost somewhere about sentence four of the novella.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, my biggest issue. Is the lack of realism and understanding of firearms in the server as a whole. Have a shred of knowledge and work at the gun store. I swear, 90% of the people I interacted with had very little understanding. Like, you're purchasing a firearm AFTER you got your CCW but you don't know what "caliber" your gun is? You don't know it doesn't have a safety? You don't know the different carrying positions or draw techniques? 

Maybe I'm being too critical about it, which is fair. But like... A little bit of research regarding firearms in general might do you good. And maybe I'm just being nitpicky because spent a lot of time around firearms, I understand a lot of people don't get the chance to or don't want to. But if the server wants to promote realism, its up to everyone to bring the standard up. 

This doesn't really pertain to most illegal roleplayers besides for maybe weapon suppliers or people actively selling guns as their hustle. 

TLDR: If you have a CCW and PF license your character should know at least something about firearms.

1 hour ago, CULTure said:

Honestly, my biggest issue. Is the lack of realism and understanding of firearms in the server as a whole. Have a shred of knowledge and work at the gun store. I swear, 90% of the people I interacted with had very little understanding. Like, you're purchasing a firearm AFTER you got your CCW but you don't know what "caliber" your gun is? You don't know it doesn't have a safety? You don't know the different carrying positions or draw techniques? 

Maybe I'm being too critical about it, which is fair. But like... A little bit of research regarding firearms in general might do you good. And maybe I'm just being nitpicky because spent a lot of time around firearms, I understand a lot of people don't get the chance to or don't want to. But if the server wants to promote realism, its up to everyone to bring the standard up. 

This doesn't really pertain to most illegal roleplayers besides for maybe weapon suppliers or people actively selling guns as their hustle. 

TLDR: If you have a CCW and PF license your character should know at least something about firearms.

Do you genuinely believe most Americans who have concealed carry permits, or own a firearm know the calibre of their gun or draw techniques?   There will be people who know this stuff yes, but there will also be a group of them will have been told the specific details of the firearm when they bought the gun and now they keep the gun in their house for their safety.

Not everyone who carries a legal gun is going to be a gun enthusiast, you're just being nitpicky because you know these things.

43 minutes ago, Syke said:

Do you genuinely believe most Americans who have concealed carry permits, or own a firearm know the calibre of their gun or draw techniques?   There will be people who know this stuff yes, but there will also be a group of them will have been told the specific details of the firearm when they bought the gun and now they keep the gun in their house for their safety.

Not everyone who carries a legal gun is going to be a gun enthusiast, you're just being nitpicky because you know these things.

It honestly just seems like you're coming from a place of ignorance about America, guns and the people who own them. I am a current CCW holder. Trust me when I say... MAJORITY of LEGAL gun owners know "this stuff". Not the other way around. 

Do I expect everyone to know everything? God no. But it would be nice if you knew the basics, instead of walking into a gun store and looking like a fool. It takes twenty minutes of research and would bring the general firearm RP up to a not cringe worthy level. Is that such a bad thing? 

Edited by CULTure
Just now, CULTure said:

It honestly just seems like you're coming from a place of ignorance about America, guns and the people who own them. I am a current CCW holder. Trust me when I say... MAJORITY of LEGAL gun owners know "this stuff". Not the other way around. 

I think you're basing a lot of your opinion on your own personal experience and that of people you know and relate to, because you have the same interests.

Like I said, most people in America will know that their gun shoots, and will have ammo and the firearm stored in their property,  If they never shoot, they never need to buy ammo and therefore have no reason to know the calibre of their firearm.   If they needed to purchase more ammo a simple google search would tell them what to buy.  

I hate to break it to you, but the majority of gun owners own firearms to protect themselves at home, and the entire country isn't packed from coast to coast with gun nuts who sit and memorize the booklet that came with their Taurus TX 22 as soon as they get home like a kid with a video game in the 90's reading the manual back to front.

Just now, Syke said:

I think you're basing a lot of your opinion on your own personal experience and that of people you know and relate to, because you have the same interests.

Like I said, most people in America will know that their gun shoots, and will have ammo and the firearm stored in their property,  If they never shoot, they never need to buy ammo and therefore have no reason to know the calibre of their firearm.   If they needed to purchase more ammo a simple google search would tell them what to buy.  

I hate to break it to you, but the majority of gun owners own firearms to protect themselves at home, and the entire country isn't packed from coast to coast with gun nuts who sit and memorize the booklet that came with their Taurus TX 22 as soon as they get home like a kid with a video game in the 90's reading the manual back to front.

I'm basing my "opinion" off of being around firearms and people who own firearms? It cannot get more based.

I'm not asking for you memorize some bullshit. I'm asking to try a little harder to accurately portray the majority of people who own a firearm to bring the firearm RP up to a realistic standard by using BASIC KNOWLEDGE if you posses a PF license. Such as, "DOES MY GLOCK 17 HAVE A SAFTEY?" "WHAT AMMO DOES MY GUN USE TO GO BANG" and a little bit more if you posses a CCW because, that would be REALISTIC.

Why is that so much to ask?

• Wuhtah locked this topic