Why your character shouldn't have a gun

Fusco

59 minutes ago, Fusco said:

lxehpT4.png

Even assuming that this statistic is 100% accurate, which I imagine it is, this isn't an argument for whether people should or shouldn't pursue a firearms license in game. If we're talking percentages, then shit, GTA:W might as well be a different planet compared to the US. Close to 0% of GTA:W characters have any form of debt, whereas irl that's closer to 80%. On GTA:W EVERYONE owns a vehicle, whereas irl it's closer to 85%. Irl the population is split about 50/50 into males and females, but on GTA:W it's more like 90/10. You gotta have an actual argument as to WHY those guns are not a good idea. LS is crime infested. If you ask me, it's non-rp to not own a gun in this shithole.

Wait, this is supposed to be a guide? Oh lord no.

10 hours ago, Fusco said:

Many things that you will read, you will find as cliché and obvious as possible. But they are beyond facts that must be discussed.
Most newcomers who enter the server already arrive with the mentality of purchasing a weapon. "Oh, I'm in GTA, I want to be the CJ of the roleplay". If you think so, you are wrong. You are a trucker, who doesn't even stop at home, who doesn't even talk to his family because he's trying to earn a living during his travels. (Believe me, the trucker system is unrealistic, but let's not get into the details. A trucker does not get rich in the way that is possible inside the server.)

You are assaulted by a group of blacks or mobsters who steal cargo, or who simply need your truck / van to transport something illegal. To react? It is the last option. And last is still little. Having a gun pointed at the head is a shock far deeper than anyone can imagine. A simple ball of paint or a miserable airsoft ball hurts, can pierce the skin and leave it scarred for days. Imagine a real weapon that fires metallic projectiles at the speed of /light/. 

So first of all, most newcomers wish to enlist in criminal roleplay, or join a law enforcement faction.. To them, possession of a firearm is an important part of that and that's not untrue. It is bold of you to assume every new player to the server wishes to be a trucker. Infact I would argue this is strike one of your bias towards this guide. So much for beyond facts. But I digress. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You're saying that having a gun pointed at you is mentally damaging and this is why you shouldn't have a gun? Your argument makes no sense.

Also, speed of sound. It fires at the speed of sound. Not the speed of light. Strike two.

10 hours ago, Fusco said:

A trucker has a family, has duties as a citizen and as a family man. He does not think of acquiring a firearm for self-defense, overnight, just because he was assaulted, just because he had a gun or a blade pointed at his head, because he was threatened and humiliated. Not even. Having a gun is much more serious than you might think. An American citizen has the same weekly workload as a Brazilian, taking into account that: a truck driver just doesn't work when he wants to. He has a contract, he has bosses, he has people above him in the corporate hierarchy. It exists, nothing works as in the game. If you are a trucker, you need to work.

I see we're continuing with this trucker example. I guess nobody else matters, right? You're also continuing the assumption that 99.99% of truckers have a family and are all 100% morally straight. 

I would disagree, heavily. A traumatic experience involving a criminal, and his gun, is the exact kind of experience someone would need to go from not wanting a gun to wanting a gun. If you're threatened with a gun and the only reason you couldn't stop that was because you did not have a gun, well I think the solution explains itself. Sure, owning a firearm is serious. You need to be responsible, both in storage and possession. But it's not a crime. It's a right. You've lost me again. What relevance does that of an American citizen have to a Brazilian citizen compared to the rest of the world? What's special about Brazil? And again, I'm lost. Why are you explaining that a trucker has to work and has bosses? How does this differ from any other job and how does it contribute to the discussion?

11 hours ago, Fusco said:

If you are a trucker, you need to work.

If you need to work, you need to be alive.

"I was robbed, I'm going to buy a weapon to defend myself, hehe ...". Pff.

Yes! Correct!

Once again, you are wrong.

Nani?!

Let us start with something undeniable: you will not be working armed. Not even the dumbest guy in the world would do that. You leave the house armed, get your truck and make your money. He is transporting his cargo and ends up crossing a police vehicle. The policeman suspects your common sense, conjectures that you are taking something illegal and decides to follow you. You know you're not carrying anything wrong, but you carry an illegal firearm with you. This is not only serious for you, but also for the company you work for, for the state of Los Santos, for your youngest son who is at school.

