Remove the RPG element of Trucking

ThatDutchPerson

3 hours ago, eTaylor said:

That doctor thing is a stupid irrelevant ass unequal comparison lmfao. If you want to wake up and press a button to go drive a truck around for bank cash all you have to do is ask an admin to set your level. All you need is a good reason why you shouldn’t have to work up like everyone else. If you do it for just the roleplay, then you don’t need this at all. Y’all just want money lol

It's not irrelevant, he made a comparison that follows the same principle as your reasoning. Why do you have to ascend the ranks of trucking but not the ranks of medicine? How does it not make sense to straight up roleplay a doctor without RPing each stage of becoming a doctor, but it makes total sense to only be able to roleplay a big rig trucker only after going through every different type of industrial vehicle?

Not everyone does it for the money. Whoever 'just wants money' will grind either. Just because there's an artificial limitation it doesn't mean the grinders won't grind - if anything, they'll grind more.

But again, this limitation has no real benefits. If I truly want to roleplay driving a big truck, not necessarily for the money, I won't bother grinding to get there. If someone only wants money, they'll grind it all.

This system weeds out the people who actually want to RP in favor of those who want to grind. On a heavy RP server.

• Applaud 1

Roleplaying a doctor doesn’t tie into a side job script. Also it’s funny for others to assume that I’m in it for the money considering I have none and don’t even truck. Admins can literally just set your trucking level anyway if you want to roleplay a trucking company. If anything, it’d make more sense if there was an active player owned company that functioned as a gatekeeper for good trucking roleplay. Like, you can grind meaningless vans or step up the RP and join an engaging roleplay scene. You’d have incentive, cause and purpose.

11 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Also it’s funny for others to assume that I’m in it for the money considering I have none and don’t even truck. Admins can literally just set your trucking level anyway if you want to roleplay a trucking company. If anything, it’d make more sense if there was an active player owned company that functioned as a gatekeeper for good trucking roleplay. Like, you can grind meaningless vans or step up the RP and join an engaging roleplay scene. You’d have incentive, cause and purpose.

I don't think anyone did, but you were kind of assuming people who dislike the grind and wanted to skip it were it were only in it for the money and couldn't possibly be interested in trucking RP, so pot, kettle, black, right?

But I didn't really know that requesting the truck level be set by admins with an IC justification was a possibility at all, I haven't seen it mentioned before. And it would definitely fix the issue, so if I ever go back to that character concept, I'll keep it in mind! Thank you.

Edited by hillievonb
3 hours ago, eTaylor said:

Y’all just want money lol

14 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Also it’s funny for others to assume that I’m in it for the money

That's quite hypocritical, isn't it? Assuming everyone does it for the money and then being upset someone assumed you're doing it for the money. Pretty sure no one assumed that either.

But on topic, I also didn't know that you can just ask an admin to set your in-game trucking level, although I'm still skeptical that's a thing. If anything, might've happened on few occasions but I doubt it's a regular occurence. The suggestion is about removing the grinding completely. This is a heavy RP server, after all.

I love how people are in favor of this RPG system but they are against suggest eating and drinking systems, it seems that they don't care when the RPG system doesn't affect them and they screw the other party, then you see them in all the threads saying no to the RPG and here we have people defending the RPG on a ROLEPLAY server.

They contradict themselves, the reason we already know, the excuse of money, perhaps it hurts them that others earn money as if that affects their RP, although, I don't talk about money although this is the reason why these people defend the RPG, I speak because the script is nonsense, and people here talking about truckers moving up irl the ranks like it's true.

And I reiterate what I said, those who are against this change are users who don't want others to earn money, people who really want to work as a truck driver cannot do it, some people want some realism in the scripts, but it seems that more than half a server want realism when they want it and not when the server needs it.

Realism is secondary if it doesn't benefit me and benefits others, that is the mentality of many users of this server.

Edited by BigSmileLing
53 minutes ago, hillievonb said:

I had close to 600k in the bank sitting on the character I was thinking about doing trucking with, unused, because it doesn't make sense for their character development. Just because you don't give a shit about trucking RP and are only in it for the money, don't presume everyone else is interested in it for the same reasons.

And yes, you could do just the /me commands but I find passive solitary RP mostly pointless. If I wanted to actually have interesting interactions with business owners and so on, the script allows me to do that. It feels slightly more meaningful than just pulling up to an open business and making up that I'm doing deliveries without actually doing any deliveries script-wise. I could also drive a truck for a trucking company if I thought there was interesting RP to be found there, but I'd have to level up my trucking skill through grinding.

If you like the RPG mechanic, fine! But that's what it is, it's an OOC thing to regulate the trucking market, it has very little to do with actual character portrayal or development. What people are trying to dsicuss is other ways to regulate the trucking market without requiring the OOC grind.

I love it. I hope it stays like this I actually would love it if they increased the required number of deliveries you need to deliver with a Pounder to 1000.

Also yes I'm into it for the money same as everyone who has ever picked it up. It's what jobs are for.

Edited by Cantafford
3 minutes ago, Cantafford said:

I love it. I hope it stays like this I actually would love it if they increased the required number of deliveries you need to deliver with a Pounder to 1000.

Also yes I'm into it for the money same as everyone who has ever picked it up. It's what jobs are for.

Hey, we all have fun in different ways, I guess!

1 hour ago, hillievonb said:

I don't think anyone did, but you were kind of assuming people who dislike the grind and wanted to skip it were it were only in it for the money and couldn't possibly be interested in trucking RP, so pot, kettle, black, right?

I’m not asking everyone to get maxed out for a side job so I can do lucrative routes while there’s people who worked weeks if not months to get there. 

1 hour ago, Cantafford said:

How would you like it if you spent so much time getting there and the person next to you get to jump on it at the top because “RP”. Lmao

• mj2002 locked this topic