Community Transparency: Keeping Everyone Informed

Benny Black

I think this is a good time for a quick chat on the topic of transparency. I feel like when decisions are made in this community by management and others; Everyone isn't always properly informed. For example, earlier today when everyone was on the verge of rioting because they thought SD was going to be shut down (it isn't, and that's not what this thread is about. So, don't bring it up.) simply due to certain individuals jumping to conclusions and not knowing the full picture. Myself included. So, I think as a community we need to work together to keep everyone better informed on what is and isn't going on. One way I think we could improve upon community transparency is by making ban appeals public again, but making it so only the person who posts the thread, the support team members, and the administration team can actually comment on it. I really feel like everyone should be aware of who is and isn't being allowed back into the community, but that's just one aspect of this discussion.

I'll leave the rest up to you guys. Let's discuss. Please, keep it civil.

transparent.PNG

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, Sacred said:

Yeah, it's starting to feel like we're in the Soviet Union. Discussions get suppressed and locked, 0 transparency. We ask for answers and we get told:

image0.png

That's the kind of comment that will get this thread locked & archived. So, tread carefully please. I wanna have a civil discussion.

11 minutes ago, Seanny said:

Whilst I agree that transparency can be a nice thing in many cases, there are instances where being too transparent can have more negative effects than positive. Some discussions are best left private until a conclusion has come about.

Agreed.  I'd like to be privy to those discussions/decisions where the outcome has potential to affect me as a player. In keeping with the example highlighted in the OP, I'd certainly like to know the discussion surrounding a banned player's possible return.  But again, that's only one of many potential scenarios in which transparency would be ideal.

The important thing, in my opinion, is to have transparency where it matters.  And in many instances, it will matter.

Edited by Taina
  • Upvote 1

I’m not picking out particular instances here, but just as a broad general statement; I’d like to see more open dialogue between staff and community when it comes to the application process for both properties and factions.

It seems that an application gets lodged, each respective team takes their time to review it (understandably), and then you are either accepted or (in many cases) outright denied based on the opinions of a couple of staff members who aren’t actually very knowledgeable in your field of expertise. This causes severe friction as you are then immediately put on the defensive and have to try and prove yourself and help to clear up their misconceptions on what you’re trying to say.

This entire back-and-forth process of feeling guilty until proven innocent is ridiculous, and would be completely avoided with a simple conversation where a staff member asks the community member;

”Hey man, I see in your application you have stated X Y Z. Could you please answer a couple of questions we have regarding this to help clear up our thoughts?”.

Again, I’m not speaking about specific circumstances here because I’m not trying to start any arguments, but it’s a common feeling amongst a large group of players here in the community.

I also wouldn’t be surprised at all if this kind of “non-dialogue” happens in other areas of the community, not just strictly in the application processes around factions and properties.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
1 minute ago, Psychedelic said:

I’m not picking out particular instances here, but just as a broad general statement; I’d like to see more open dialogue between staff and community when it comes to the application process for both properties and factions.

It seems that an application gets lodged, each respective team takes their time to review it (understandably), and then you are either accepted or (in many cases) outright denied based on the opinions of a couple of staff members who aren’t actually very knowledgeable in your field of expertise. This causes severe friction as you are then immediately put on the defensive and have to try and prove yourself and help to clear up their misconceptions on what you’re trying to say.

This entire back-and-forth process of feeling guilty until proven innocent is ridiculous, and would be completely avoided with a simple conversation where a staff member asks the community member;

”Hey man, I see in your application you have stated X Y Z. Could you please answer a couple of questions we have regarding this to help clear up our thoughts?”.

Again, I’m not speaking about specific circumstances here because I’m not trying to start any arguments, but it’s a common feeling amongst a large group of players here in the community.

I also wouldn’t be surprised at all if this kind of “non-dialogue” happens in other areas of the community, not just strictly in the application processes around factions and properties.

THIS. 

You made some very good points, my man. Firstly, staff are humans too! Sometimes they're wrong, and especially in the case of faction management it seems like staff sometimes think they know more than they actually do (not a diss). We need to have open-dialogue with each other to iron these things out, not censorship. People are still having these conversations just elsewhere from the mainstream, such as private discords, where the information can be twisted or manipulated to suit one's own purposes. It's like the telephone game on a GTA:5 server where misinformation & disinformation is spread like wildfire. 

See the source image

• Applaud 1
3 minutes ago, Benny Black said:

THIS. 

You made some very good points, my man. Firstly, staff are humans too! Sometimes they're wrong, and especially in the case of faction management it seems like staff sometimes think they know more than they actually do (not a diss). We need to have open-dialogue with each other to iron these things out, not censorship. People are still having these conversations just elsewhere from the mainstream, such as private discords, where the information can be twisted or manipulated to suit one's own purposes. It's like the telephone game on a GTA:5 server where misinformation & disinformation is spread like wildfire. 

See the source image

🙏