Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

Please leave Blaine alone. The work these guys put into making it active and the quality RP they provide has been nothing but amazing. Every community has bad apples but the best RP I've had on this server was out there. Let's not ruin a good thing thanks. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, SULLI said:

Please leave Blaine alone. The work these guys put into making it active and the quality RP they provide has been nothing but amazing. Every community has bad apples but the best RP I've had on this server was out there. Let's not ruin a good thing thanks. 

I'm not sure where you're coming from, I believe the purpose of the thread here was to create awareness rather than "ruin" a good thing. There's nothing wrong with striving for the betterment of roleplay, that's what we do here as a community. 

28 minutes ago, SULLI said:

How does using the proper dialect ruin roleplay? You're reading it off a screen.

Roleplay seems pretty much on point out there to me. If people's roleplay needs bettering, report it so admins can deal with that. Some of the comments in here are very finger pointy and bashful to players out there that have some seriously fleshed out backgrounds. There is a handful of factions in Blaine, thread seems very targeted. 

2 minutes ago, Certified Lover Boy Jola said:

How does using the proper dialect ruin roleplay? You're reading it off a screen.

Honestly, people typing like that is just then trying to add immersion to their speech so you can get an idea in your head and most of the time it works fine. Accents are tricky to portray well and not everyone does a /examine of someone they just met for an accent check. If it's reaaaaally bad and you cant understand it, just take it IC. Seen many people do just that, kinda adds a little flavour to the interaction.

3 minutes ago, SULLI said:

Honestly, people typing like that is just then trying to add immersion to their speech so you can get an idea in your head and most of the time it works fine. Accents are tricky to portray well and not everyone does a /examine of someone they just met for an accent check. If it's reaaaaally bad and you cant understand it, just take it IC. Seen many people do just that, kinda adds a little flavour to the interaction.

Key word immersion, if we're roleplaying LA it's hard to be immersed if a huge percentage of people roleplay Texan accents in what should be SoCal.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone gets on the fact that the people in Blaine County speak like stereotypical redneck hicks. As if half the server isn't ICly English, Irish, Welsh, Scottish, European, etc. 

Personally, I don't care if there is an exaggerated redneck vibe that is given off in the county. I'm an American, a huge portion of the server is European (and a lot of the guys who play out in Blaine are European). Having an exaggerated county personality just leads to a different and unique avenue of roleplay to the traditional city vibe of things. Plus, we love to get upset over the fact that they're playing hicks and rednecks who would be better suited for Kentucky, but the fact of the matter is. Half the server plays a bad stereotype of something (and that's sort of the entire point of Grand Theft Auto anyway, it's all a satirical representation of real life America.). I'd rather turn my attention to the Vespucci peckerwoods, or the average black guy in Davis, maybe even the Hispanics. Or the fact that 90% of the server is a criminal. I don't know. I think we're throwing rocks in a glass house, and that people need to learn to appreciate what they're being given. Don't get worked up on the semantics, have fun.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, after giving all of this a read, I just see both sides of the issue. Again, like nubianking above me said, a very, very noticeable fraction of the server (I would dare say the majority but I don't have data) plays First Generation immigrants from somewhere anyway. There's more foreign people than people from San Andreas. There's Brits moving in like London was burning. There's italians immigrating in droves like this was the 1920s. There's a host of characters with very, very nationalistic backgrounds that are defined by where they're from, and none of them are American, and they all somehow decide to leave the countries they hold so dear because well, they don't have the option to RP there and that's the character they want to play.

RP is escapism, and this is not a simulation of California on a 1:1 scale. There are no other servers for RP like GTAW offers: text RP in a 3D, open world in a present setting based on the real world. If people want to be a stereotypical American hillbilly, they're not really going to be stopped, in the same way that nobody is going to stop the people who want to RP a lower-middle class character from Leeds who moves continents to Los Santos to work as a bartender rather than working at their local pub or whatever.

I say that as long as it doesn't actively impede your RP, let people do what they want. Choose who you associate with and politely avoid engaging who you disagree with. It's often easier than it seems.

Something I and @DS ran into a lot running DRD. I had to teach a lot of people how southerners/country boys actually talk. We never roleplayed straight out of the south as Dirt Road Dollars, we roleplayed Country Boys. Country is Country Wide. No one in the Country, in any 50 states, says "Howdy" on normal dialect, unless they're some like 90 year old guy in Texas, and even than it's kind of far-fetched. No one says yer, and all that anymore. Country boys talk normal, with an accent. A lot of people use to do that back in the day in the Sheriff's Department as well, but that's obviously not a thing here since day one. They might have different words for certain things, but no one talks like they're from the Wild West anymore.

I loved roleplaying in Blaine County with Dirt Road Dollars, and obviously still frequently do as a Deputy Sheriff. It's one of the best places in my opinion because it's normally a closer-knit community that knows eachothers characters a lot. No one wants to intrude on your roleplay, but we just ask you to not make yourself look silly with the Wild West dialect.

• Upvote 3