Remove the RPG element of Trucking

ThatDutchPerson

23 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I’m not asking everyone to get maxed out for a side job so I can do lucrative routes while there’s people who worked weeks if not months to get there. 

22 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

How would you like it if you spent so much time getting there and the person next to you get to jump on it at the top because “RP”. Lmao

Honest question, is it so hard to believe that someone doesn't care about lucrative routes or script money, and thinks the "RP" is more important? Or that I'm nor arguing for a change just so I can make money, but because I think there might be better ways of doing things that would encourage more RP?

Like, I'm not doubting you have actual concerns. I can see how letting anyone get in a big truck and speed around with no oversight might be bad for the game and the game economy as it stands, I just think maybe there are better ways to deal with that than the grind mechanic. But if you just assume the other side are lying about their motives, there's no point in arguing anything.

10 minutes ago, hillievonb said:

Honest question, is it so hard to believe that someone doesn't care about lucrative routes or script money, and thinks the "RP" is more important? Or that I'm nor arguing for a change just so I can make money, but because I think there might be better ways of doing things that would encourage more RP?

Like, I'm not doubting you have actual concerns. I can see how letting anyone get in a big truck and speed around with no oversight might be bad for the game and the game economy as it stands, I just think maybe there are better ways to deal with that than the grind mechanic. But if you just assume the other side are lying about their motives, there's no point in arguing anything.

You and what, four other people? I’m pretty confident about there being administrative exceptions, I recall those exceptions being relatively easy to attain with the other trucking companies.

• Applaud 1

If you thought RP is more important you would just get a truck drive it around places and take your time to RP it in high detail. Instead you are complaining about a system that requires players to put in some work before they can make money with the biggest trucks.

Edited by Cantafford
On 12/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, Entity said:

Which is what this suggestion is about. The current system perfectly combines RPG grinding with the lack of realism. If you want to drive a big rig, you get your big rig license, do the big rig training and drive the big rig. You don't get to drive an eighteen-wheeler by doing UPS house deliveries. You also don't necessarily get more money the longer you're on the job. Someone who's been trucking for 40 years is no millionaire - they're still driving a truck. You don't get $100 per delivery at first and work your way up to $20,000. There's deliveries which get you more money, others that get you less and that's the same for someone with 1 year experience and someone with 20 years behind them.

Yes, the very new truck drivers are definitely not be able to do the same kinds of deliveries as someone really experienced (driving those three-pieced rigs) but doing more deliveries of the same kind does not get you more money in time. The 'need to start with smaller vehicles' is not a need, it's a script limitation that has no basis in reality. That's the problem being debated in this suggestion. 

That's something that should be dealt with on a case by case basis. If a company is deliberately hiring more people just to boost their profits, that company gets reported and dealt with. That doesn't mean we should surround everything that can be abused with a huge metal fence that you can only get over with explicit permission and constant supervision from 10 different parties. Just like that, everyone is allowed to drive a vehicle - people driving unrealistically get reported and dealt with. That's why we don't start on foot, get a bicycle after 10 hours, a shitty car after 20 hours and in 2000 hours we get to drive Pariahs.

What you've described is literally the basis of the RPG concept - the more you grind, the more you can make, the more you have. That's the problem, not the solution.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Regardless of what you think, the majority of trucking problems (eg people grinding it out rather than treating it like an actual RP job) is because it does not incentivize you to do so. It incentivizes mindless grinding so that you can get your deliveries up so that you can make more money. I don't see how that is something that we can actively excuse on something that advertises itself as a 'serious heavy RP server'

I don't see why trucks should be arbitrarily cut off. Trucking for some reason has this taboo attached to it where it makes too much money. Yet we don't talk about mechanics, or DJ's, or security guards, bartenders, or strippers who all make insane amount of money on the server - which doesn't exactly translate to real life.

So what if they make more money? You make 800 dollars passively anyways, and most new players will have over 200k in assets by the time their 40 hours is up. Money is not important on the server, even if you have millions in your bank account it should have no bearing on what character you are playing because you can always just namechange into something else.

Money should be there to support your RP. That's what I use it for, most of my money is spent on stupid shit on the day to day. I'll just buy like 10k in groceries and let it rot in my apartment just so I have something to spend it on.

