Remove the RPG element of Trucking

ThatDutchPerson

7 hours ago, BigSmileLing said:

It's incoherent and illogical that when some users suggest RPG elements they reject it for being RPG and instead the truck system is pure RPG, perhaps they should remove the limit, I doubt that a person without working can afford a large truck.

In fact, they should keep the limit of small trucks when you work without a transport company, and allow you to use large trucks by obtaining the special license for said trucks (furthermore, companies must ask their workers for this license if they want to drive large trucks), just as there is a flight license, a license for the use of these trucks, that happens in real life, you don't need to work for Fedex using small trucks if you want to be a large truck driver, it's nonsense, in real life you get the license, you buy the truck/rent it or the company lends it to you and that's it.

I feel like it's mostly fine as it is. I don't want to see loads of pounders blasting around the place for no reason. If you ICly have a need for a pounder like Rafi had the other day, I borrowed one to move a massive amount of alcohol for a one time event. I don't want to see pounders coming to the kebab shop to restock it. 

I am torn on the idea of implementing CDL's. If we have good trailer sync and ever get to have articulated trucks then I think a CDL is good for those, but the biggest vehicle we can drive is a pounder and from an OOC standpoint it doesn't really take any different skill to drive it, unlike flying a plane on the server for example. 

I don't see why you should get special treatment over a new player because you have the funds to buy a mule. IF you have a mule for your own  brewing business then that's cool use it for that!

2 minutes ago, Late said:

I feel like it's mostly fine as it is. I don't want to see loads of pounders blasting around the place for no reason. If you ICly have a need for a pounder like Rafi had the other day, I borrowed one to move a massive amount of alcohol for a one time event. I don't want to see pounders coming to the kebab shop to restock it. 

I am torn on the idea of implementing CDL's. If we have good trailer sync and ever get to have articulated trucks then I think a CDL is good for those, but the biggest vehicle we can drive is a pounder and from an OOC standpoint it doesn't really take any different skill to drive it, unlike flying a plane on the server for example. 

I don't see why you should get special treatment over a new player because you have the funds to buy a mule. IF you have a mule for your own  brewing business then that's cool use it for that!

This was more brought to light because Emilia’s friend asked for help restocking a liquor store because Emilia is known in the area to own a Mule. So RIP to that roleplay. If you have the funds to buy a truck, you should not be restricted from using it.

You also can’t “borrow’’ trucks for trucking. You’ll simply see “You are not allowed to do shipments with this vehicle” if its too big “for your level”.

Edited by ThatDutchPerson

Whilst I do agree the grind nature of the trucking script as it is wrong, there should be some sort of gate keeper one way or another - otherwise it will result in a sudden increase of Pounder drivers behaving the same as they would with their Speedo - like an idiot. I much rather have people being stupid in a transport van than steering a 12 ton truck.

What I could imagine as a replacement for the "X deliveries needed for vehicle Y" would be a licensing system, commercial driving licenses that can be obtained either through script or a government agency similar to firearms licenses with a theoretical and practical examination and an appropriate licensing fee. This would allow for a certain standard set on trucking roleplay forcing people to put some efforts and work into their character in order to be able to obtain these commercial driving licenses and also carry the risk of said licenses being suspended or revoked on criminal offenses or repeated traffic offenses. That way, the license system works as a gate keeper and keeps the "bad side" of trucking roleplay, those that zoom back and forth just to grind cash with no regards to roleplay, restricted to vans or away from trucking altogether.

Edited by orca112
  • Applaud 1
30 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

You also can’t “borrow’’ trucks for trucking. You’ll simply see “You are not allowed to do shipments with this vehicle” if its too big “for your level”.

Well i've never been inclined to suddenly help out a friend on a "trucking assignment." The few times i've needed a truck it has been to move actual items from one place to another, not components you pick up from the docks. I'm still not convinced about this suggestion but what it's out of my hands anyway, just throwing in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Late said:

Well i've never been inclined to suddenly help out a friend on a "trucking assignment." The few times i've needed a truck it has been to move actual items from one place to another, not components you pick up from the docks. I'm still not convinced about this suggestion but what it's out of my hands anyway, just throwing in my opinion.

So when you own a large truck for your own business, and a close friend comes to you to ask “hey, I see you have a big truck? Can you help me out because Im having a huge order.” You simply say “Nope sorry cant help ya”, while you clearly can?

Emilia her friend needed a one-time helping hand and she was happy to help, untill script limitations came in like this. Eventuelly I did it with a rental burrito and we just RPed we used the Mule, but this took several hours.

Why is it deemed special treatment if my character worked hard to buy a Mule and she wants to be able to use it?

Come on, there has to be some kind of reward for those who actually put time into the grind. Yes, it's a grind, and could come off as RPG, but it's also a way of ensuring that when you see a Pounder, it's someone who has worked for it. If anyone could access the largest truck with the best salary, we'll only be seeing those trucks. 

6 hours ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

I don't want to see every trucker driving Pounders around.

Welcome to pound town.

There's no real way to fix trucking. It's all been suggested, it's all been denied. Only way is to either remove it completely or lower the amount of payment it gives, as the amount of money you get scales with the amount of deliveries you make, just like any other job where you start small and end big, the "RPG" trucking system is actually somewhat accurate to what would happen IRL, a trucking company would not trust you with driving the expensive rigs off the start and locking the big rigs behind a completion wall is a way to stop players from making EXHORBITANT amounts of money right out of the airport and also to push you as an individual to go work for a trucking company, since you wouldn't be spending any money and rather just losing a small % which is really just miniscule at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Your other quote is too long to quote.

Where is the logic in that I am not allowed to drive /my own privately owned Mule/ for trucking assignments? My character isn’t even poor; she owns a ranch.

That's not the measurement bar as the majority of mule-owners do not own a ranch.

4 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

So RIP to that roleplay. If you have the funds to buy a truck, you should not be restricted from using it.

You do realize you need a different license irl to steer transport vehicles of certain freight weight, right?

Which at least in Western European countries you cannot simply purchase but have to go through proper training first.

3 hours ago, Sim said:

There's no real way to fix trucking.

There's no fix needed.

If it really was that exorbitantly profitable in comparison to other activities you can conduct ic to make a living, you could see Natasha in a pink truck all day long, trust me on that.

I don't truck personally.

But let me speak for the small trucker that works hard delivering all the components I eat and that imho deserves a paycheck for this too.

I'm highly against this suggestion, I'll translate why, this is what I read in it:

"Paychecks of active truckers should be cut so any trucking requirements can be removed so I can use my mule without to train scriptwise, or be accused of doing it for the money".

Lolno.

A. People not owning their ranch yet still wanna make money, and trucking is one way

B. I need the components, in stock, to the brim, always, because I'm in the bustling city ic

C. There's plenty of micromanagement for items and deliveries as is for business operators scriptwise

D. There is nothing stopping me from roleplaying with truckers (I do not regularly, but frequently)

E: And if you do that, one of them can also drive your mule anytime

• mj2002 locked this topic