Remove the RPG element of Trucking

ThatDutchPerson

The problem is truck company owners in my experience hire first and don't do anything else. Hundreds of players are in a trucking company, so removing the levels of trucking would be horrible. Maybe if trucking companies stop lazing around and make dosh off of their truckers, sure, but right now? No. There needs to be more IC repercussions for management in trucking companies before we even think about changing anything. 

19 hours ago, m1m1m1 said:

Trucking at a higher level makes a broken amount of cash. No.

I moreso believe that we should change the potential outcome for truckers. It would make it not the only script job that's worth it in the long run, and we'd might even see more people roleplay their script jobs! (I know there are some good ones of you out there that does a phenomenal job, but a lot of people are just NYYYYYYOM.. The amount of trucks that's almost just killed me because they're driving like there's no tomorrow is tiresome, to put it mildly.

And should the potential cashout be changed, I might be in favor of the idea! I'd want the trucker license too, maybe even add some extra stuff like a small exam covering basics of what kind of goods go where and how it's stored. Nothing too hard that would require weeks of preparation, but moreso basics that'd incentivize truckers to have some basic knowledge they can use in their roleplay.

4 hours ago, Woona said:

The problem is truck company owners in my experience hire first and don't do anything else. Hundreds of players are in a trucking company, so removing the levels of trucking would be horrible. Maybe if trucking companies stop lazing around and make dosh off of their truckers, sure, but right now? No. There needs to be more IC repercussions for management in trucking companies before we even think about changing anything. 

And I'd want a hard and good look at trucking companies just like Woona. We are supposed to be a heavy roleplay server, and trucking should be something people do primarily for the roleplay aspect and not just the cashout. I think there's become a lot of different sources of income that could be more heavily utilized, instead of everyone and their mother being a trucker on the side.

Edited by Protheus
added own reasoning
23 minutes ago, Protheus said:

We are supposed to be a heavy roleplay server, and trucking should be something people do primarily for the roleplay aspect and not just the cashout

The current simulation is as heavy as gets*.

Not simulating the delivery aspect won't improve that- on the contrary.

The current system allows to maintain a functioning supply chain without to have to personally kick everyone's ass to ensure basic supplies in stores.

It's a total misconception that doing stuff that would make money irl "for the rp only" makes the portrayal better- I'd any day argue that for tasks that would make money, it makes the portrayal worse effectively.

Where's your character motivation then?

Are you gonna tell your business investors in /b to not expect any revenue as you do it only for the rp?

The same counts for trucking.

Remove a valid, realistic ic motivation to do it, and instead of a functioning delivery chain, we'll have @ThatDutchPersonroaming in her mule "for the rp", and me angrily waiting infront of the store yelling in the radio where my fucking components are.

Meanwhile, the active delivery truckers will do what you do irl when your boss stops paying you (lolwtf).

They'll seek new jobs where they get paid.

That's no pun intended by the way (and other options to aquire licenses to use trucks might be an option), I just say, take the bigger picture in account when demanding changes to the economic system, not "I do it for rp".

We all do.

*As heavy as gets in  comparison to many other systems I played on. Of course, there can always be more enhancements made to bring shoes to my character's closet.

Edited by knppel
2 minutes ago, knppel said:

The current simulation is as heavy as gets*.

Not simulating the delivery aspect won't improve that- on the contrary.

The current system allows to maintain a functioning supply chain without to have to personally kick everyone's ass to ensure basic supplies in stores.

It's a total misconception that doing stuff that would make money irl "for the rp only" makes the portrayal better- I'd any day argue that for tasks that would make money, it makes the portrayal worse effectively.

Where's your character motivation then?

Are you gonna tell your business investors in /b to not expect any revenue as you do it only for the rp?

The same counts for trucking.

Remove a valid, realistic ic motivation to do it, and instead of a functioning delivery chain, we'll have @ThatDutchPersonroaming in her mule "for the rp", and me angrily waiting infront of the store yelling in the radio where my fucking components are.

