Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

Just now, Sush said:

They're worth it for criminals and organizations that are worth it. I'm referring to putting a gigantic amount of effort into accounts that are less than 24 hours old and will be gone just as soon as they showed up

And how do you differentiate that? You just pointed out Davis where there's an 8 month old faction with 8 month old characters.

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

If robberies were roleplayed properly, I think people wouldn't be stalling, don't you think? The street goes both ways.

Absolutely incorrect, people don’t need items to roleplay and it shows you’re valuing that over proper roleplay. Also you blame illegal role players for robbing people in areas outside of the ghetto but not the police for only patrolling the ghetto looking for free and easy kills and shootings 

Just now, Stiggz said:

Absolutely incorrect, people don’t need items to roleplay and it shows you’re valuing that over proper roleplay. Also you blame illegal role players for robbing people in areas outside of the ghetto but not the police for only patrolling the ghetto looking for free and easy kills and shootings 

I don't really blame anyone, for the tango you need two people. All I am saying, that this is text server. That means it's turn based roleplay. If the cops come around, you can always ask them kindly to wait as there is a robbery in progress and you are waiting for the victim to finish their turn. If not then just finish the rp and report. Really robberies usually take only little time, cause victim is held up and either quickly tackled down or beaten up and whatever is quickest to take, taken. People don;t spend time going through pockets, quickly reach into whatever is at hand and run away. But as long as you have to type everything, you need to give them their time, if they do not rp. Wrap up the scene asap through rp and report.

2 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Defending yourself can land you a solid time in prison IF the methods used are inadequate. Say someone charges at you with an axe, you stab him 5 times with a knife. That's improper self-defence. Shooting him to death is again improper self-defence. Headshots are improper self-defence and 99% of the server always go for headshots like it's damn CoD. Criminals and civs alike. Also stepping in and shooting someone that does not put you in immediate danger aka isn't directly after you, is considered murder. And we have plenty of civ players willing to step in and shoot to death anyone who ambushes someone in their vicinity. Which is the problem.

Hit the nail right on the head.

America is a gun loving nation and while a lot of people own guns a vast majority are for sport. I wouldn't be arguing on this thread if the vast majority of people just had shotguns/rifles they took out to the range every once and awhile. however, people treat CCW permits with the same normality as they do driver's licenses on this server. Sure in rural areas and southern states this might be the case. But in a major metropolitan area? Not even close. 

As @Engelbertexplains, self defense isn't as straight forward as people like to believe and it's a mine field of red tape for people who make the decision to actively carry every day. Almost every business or institution (Schools, public buildings, government buildings, parks, etc) bans any type of firearm on their property and the 2nd Amendment doesn't protect you if you violate those rules. Same thing with transporting your firearm in a vehicle. In the state of California, simply having a CCW doesn't put you above gun laws. Are you keeping your gun in your inventory? Congrats, you've violated the law. Even with a CCW your firearm needs to be disassembled and unloaded as well as stored in a locked compartment while in a vehicle.

CCW needs to be reworked to reflect the red tape in real life. The gun market is for the most part black and white. If your a legal character you apply for CCW and if your a criminal you find a supplier. In reality, the gun market is much more grey. The vast majority of people who currently hold CCW's don't have any valid realistic reason to have them and no, the IC crime rate isn't a valid reason.

Am I saying that you shouldn't be allowed to have firearms period? Absolutely not. If you feel the need to have a firearm but don't have a valid reason in the eyes of the law you should be forced to find other means of getting a firearm via an illegal supplier or someone with a CCW who would sell you a gun under the table.

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 1

It's amusing that most of the people who want legal RPers to have a harder time obtaining firearms have profile pictures with gangsters or mobs in them.

If you have a problem with this, you either 1) don't understand American culture very well, or 2) want the server to adopt standards of selective realism that favor your style of play.

Before we start thinking about gun accessibility, why not address its direct corollary in the crime rate first? San Andreas vastly outperforms most US cities combined when you take population into account - that's because we're playing an inherently and irreversibly unrealistic game. This isn't a small margin either - St. Louis is the violent crime capital of the nation, and by population, about 0.6% of them are the victims of violent crime per year. If we're generous and say that we have 10,000 total players on the server, would anyone dare suggest we have anywhere near 60 violent crimes on the server per year?

