Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

I've been local to Sandy since February of 2019, at that time it was a ghost town but we kicked some life into it, then it died out, rose again, died out yet again and now it's striving and has done so longer than ever before. There is a mix of characters out there for each their own reasons, but if you don't like the quality in place there why are you on here complaining instead of settling out there and raise the quality you expect to see? Lead by example and all that. 

Jackie admitted he picked up the "accent" from other members he was interacting with, which is not an uncommon thing by any means, heck I personally pick up the accent from different parts of my country if I spend my time there too much, It can happen in reverse too, someone charismatic easily influence others and they pick up hell speech too.

Where were you when Blaine was growing, and why were you not helping building this community like you want it to be portrayed?

Could also go and point fingers elsewhere on the server where portrayal is not 100% realistic, but will it ever be that? No.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 4
1 hour ago, StoneFire said:

I've been local to Sandy since February of 2019, at that time it was a ghost town but we kicked some life into it, then it died out, rose again, died out yet again and now it's striving and has done so longer than ever before. There is a mix of characters out there for each their own reasons, but if you don't like the quality in place there why are you on here complaining instead of settling out there and raise the quality you expect to see? Lead by example and all that. 

Jackie admitted he picked up the "accent" from other members he was interacting with, which is not an uncommon thing by any means, heck I personally pick up the accent from different parts of my country if I spend my time there too much, It can happen in reverse too, someone charismatic easily influence others and they pick up hell speech too.

Where were you when Blaine was growing, and why were you not helping building this community like you want it to be portrayed?

Could also go and point fingers elsewhere on the server where portrayal is not 100% realistic, but will it ever be that? No.

Creating awareness and cutting straight to the point on the forums is easier than establishing characters in the county, hoping people would be influenced and take example. It's good to see Blaine populated, it'd be even better if characters were played right. Fingers are pointed elsewhere, similarly, those people in question don't take the concerns seriously. They get defensive and act in denial. The community members post these threads in hopes of bringing these issues to light and help improve certain areas of roleplay, but constructive criticism can sometimes be taken to heart unfortunately. I hope you can see that.

Edited by Gall
1 hour ago, StoneFire said:

It's hard for me to say much. I RP an "English Countryman" in Sandy. So everyone looks at my character wearing tucked in shirts and high-top boots like a weirdo. I've never personally RPed a Sandy Local but what I will honestly say is that beside the odd weird interaction I personally have the belief that RP in the county is better than a lot of RP I've experienced elsewhere... There's pockets of "oh god" but that's prevalent anywhere. 

13 minutes ago, Karner said:

It's hard for me to say much. I RP an "English Countryman" in Sandy. So everyone looks at my character wearing tucked in shirts and high-top boots like a weirdo. I've never personally RPed a Sandy Local but what I will honestly say is that beside the odd weird interaction I personally have the belief that RP in the county is better than a lot of RP I've experienced elsewhere... There's pockets of "oh god" but that's prevalent anywhere. 

I don't find it a problem, I'd rather have people there giving life to the places than it being a ghost town again, and it shouldn't sound like its quantity over quality because frankly the community there is a great one and far from everyone is those silly characters everyone generalize us as, heck my character there don't even have one of those accents. 😅 

Edited by StoneFire
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Woona said:

I believe I can go on about this, pointing out each location in San Andreas and comparing it to California. My opinion so far is that people need to start doing research on the spots they want to settle in. It's utterly poor portrayal to believe in Rockstar's image of Sandy Shores and surrounding areas. While I do understand how hard it would be to do research since all the locations in San Andreas are highly diverse I honestly recommend to anyone to do so. It's much more unique than being a country bumpkin that decided to move to Sandy Shores because it's just like home.

If you believe the portrayal is so poor, perhaps you should do something about it instead of participating in a thread that is basically just bashing communities, it's rather disappointing really. Instead;

1. Make a player report if you believe the portrayal is poorly done.
  2. Lead by example.

Some other people are suggesting that they are 'raising awareness', 'cutting straight to the point', or something along those lines. You're achieving none of this, except participating in and encouraging pointless bashing. If you really want to see the quality of the roleplay improve, be part of the solution, not part of the crowd yelling from afar on how what that group over there is doing is bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2
1 minute ago, mj2002 said:

Make a player report if you believe the portrayal is poorly done.