Player reports and RP quality reports exist for a reason, you can complain about them not 'working' or whatever but they do exist. So say this gets implemented and someone goes from a 18 wheeler or a boxcar to a Sultan Classic within days you know what you do? Report them.

When I first joined this server I wanted to play a trucker, and I was severely disappointed by the insane amount of grinding I had to do to even get there.

I did something like 187 deliveries before I said fuck it - because I didn't want to be a Amazon delivery drone. I wanted to drive a big truck and interact with store owners and managers.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well since I think I have some competence to talk I would like to share my opinion on this. 

First of all most of the people who don't want a revamp of the trucking level system the only complain they bring up is that with larger vehicles you earn a lot of money, which you are right, but that's what happens in real life also. Truckers irl make a lot of money but:

- they don't have a lot of time to spend at home with family;

- they have a lot of responsabilities when driving a big rig. 

Now let me get my advice on what should be done. This job is a highly RP job and yet I still see little to no RP.

- You shouldn't allow for businesses to get deliveries when they are closed;

- Truckers should recieve penalties for the way they drive (I've been a delivery driver myself irl and even though I speed sometime I don't drive like most of Speedo truckers drive on the server);

- There should be incentives on people sending things with trucking company and so business supplying should be just another way of doing your job but not the only way.

The solution is really easy, make trucking companies have the abilities to put out an X amount of special licenses to drivers so only the best drivers could get those type of licenses and thus earn more money. These licenses should remain permanent untill a CK thus preventing you to start from scratch getting a boost that new players cannot have. 

Give people incentives on using trucking companies to make deliveries, for example: 

You own a restaurant and you need to move food or items from a place to another, then call a trucking company and pay them to make the delivery.

Could've also just use the playing hours system on how much crates you can buy or hold.

eg. 

Say you already passed 20hrs of playing, you can only hold 30 crates or so for this specific time. Neglect the truck leveling vehicle limitations, everyone can drive any truck and can hold particular crates with its' respective time playing hours.

50hrs = 100 crates

100hrs = 500 crates

and so on...

just an opinion though.

i agree with this. Trucking make stupid amounts of money.

Make all levels earn the same, and you can use whatever truck you want (decrease the value of the crates when you use bigger trucks, for example).

I don't understand why this is not being addressed when it totally ruins the server economy.

6 hours ago, Pieoshi said:

Could've also just use the playing hours system on how much crates you can buy or hold.

eg. 

Say you already passed 20hrs of playing, you can only hold 30 crates or so for this specific time. Neglect the truck leveling vehicle limitations, everyone can drive any truck and can hold particular crates with its' respective time playing hours.

50hrs = 100 crates

100hrs = 500 crates

and so on...

just an opinion though.

Making the hours affect how much crates you can buy/hold is a bad idea. Especially with the formula that you described:

50 hrs=100 crates

100 hrs=500 crates

200 hrs=2500 crates

400 hrs= 10000 crates

800 hrs= 50000 crates
This is the formula you suggested. (I may be really, really off because I'm not a math major, but ok.)

an increase of 16x (16x50=800) increases the amount of crates you can pick by 500x (50000/100)

Besides, your OOC stats shouldn't have to impact this. Trucking is a job for both experienced and inexperienced players.

On 1/7/2021 at 9:51 PM, SpritDodo said:

SNIP

Truckers IRL make a lot of money for the level of education that they're required to have. They don't make more money than a police sergeant, a lawyer or a lot more "educated" jobs. They might make more than a regular patrol officer. On-par with the average registered nurse.

https://www.indeed.com/career/truck-driver/salaries

https://www.indeed.com/career/attorney/salaries?from=top_sb

https://www.indeed.com/career/police-sergeant/salaries?from=top_sb

https://www.indeed.com/career/registered-nurse/salaries

Trucking in-game makes, what. 100k a week with some dedication?

I know that standing 20 hours behind the counter of an LTD could've got you 80k a week.

I'd suggest IG/IC alternatives to this such as having a special license for X size trucks.

Yes, there are going to be truckers that earn 100k or more a week. They are exceptions raising the average.

Edited by BjornV
  • Applaud 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic