Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

If criminals are allowed to terrorize whoever they want, when they want and with whatever weapons they want, why shouldn't a legal character carry a firearm to defend themselves?

Owning a firearm has saved my character's life. Two men with switchblades chased and tried to stab me to death, rob my dead corpse and disappear. Mind you, my character is a law-abiding citizen who never has or wants to inflict harm on anyone... yet they still wanted to cut me open and watch me bleed to death. Unfortunately I had to pull my CCW gun and shoot the two of them to death to protect myself. With that being said, I don't regret what I had to do. 

You assume that most legal characters obtain a firearm through illegal means - which is simply not true. Most legal characters go through the process of earning their PF license and CCW license then obtaining a firearm with a serial number. We are taught how to properly store our guns and then we typically RP going to a shooting range to learn how to use our guns. 

Why would you wanna obtain an illegal weapon as a "legal" character in the first place? That makes literally zero sense and it's just like... like, imagine being able to solve a mathematical problem in two minutes, but you choose to go around everything and make it a thirty minute long process, solving random, unnecessary crap whilst the simple two-minute solution is obtaining a legal firearm through the LSPD FLD.

If you solve the problem using the second option, then if you get caught, people are literally going to ask you "What the hell is wrong with you why didn't you just go with the first, simple option?".

Bad analogy, but you get the point. There is a reason why (on most RP servers) illegal factions do not sell guns to civilians on a regular basis. It's mainly to avoid getting shit for it, but also to avoid any risks of that civilian causing fuss. You don't want your faction to have a bad rep for supplying retards with guns. If you're a "legal" civilian, get a PF/CCW combo and don't even bother with trying to get an illegal weapon, it makes zero sense to take multiple risks involved in this kind of process. PF/CCW is cheaper, safer, and if you bend the rules correctly (talking IC rules not OOC ones, don't break rules), in case shit hits the fan, you can end up being a hero.

The only situation where I'd consider it a good idea is if your character has a record or something. But if your character has a record, shouldn't said character be more focused on setting their life straight and not getting involved in the same sort of things that put them in jail or court in the first place?

• Developer
On 12/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, Juicy said:

It’s definitely not 40-50 every day, it mostly depends on the day. Also, the thing this thread seems to think is that we are some communist shithole like Europe where defending yourself gets you put in prison for murder- that’s not true. I even read about a murder once where a group of gang members tried to do a drive by on another gang member, the gang member pulled out a gun and killed one of the shooters, and he was actually acquitted of his murder charge because of self defense, even with an illegal gun. 

can confirm, I live in europe and whenever I don't have to drink coffee made from snow, I have to wait in line for foodstamps.

Still I agree with this thread's original post.

• Upvote 2

Defending yourself can land you a solid time in prison IF the methods used are inadequate. Say someone charges at you with an axe, you stab him 5 times with a knife. That's improper self-defence. Shooting him to death is again improper self-defence. Headshots are improper self-defence and 99% of the server always go for headshots like it's damn CoD. Criminals and civs alike. Also stepping in and shooting someone that does not put you in immediate danger aka isn't directly after you, is considered murder. And we have plenty of civ players willing to step in and shoot to death anyone who ambushes someone in their vicinity. Which is the problem.

On 12/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, ayame said:

Feels like i’m playing Brazil RP. Any time i’ve been robbed its on a public, main road sidewalk. Never in secluded areas. So I think I will keep my gun, yes! And roleplaying a constant fear of criminals robbing me in broad daylight and on main roads, and will continue to carry my legal weapon everywhere, because there is nowhere but admin approved areas you cannot get robbed. Ridiculous that criminals don’t have to RP any fear when robbing. Oh see a victim standing alone in the road? GET HER get the money get the gun! But what about fear of being seen? Passing people? Cars? Police? Why not lure someone to an alley and or secluded area? Nah just pull up on a bike real quick and up your TEC with a mask on. But if I shoot someone RUNNING up to me full sprint with a weapon out and mask on I’d be jailed for DM, even though its clear what someone in a mask with a gun is going to do to me. Yikes! 

It’s hilarious to me that legal RP’ers bitch on forums about illegal RP’ers not roleplaying fear whenever 80 percent of the time you stall for 5 entire minutes hoping that a cop will come by and save you. 

22 minutes ago, Stiggz said:

It’s hilarious to me that legal RP’ers bitch on forums about illegal RP’ers not roleplaying fear whenever 80 percent of the time you stall for 5 entire minutes hoping that a cop will come by and save you. 

If robberies were roleplayed properly, I think people wouldn't be stalling, don't you think? The street goes both ways.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, Sush said:

Hey guys put months of investigation into characters with 3 hours on them only to have them namechange when you come down on them. The issue you're referring to is this: People create alts which are already in their main's gang. A member from that gang tells them to 'hold' a pistol or whatever when they've got less than an hour on the server, and that alt takes care of the business and then goes away just as quickly. Besides, most gangs last a couple weeks at most.

I had someone rob my character last week and when they realized the cops were coming down on them as a result they namechanged to add an additional 'e' to their last name, claiming that this made then a new character and not able to prosecuted; despite being literally the same person. End of the day, 80% of the people dying in Davis aren't worth investigating because their existence is indifferent in the long run.

Even if we do arrest these people. They go to jail for what, two days? That is if they don't CK in jail and re-create their character again. It's the same problem the extortion thread has where crimes like this aren't stoppable in the long run because of how easy it is to make a new 'banger alt 9000' and go ham.

Lol, so what's the point of having detectives if investigations aren't worth it?

2 minutes ago, Certified Lover Boy Jola said:

Lol, so what's the point of having detectives if investigations aren't worth it?

They're worth it for criminals and organizations that are worth it. I'm referring to putting a gigantic amount of effort into accounts that are less than 24 hours old and will be gone just as soon as they showed up

• Wuhtah locked this topic