Yes because historically that has worked on this server. /s 

I used to echo this all the time to my faction members, that was until I did it myself. You'd have better luck sending up smoke signals. No one prefers making these threads. This is in no way the ideal way to go about it but frankly, it's the only way that seems to fucking work. 

On a server where "Giving answers only leads to more questions", color me surprised that people feel the only option is to make super broad threads like this just to get a response on the subject from staff.

9 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

Lead by example.

Ok, I hope you keep this same energy every time someone complains about shitty criminal portrayal. Funny that it's alright for people to bash criminals for their portrayal but how dare anyone critique the RP of people in Blaine county! You don't like it? Drop everything your doing and make a character out there, otherwise stfu. 

People see an issue, they have the right to speak up on it. Someone's critique isn't invalid simply because of what character they play. If someone noticed what they think is an issue there might be an issue. If multiple people agree, then I'd say there definitely is an issue. Now does this mean everyone in Blaine county is to blame? Absolutely not, nor do I think that's what the OP was trying to say. But that doesn't mean there isn't a portion of the player base who is giving the rest of the Blaine county RPers a bad name.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

If you believe the portrayal is so poor, perhaps you should do something about it instead of participating in a thread that is basically just bashing communities, it's rather disappointing really. Instead;

2. Lead by example.

Some other people are suggesting that they are 'raising awareness', 'cutting straight to the point', or something along those lines. You're achieving none of this, except participating in and encouraging pointless bashing. If you really want to see the quality of the roleplay improve, be part of the solution, not part of the crowd yelling from afar on how what that group over there is doing is bad.

This thread isn't bashing communities, it is letting people voice their concerns on this particular area of RP and how we as a community can improve it. They aren't saying all of Blaine does this, but they are simply highlighting the problems and actively showing ways on how to improve it and backing it with real life examples. 

Also making a player report isn't going to make an impact if this is a community wide problem. I would be the first to usually say "handle this IC" but you simply can't when it is the base of multiple people's RP and character. 

People are raising these concerns because they care about the quality of roleplay on the server and you simply can't raise these issues IC. The community is simply helped by the information in these threads. If you simply think that this is "pointless bashing" even after people sited direct sources for their information I don't know what to tell you. Don't down play simple discussion on issues as "bashing", this is how we don't get things spoken out properly and we just have back and forth arguments until the thread is locked.   

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

2. Lead by example.

This thread isn't bashing the community, if it was @Nervous would've probably locked it long ago. 

1. Making reports won't solve this, it's a community problem that needs ADDRESSING (not bashing anyone of course, I feel I must now clarify this). Individual reports won't dent the surface.

2. That's exactly what's being done, and discussed.

EDIT:

My main concern is the issue isn't addressed, and the fact normal Californians dont speak this way. Referring to Davis RP is a bad example, as the people in Davis actually get Los Angeles slang on point. I must say, I can't say the same for Blaine County, and I know some say it's only a few doing it... but I've seen quite the contrary and see over 30+ individuals do it; bare in mind I actively reside in BC and 95% of my RP revolves around BC.

Salton Sea a/k/a Sandy Shores & Neighboring areas are flooded with methamphetamine and heroin, sometimes other opioids. Grapeseed which is Bakersfield and Grapevine has the same issue, amongst a huge gang problem in both areas. Between white power gangs, latinos and blacks and asians. 

Edited by bidi bidi bom bom
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

2. Lead by example.

We already are, this is why the topic is being made because the hillbilly aspect is too much, it's hard to roleplay around it.

I find it weird that anytime someone brings up criticism we take it as bashing, I fuck up when I roleplay at times, and I would love if somebody decides to point that out so I could work on that and make the roleplay experience, in general, better for both parties, people go out of their way to make these topics, anything you say will be seen as toxic, having an attitude or bashing when you're just trying to fix something that should have never been broken. We need to stop this trend of making everything out to be bashing when we're just trying to have a logical conversation about how we could fix a problem, otherwise, we won't be having these conversations and the rp quality of the server will just drop.

We have to understand that we're mimicking something we don't do in real life, for the most part, nobody has a degree in roleplay or a PHD, research, criticism, and discussions are the most effective ways to create a better rp lore, previous servers allowed different types of factions, with research and discussion, the server decided to go with CALI based groups as this is what the map is based on, that was an improvement, what if someone just randomly decided to say, "stop bashing what people want to roleplay"? The server would not be at the roleplay quality level that it is at now, same goes with this discussion and may more that may be presented in the future. 

• Upvote 3
  • Moonsong locked and unlocked this topic