No wonder PD can't be bothered to keep up with it all - and they're not even real officers.

You think the entire server would go out and buy guns if they only had a 0.6% chance of being mugged, robbed, shot at, etc that year? I chose the most dangerous city in the country to compare Los Santos with for a reason - the incentives for criminal behavior are so lucrative that I'm not even willing to humor an argument for "stricter" gun control just because Los Santos happens to be a city.

I'd go so far as to say that unless you're concerned about the crime rate too, you don't actually care about realism except when it's inconvenient to you.

5 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

It's amusing that most of the people who want legal RPers to have a harder time obtaining firearms have profile pictures with gangsters or mobs in them.

If you have a problem with this, you either 1) don't understand American culture very well, or 2) want the server to adopt standards of selective realism that favor your style of play.

Before we start thinking about gun accessibility, why not address its direct corollary in the crime rate first? San Andreas vastly outperforms most US cities combined when you take population into account - that's because we're playing an inherently and irreversibly unrealistic game. This isn't a small margin either - St. Louis is the violent crime capital of the nation, and by population, about 0.6% of them are the victims of violent crime per year. If we're generous and say that we have 10,000 total players on the server, would anyone dare suggest we have anywhere near 60 violent crimes on the server per year?

No wonder PD can't be bothered to keep up with it all - and they're not even real officers.

You think the entire server would go out and buy guns if they only had a 0.6% chance of being mugged, robbed, shot at, etc that year? I chose the most dangerous city in the country to compare Los Santos with for a reason - the incentives for criminal behavior are so lucrative that I'm not even willing to humor an argument for "stricter" gun control just because Los Santos happens to be a city.

I'd go so far as to say that unless you're concerned about the crime rate too, you don't actually care about realism except when it's inconvenient to you.

“You don’t understand American culture” 

you don’t understand California culture, it’s a liberal hippie state where getting a gun is about as easy as getting a pilots license. Quit crying about illegal Roleplayers and learn to make connections so you can get guns illegally, but it shouldn’t be this easy to get a firearm on the server if we’re trying to portray California. Inb4 “this isn’t California this is San Andreas!” That’s the argument every legal RP’er makes when they want easy guns, but the moment they get robbed “here’s a picture of the area I was robbed irl it’s very busy!!!”

• Upvote 1

The access to firearms isn't really a problem. Problem IS and always been...the players as usual.

What's realistic to you, usually isn't realistic to others. This is a problem in any roleplaying community, especially in those with open PVP.

You walk down a street and you see a car that just passed you, making a u-turn with all four guys inside possibly putting masks on their heads.

That's common occurence on server, sometimes I think that dressing up all in camo with a helmet, grabbing an M4 and pretend that I am in the middle of Baghdad is more realistic than what we actually roleplay. Also the usual "Shot for snitching". Bruh a random person dialing 911 is not snitching and never was. Snitching is a complex process usually involving informers. The amount of civs carrying a gun and deciding to use it is equal to people reported daily for sup-par robberies. Also each US state has own regulations of 2nd Amendment, having a license doesn't necessarily mean you can carry it and use it anywhere. Infact most of businesses prohibit carrying a firearm with you and by entering their property you agree with their regulations.

But honestly before people actually find and understand the core of the problem...I will teach my old dog ten new tricks.

Edited by Engelbert

I think Fusco brings up a good point. Everybody knows that PF's and CCW's are often times abused by the people who have them. There's no good reason for someone to engage in a conflict that doesn't effect them if they do have a gun. People across the board tend to ignore this, and forget that firefights are deadly. It should be considered a break of fearRP, and thus CKable, to get involved in a firefight that does not concern you.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Ted said:

I think Fusco brings up a good point. Everybody knows that PF's and CCW's are often times abused by the people who have them. There's no good reason for someone to engage in a conflict that doesn't effect them if they do have a gun. People across the board tend to ignore this, and forget that firefights are deadly. It should be considered a break of fearRP, and thus CKable, to get involved in a firefight that does not concern you.

THANK you.

• Wuhtah locked this topic