Meanwhile, the active delivery truckers will do what you do irl when your boss stops paying you (lolwtf).

They'll seek new jobs where they get paid.

That's no pun intended by the way (and other options to aquire licenses to use trucks might be an option), I just say, take the bigger picture in account when demanding changes to the economic system, not "I do it for rp".

We all do.

I want to stress my "Not just the payout" portion of that comment, as I obviously understand that trucking is a necessity on the server and I know it would drive players away like you say if it paid nothing. I really wanted to fix what I quoted from myself down below. I want it to be a job worth doing along with other jobs, and not be the de-facto money making job.

26 minutes ago, Protheus said:

I think there's become a lot of different sources of income that could be more heavily utilized, instead of everyone and their mother being a trucker on the side.

Just now, Protheus said:

I want it to be a job worth doing along with other jobs, and not be the de-facto money making job.

I can only recommend to link up with trucking companies then- besides being able to aquire big wheel licenses through that eventually, I know for a matter of fact at least some of them also do quite a lot of company activites aside the daily grind the drivers also do.

After all, they too wanna spend their hard earned money and so on.

33 minutes ago, knppel said:

I can only recommend to link up with trucking companies then- besides being able to aquire big wheel licenses through that eventually, I know for a matter of fact at least some of them also do quite a lot of company activites aside the daily grind the drivers also do.

After all, they too wanna spend their hard earned money and so on.

You do know there are businesses already out there that have actual contracts with trucking companies to ensure a steady supply chain? I highly suggest you to look into that if you want a stable supply chain for Malibu.

Your replies also give me a heavy impression that you do not care at all about this “aslong as shoes get in your closet”, that borderlines Play to Win attitude. I also don’t like it how you stated my situation to be a bar I set, while I clearly stated its just one of many exemples.

I had the fortunate situation that I could already afford a Mule/already had one. Why would trucking companies (NPC one where you rent trucks) care a single bit if I use my own truck? There is no risk for them and obviously ICly I’d have the licenses (otherwise I couldn’t buy it..)

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
4 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

while I clearly stated its just one of many exemples.

It's a terrible example though. Ranch owners are as rare as characters who would need a truck to transport all their shoes.

Hence why, the economy must not be tailored for these characters.

That's all I meant to point out.

1 minute ago, knppel said:

It's a terrible example though. Ranch owners are as rare as characters who would need a truck to transport all their shoes.

Hence why, the economy must not be tailored for these characters.

That's all I meant to point out.

The main point of the exemple clearly missed you. Forget about the ranch for a moment(

Person X owns a truck. Person X has been working hard for that. Person X gets an interesting contract/proposition from a store owner to supply his store for a bit of extra cash. Person X is happy to help. Person X then meets the script that says he can not use his own hard-worked truck for it.

Thats weird. 

18 hours ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

-1 to the suggestion, system is fine as it is compare to before the revamp. The ranking system is about commitment. Only if you really spend time trucking you get to drive the big trucks. I don't want to see every trucker driving Pounders around.

Quoting another reply here, "the "RPG" trucking system is actually somewhat accurate to what would happen IRL, a trucking company would not trust you with driving the expensive rigs off the start."

What I do want to see is more roleplay for trucking management instead of just recruit drivers and be done with it. Contracts for businesses should be possible as a business doesn't just allow every trucking company to deliver for them.

Couldn't have said it better.

18 hours ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

Quoting another reply here, "the "RPG" trucking system is actually somewhat accurate to what would happen IRL, a trucking company would not trust you with driving the expensive rigs off the start."

You don't need to drive small vans first if you want to drive large trucks, if you want to be a large truck driver you must obtain between 1 and 4 licenses (it depends on the truck, and if you are going to have a trailer or not) and a certificate.

And yes, you can even be freelance.

Some companies only work with large trucks, they are not UPS type with small vans and delivery in cities.

Edited by Jennie
  • Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic