Character Details Overlay

yerro

Short description:

• Toggleable overlay for 2-3 main parameters: age range, height, weight (optional).

• Appears in white text above character heads when holding down a specific hotkey.

• Allows to quickly check the age range & height of characters around you, to define your approach & reaction to those characters.

The main reason behind this suggestion is people roleplaying <18 y.o. characters. However, it can also help a lot when dealing with crowds and trying to quickly ascertain the situation for an appropriate response.

Detailed description:

One of the things I love the most about GTA V-based RP and GTA World is the ability to show a lot of things about your character without text. Text descriptions are great, but the ability to see someone wearing a black hoody and white pants and go solely on that knowledge is one of the definitive positive perks of roleplaying here. What you see is what you get.

Not going to lie, this suggestion came as a result of a few scenes where I encountered people roleplaying teens and wasn't fast enough to do /ex on them. For example, if my character is responding to a 911 call and comes across a group of black characters in Vespucci Canals, it's sort of helpful to know if I'm staring at a group of teens or a group of adults; if that group of teens has an older individual that could likely be the authority figure, and so on. You can see how dealing with groups makes /ex-ing everyone... eh, not as practical.

What I'm suggesting is to add an overlay system in a fixed format — no free-floating text, no tons of letters above character heads. Just their age and height in a "## y.o. / ###cm" format.

This overlay would be toggleable with a specific button (say, "J" or any other that's unoccupied) — whenever the button is pressed, overlay would come on top of everyone's character. Filling in these parameters would be mandatory, same as /attributes — as a matter of fact, could add an extra field in /attributes for height, next to age.

Commands to add:

• Action to show overlay (hold to show) would require a hotkey. A command can be used though it'd be less practical

• An extra field (height) would need to be added to /attributes, to the right of "Age".

Items to add:

• None.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

It would enhance interactions and reduce the number of times people make wrong responses due to unawareness that characters before them are young / old; most importantly helping people approach teenagers with knowledge that they're teens instead of assuming they're adults, first.

Additionally, it would be a bit helpful to those roleplayers who pay attention to the details — like height — when interacting with people's characters. Arguably, in a 1-on-1 situation, they're quite able to use /ex, though understanding if a bunch of tall muscular dudes are ganging up on a shorter, smaller individual would be helpful in encounters.

Bottom line, it just enhances interactions on the server and complies with GTA World's "ideals" — it's essentially an extension to the current attributes/examine system.

Additional information:

Talked to a dev here to ask if something like this would be even doable — it technically is. Appreciate your input, guys.

Quick edit after my prev comment: "Age range" param should be hidden when the player is masked.

Edited by yerro
Added a comment in "Additional Information": Hide Age Range when Masked
  • Upvote 10
  • Applaud 1

Could be as simple as adding an command/shortcut key to the existing action wheel. Just add in a field for people to put their height underneath age in the character details screen, then pull the age/height data from examine and put it in an action wheel shortcut. I don’t see why this would hurt. 

Edited by Juicebox
  • Upvote 1

Talked to a couple of people about this just to get their feedback on idea and we've sort of discovered one minor exception to add — having masks on should hide the "age" field in that view but keep height.

Edited by yerro
  • Wuhtah locked this topic