Remove the RPG element of Trucking

ThatDutchPerson

1 minute ago, Cantafford said:

In real life you would still need to do some easier deliveries perhaps even with lighter vehicles before getting assigned on a big long haul rig which pays better. Granted you probably would not neccessarly mean to drive a van however you won't get assigned to the highest paid drives right away. That experience which you need is simulated in game by the need to start with smaller vehicles first. Perfectly fine.

I edited my post up there adding something. I made a suggestion for it before - but the place I come from had trucking be a purely IC thing. I have no problem with there being a system of working your way up, but I know I'm not alone when I say that I hate the fact that it's a fucking OOC script grind where you have to deliver crates to a dumb store for 6 months straight just to unlock the ability to drive rigs when they're added. Being promoted and such in-character and given the whole "hey man, you've been working your ass off around here, why don't you take one of the Roadtrains for a spin instead, you've earned it" feels a lot better than SCRIPT: YOU'VE MINDESSLY DRONED ON AND WASTED YOUR GAMEPLAY TIME LONG ENOUGH, NOW YOU GET TO DRIVE A SLIGHTLY BIGGER VEHICLE

16 minutes ago, Dom. said:

I edited my post up there adding something. I made a suggestion for it before - but the place I come from had trucking be a purely IC thing. I have no problem with there being a system of working your way up, but I know I'm not alone when I say that I hate the fact that it's a fucking OOC script grind where you have to deliver crates to a dumb store for 6 months straight just to unlock the ability to drive rigs when they're added. Being promoted and such in-character and given the whole "hey man, you've been working your ass off around here, why don't you take one of the Roadtrains for a spin instead, you've earned it" feels a lot better than SCRIPT: YOU'VE MINDESSLY DRONED ON AND WASTED YOUR GAMEPLAY TIME LONG ENOUGH, NOW YOU GET TO DRIVE A SLIGHTLY BIGGER VEHICLE

What you are proposing is a system which coukd easily be abused by companies whose interest is to make more money therefore promoting more drivers even when they are not up to the rp standards. 

I strongly am against anything which allowws you to drive a big truck without putting in a lot of work first as that would lead to massive numbers of trucks on the roads and in front of businesses all the time. 

Edited by Cantafford
1 minute ago, Cantafford said:

What you are proposing is a system which coukd easily be abused by companies whose interest is to make more money therefore promoting more drivers even when they are not up to the rp standards. 

I strongly am against anything which allowws you to drive a big truck without putting in a lot of work first as that would lead to massive numbers of trucks on the roads and in front of businesses all the time. 

Unfortunately, you make a really good point - that's the only real problem present. If it could be moderated it'd be a pretty good idea though.

1 hour ago, Cantafford said:

In real life you would still need to do some easier deliveries perhaps even with lighter vehicles before getting assigned on a big long haul rig which pays better. Granted you probably would not neccessarly mean to drive a van however you won't get assigned to the highest paid drives right away. That experience which you need is simulated in game by the need to start with smaller vehicles first. Perfectly fine.

Which is what this suggestion is about. The current system perfectly combines RPG grinding with the lack of realism. If you want to drive a big rig, you get your big rig license, do the big rig training and drive the big rig. You don't get to drive an eighteen-wheeler by doing UPS house deliveries. You also don't necessarily get more money the longer you're on the job. Someone who's been trucking for 40 years is no millionaire - they're still driving a truck. You don't get $100 per delivery at first and work your way up to $20,000. There's deliveries which get you more money, others that get you less and that's the same for someone with 1 year experience and someone with 20 years behind them.

Yes, the very new truck drivers are definitely not be able to do the same kinds of deliveries as someone really experienced (driving those three-pieced rigs) but doing more deliveries of the same kind does not get you more money in time. The 'need to start with smaller vehicles' is not a need, it's a script limitation that has no basis in reality. That's the problem being debated in this suggestion. 

51 minutes ago, Cantafford said:

That's something that should be dealt with on a case by case basis. If a company is deliberately hiring more people just to boost their profits, that company gets reported and dealt with. That doesn't mean we should surround everything that can be abused with a huge metal fence that you can only get over with explicit permission and constant supervision from 10 different parties. Just like that, everyone is allowed to drive a vehicle - people driving unrealistically get reported and dealt with. That's why we don't start on foot, get a bicycle after 10 hours, a shitty car after 20 hours and in 2000 hours we get to drive Pariahs.

What you've described is literally the basis of the RPG concept - the more you grind, the more you can make, the more you have. That's the problem, not the solution.

• Upvote 1

That doctor thing is a stupid irrelevant ass unequal comparison lmfao. If you want to wake up and press a button to go drive a truck around for bank cash all you have to do is ask an admin to set your level. All you need is a good reason why you shouldn’t have to work up like everyone else. If you do it for just the roleplay, then you don’t need this at all. Y’all just want money lol

2 hours ago, eTaylor said:

If you want to wake up and press a button to go drive a truck around for bank cash all you have to do is ask an admin to set your level. All you need is a good reason why you shouldn’t have to work up like everyone else.

Can someone from staff confirm this? Does owning a Mule validate as a good reason?

22 hours ago, Cantafford said:

Lmao all these people 'i just wanna do truck rp i don' t care about the cash'. Yeah you do nobody cares about truck rp you just want to make 2k per run withiut putting in the work first. 

If all you cared was rp and not the cash you d get a truck dr8ve around and just /me the commands because that is totally possible. 

I had close to 600k in the bank sitting on the character I was thinking about doing trucking with, unused, because it doesn't make sense for their character development. Just because you don't give a shit about trucking RP and are only in it for the money, don't presume everyone else is interested in it for the same reasons.

And yes, you could do just the /me commands but I find passive solitary RP mostly pointless. If I wanted to actually have interesting interactions with business owners and so on, the script allows me to do that. It feels slightly more meaningful than just pulling up to an open business and making up that I'm doing deliveries without actually doing any deliveries script-wise. I could also drive a truck for a trucking company if I thought there was interesting RP to be found there, but I'd have to level up my trucking skill through grinding.

If you like the RPG mechanic, fine! But that's what it is, it's an OOC thing to regulate the trucking market, it has very little to do with actual character portrayal or development. What people are trying to dsicuss is other ways to regulate the trucking market without requiring the OOC grind.

3 hours ago, eTaylor said:

That doctor thing is a stupid irrelevant ass unequal comparison lmfao. If you want to wake up and press a button to go drive a truck around for bank cash all you have to do is ask an admin to set your level. All you need is a good reason why you shouldn’t have to work up like everyone else. If you do it for just the roleplay, then you don’t need this at all. Y’all just want money lol

Again, my character had 600k sitting there, unused, plus a trailer and a car already, so maybe... not? I just think grinding van deliveries is boring and accomplishes zero character development. It's an OOC grind for OOC reasons.

• mj2002 locked this topic