Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

At least for me, Blaine is a place to go for characters who don't like the crowded, noisy city and want to stay away from the majority of the street gangs. It doesn't have to be a stereotypical redneck infested area who dun like furriners. Sadly, that's how many people choose to roleplay it because it's the stereotype that requires the least amount of effort in terms of character portrayal. 

The same happens if you go into the city to any of the gang areas, people stick to the easiest stereotypes. The 'good boy tryin to make it out of the hood' kind of thing, even though they've no intention of actually trying to. It's not imaginative by any means but it's the quickest way for them to feel some kind of immersion so their character doesn't feel out of place.

I don't think everyone in Blaine roleplays a stereotype of course but many do and it can be frustrating for those looking to find unique interactions but instead find the same level of retardation, hostility and one-dimensional characters as you would in Davis, as opposed to people putting in the effort into making unique and compelling characters.

• Upvote 2

Just figured I'd give my two cents, given I've been RPing in Blaine and particularly in Sandy since June, give or take.

It's true that some characters may or may not feel like your stereotypical redneck from a comedy movie, or from those videos seen on the internet from time to time. However, that's not the majority of characters that reside in Blaine and there's actually a lot of variety among them, and I can say that most of them are great RPers.

My character, personally, wasn't born in Blaine, or Sandy in particular. He was born in Louisiana, planned to live and RP in the city, but due to how the cards played out, he was somewhat forced to move to Sandy. Eventually, all his friends, jobs and whatnot happened to be there, so he decided to stay. So are a lot of other characters that actively roleplay in Blaine, so it's not like they were poor and moved to a poorer place. Some ended up there by mere causality, some were forced, some moved to enjoy the peace of a more quiet, low traffic area, and some are actually born in Blaine. A good amount of them are from other parts of the world, or from different states within the U.S. which can justify their speech, behavior and whatnot.

I'm on that screenshot that was posted, don't know if more than once. And yes, I've often used "yew", "yer" and whatnot. However it's not the usual thing, at least in my case. I use a lot of apostrophes, as seen in one where my character said: "Y'are a fuckin' time bomb, an' y'are explodin' at any moment". 

Personally, I don't see what's wrong there, apart from maybe a heavy use of apostrophes in some cases. I use apostrophes when I omit a letter, or when I merge two words together. If anyone has an actual concern about it, feel free to DM me and we'll talk about it. However, the message is still readable, and understandable most times. 
I'm talking for myself when I say that when I use "yew" and "yer" it's because I've roleplayed with people that use it, and eventually, even if not wanting it, I've assimilated it and it slips up when I type.

That being said, I take the constructive criticism from this thread and it's food for thought, to some extent. There's a huge variety of characters in Blaine, most of them different to each other, and it creates an environment that's really enjoyable. Sure, you'll get the ones that hate city people, you'll get racists, and you'll get people who are the stereotypical redneck. The first two are usually justified by IC events, and people would be surprised to see what things RPers in Blaine have to deal with sometimes. However, that doesn't mean the whole portrayal is wrong, nor that the characters are undeveloped and a "meme", which is what it felt some people where saying in here, but maybe I got it wrong. It's worth pointing out the good things as well, not just the flaws.

Edited by JackieH
  • Upvote 4
10 hours ago, Свето said:

Seems like some of these people used South Park's satirical rednecks as their basis for their characters. However, personally? I've never experienced it, but that's not to say I don't believe it exists, people don't seem to understand that just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. That's not to say all Sandy RP is like this.

Very important to note. Not everybody do, but it's happening more than it should. When so many people gauged the problem, including SD members,  it's definitely an ongoing and greater issue. There's nothing that could possibly justify the amount of Southern RPers or rednecks in Blaine at the moment. It doesn't align with a small rural town in Cali.

Edited by Gall
3 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

I see people using the "move there" excuse. Not trying to attack people, but that's exactly what it sounds like... they're doing it purposely to excuse the stereotype.

Agreed. Nobody would invest all the money, time and paperwork to move across the entire country and land in THE most rundown section of San Andreas. Before people start coming through implying San Andreas isn't California, San Andreas is still on the far West Coast.

unknown.png

I think RQT's input is important here too, I'd like to see them read through the topic and give up their opinion.

Edited by Gall
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, bidi bidi bom bom said:

I see people using the "move there" excuse. Not trying to attack people, but that's exactly what it sounds like... they're doing it purposely to excuse the stereotype.

Speaking for myself and in this case for my character, it all happened IC, gladly. Used to be in the city for a good month or so before ending up in Sandy!

19 minutes ago, Gall said:

I think RQT's input is important here too, I'd like to see them read through the topic and give up their opinion.

No longer a thing.

Anyways. I've been reading through the thread but haven't commented up until now!

Is it a problem? Yes.

Is it a wide-spread one? Not at all. Really. But I do believe that YMMV.

Is it important to help people understand this? Yes.

I've been around Blaine for a bit, but I stick to my own little confined group which just doesn't do it.  When I used to swing up to Blaine on my PD character in my marked Granger, I'd run into one, two characters like so. Personally, I don't really mind it all too much. There's a person I interact with on a recurring basis on my PD character that types with a strange accent. I just roleplay my character not understanding a damn thing this person is trying to say. Personally, I also find it a bit of an eyesore and harder to read. There's better ways to roleplay speech, speech mannerisms and accents without entirely butchering a sentence and making it look like 1337speak in a more confusing format. I think it's just because people struggle to find a coherent and clean way to do what they're trying to portray.

Ergo, [insert picture(s) previously posted here].

7h4nk5 f0r r34d1n6.

Edited by Wirbelwind
typo fix
  • Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Gall said:

Agreed. Nobody would invest all the money, time and paperwork to move across the entire country and land in THE most rundown section of San Andreas. Before people start coming through implying San Andreas isn't California, San Andreas is still on the far West Coast.

unknown.png

gall has a good point here. you don’t see people from the south going to california, in fact a majority of people going to California stay in the urban hubs while a select portion go out into the California country side

1 hour ago, arkan said:

gall has a good point here. you don’t see people from the south going to california, in fact a majority of people going to California stay in the urban hubs while a select portion go out into the California country side

I mean let's be real there's probably less 'Americans' in all of Los Santos than foreigners (Europeans etc).

I do agree with some of the things the OP stated. As a Blaine local you'll run into a few people who watched trailer park boys too many times and replicate it. However I myself don't see it as that much of a problem. No matter what Sandy might represent, given the physical state of most buildings around and the general trashy and poor atmosphere it does makes sense to have a handful of uneducated 'hillbilly' type people around.

The 'hatred against city folk' some Blaine characters have is easily justified given the almost daily appearances from Davis gang members who are out to rob people for only their firearms. That and the occasional 'ricers' who speed through the neighborhoods and quite frequently cause accidents with their flashy sports cars. 

All in all rping in Sandy or around Blaine in general has been a very pleasant experience and the most fun I've had role-playing a legal character in general. The main community which fills the area with a lot of activities consists of nothing but good people and I can only recommend it to people.

Edited by Suarez
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 3
On 12/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, orangejuice said:

I’m European so I’ve always imagined the Californian countryside (all American countryside) as Hill Billy’s and inbred folk like from the wrong turn and the hills have eyes lol 😂 

image.png.d50b184b6c414fcc5e0ce8d8f1e6749e.png

Totally incorrect and almost offensive; what gave you the inclination that they partake in incest? If anything those are European teeth in the photo you posted...

• Upvote 1
  • Moonsong locked and unlocked this topic