Bearing in mind that being armed is a contestable act, you leave your gun at home and go to work normally. His wife takes care of the house every day and decides to pack some things in her room. A gun is not that simple to hide like that. We are not talking about a marble, an ordinary trucker does not have a secret room hidden behind an automatic bookcase that opens with a little button attached to the wall, also dimmed. Not even a police officer is convinced that it is safe to leave a firearm stored at home, since he works with weapons provided by the police department, with numbers and documents.

Who are you to decide if someone will be working while armed or not? Your gun is useless if you can't use it. I think you underestimate how many people go about their jobs while a concealed holster is on their person. Of course you do! It's a concealed holster, that's its job! You? He? What perspective are we going with? Anyway. Again, bold of you to assume not only does everyone have a family and children, but that the only way to acquire a firearm is through illegal means. This is America. You can just, buy one. You don't need to go to your local crack dealer. A gun is very simple to hide. It's not a large item. A handgun, atleast. It is perfectly safe to leave a firearm at home. Do you think that every gun owner in America owns just one firearm? Do you know what a gun safe is?

We all have psychological, we have feelings. Even John Gotti had, that is undeniable. It takes much more than a motivation to have a weapon to acquire it. Bravery, ethical knowledge and trust are needed. It is not simple for you to find someone who sells a weapon, it is not easy for you to acquire a weapon from a criminal claiming to have been mugged. A smart criminal would usually hit you or simply send you out. If you have been mugged by a criminal, who makes his living in the same way as he, he will never sell you a firearm. He knows that you will try to take revenge, and this criminal who assaulted you may be someone close to him, he may be an enemy or even someone bigger than him. If he is found out, it will cost him his life. And not only his, yours will be the main one.

Correct. We all do have feelings. Now let's move back on topic. You're right, the motivation is only one part of the process to acquiring a firearm. The other part is money. It's a pretty even 50/50 split. You go to the gun store. You ask to buy a firearm. That's the motivation. Then you hand over the few hundred dollars asked of you. That's the money. This also covers your next point of finding someone who sells a weapon. A gun store. Hint's in the name. A smart criminal? A smart criminal will do a lot of things. Fortunately, most criminals are not. Fortunately, criminals have not mastered the art in memory loss so even if they knock you out, you're going to know you were fucking mugged lmao. Also, why are you assuming you're trying to buy a firearm from the same criminal that robbed you? What kind of crazy shit are you even thinking up? Selling firearms, legal or otherwise, is a business. An underground firearms dealer will want to retain their customer base. Fucking  with their customers is a sure way to lose customers and lose money.

These are the most obvious reasons why a civilian should not have a gun at home. Much more than psychological is required to own a weapon. Remember that possession is different from possession. Possession is having, carrying is carrying. In this case, you would be breaking two state laws. It is too serious for a truck driver or any other individual. In addition to being arrested, spending years in prison, watching the sun rise square, you lose the family's trust, you start to be treated like a pauper. You have your dirty name, you lose your rights as a citizen, like voting, participating in government programs, enrolling in a college, making certain types of purchases, you lose privileges.

These are the most obvious reasons why you're so incredibly out of touch with not only America, but reality. This is insane. "possession is different from possession." What does that even mean? You're still assuming that A) the firearm is illegal and B) the person is a trucker. Laughable.

Oh, if you go to jail you lose the ability to make certain types of purchases? Like WHAT? FIREARMS? GASP. crazy.

Think that your family refuses you and that you are now a notorious criminal, negatively marked by the penal code. This is also not common, it causes depression, it causes critical problems, both physical and mental. Having a weapon, being a civilian, is something much more reserved for those who develop something heavy in the character. Someone who had family someone who saw his wife or any other woman in his family fall victim to sodomy. It is a considerable blow to owning a weapon, but in extreme cases it does. No one loses their parents or watches someone being raped so easily or frequently.

NOTORIOUS CRIMINAL? FOR AN UNLICENSED FIREARM POSSESSION? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Honestly, I can't deal with this entire paragraph.

Not to mention that, a good citizen does not learn overnight to use a gun, to aim, and to shoot. A criminal doesn't like whoever serves the state. A criminal is not so kind as to sell a weapon to a stranger. This is off-axis, too much. No truck driver, taxi driver, whatever, gets enough affinity and confidence with a criminal that he'll hand you a firearm for a symbolic and salty amount of money. This requires a much more in-depth roleplay than anyone thinks. The criminal stereotyped person is usually a drug user, in most cases, and has psychological problems. He thinks he is being chased, that he is being investigated, he suffers frequent paranoias and it is not just any truck driver that will generate the confidence necessary for this to happen. In addition to the fact that it is not unusual for an American individual to have an illegal weapon, he will not be any offender who will grant him that trust.

Just like any skillset, you need to train with a gun. Practice. Learn it's funtions and learn how to shoot. Learn how to clean. Learn how to maintain. None of this is particularily difficult, for the record. A criminal doesn't like anyone who serves the state? You seem to be under some batshit crazy understanding that every criminal is an anarchist. Criminals come in all shapes and sizes. Criminals are not anti-establishment, anti-government anarchists. They do not hate anyone who isn't a criminal, or works at the fucking DMV lmao. The stereotype of a criminal might be a drug user, but that's exactly what it is. A stereotype. 

Believe me, it is much more complicated than you think. If you intend to have a gun, being a trucker, try to develop to the fullest, although most players find this out of place. All of this has already been well explained in the topic of GL, for those who have not read it, it is wasting time. "Why your character should NOT kill someone". This was just a complement to that. You always have to remember: this is RP and not RPG. You are not your character, you do not do what you want to do. There is a need for considerable depth in this.

Without further ado, I end here, I know that many people generally don't like texts that are too long and / or complex. Hope this helps.

Believe me, it is not complex at all. I have two guns. I have never needed to use them, but I still have them. Nothing in this thread has been well explained. This entire thread has been a flustercluck and nothing here has been factual, but instead based on a very narrow minded opinion that makes no real sense in the grand scheme of things.

12 hours ago, Fusco said:

All I'm trying to say is, the more civilians are using guns the more people are gonna get killed for poor reasons. IRL of course I know, I've lived in USA and I know how it works. But in the game, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have this is mind of ''I need a gun for protection or whatever''. Of course you can carry a gun if you want to, I'm not saying everyone shouldn't be allowed to. 

You sound like the kind of person that things assault weapons should be banned, 30 round clipazines should be banned, you only need a shotgun for hunting and the shoulder thing that goes up is deadly.

I'm a baker by career. I carry a firearm with me every day of the week. I don't live in a particularly dangerous town, nor do I do dangerous work. It is merely something I practice for a sense of security and safety for myself and my co-workers and family.

It's an American right to bear arms.

Edited by Mfinda
  • Applaud 2
1 hour ago, Fusco said:

IRL of course I know, I've lived in USA and I know how it works.

If there is one thing I can say about this thread, it's that you do not know how it works. This thread is an absolute train wreck of conjecture by someone who obviously has no idea what they're talking about. Well it's actually from several people, but they're closer to the point than you are.

Someone that's an admin 100% needs to take this out of the community guide section because holy shit. We don't want new and impressionable players reading this and the server becoming accidentally more European than it already is.

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. But I will take some of those faster than light bullets. I'll take them in 9mm, 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel. Appreciate you kindly, magic man.

• Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1
12 hours ago, Fusco said:

A simple ball of paint or a miserable airsoft ball hurts, can pierce the skin and leave it scarred for days. Imagine a real weapon that fires metallic projectiles at the speed of /light/. 

And this is why I'll be moving this to the discussions because this is simply, objectively incorrect.

• Upvote 2

If you're basing how you roleplay a characters approach to fear based on statistics, in my opinion, you're doing it incorrect. Fear and precaution should be based off situational awareness. With how rampant murder and gun crimes are within our version of Los Santos,  to the point that it rivals if not surpasses the murder capitals of the world, a majority of people carrying weapons is realistic. 

We're roleplaying in Los Santos, Los Santos is supposedly an imaginary state located somewhere in The United States of America on the West Coast and with that comes the fact it must be stained with the American culture. Now, I'm not actually American, I'm way too far from being American since I'm on the other side of the world, but I've engaged into some conversations with a bunch of my fellow American friends regarding guns and from what I've learnt that most Americans do love guns, and matter of fact most of them carry guns for they see it as a public right and not a felony. After all, it's an IC matter so deal with it IC

Currently the country with the highest homicide rate is El Salvador with 3,340 last year. That comes out to about 9.15 murders per day. Los Santos averages I'd guestimate between 30-50 murders on a slow day. There were battles in world war II with fewer casualties than what you can expect to experience on a typical afternoon in some parts of Los Santos. If we were really doing things based on crime rate it would be completely reasonable to buy an armoured car with a turret on top if we consider a homicide rate of 150/100000 or higher.

Buy a gun! Protect yourself! This post sponsored by ammunation

Edited by Sush
  • Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic