Gruppe 6 Corporate Security & You

zaXer.

12 hours ago, Oak said:

I think this faction gets some unnecessary OOC hate from certain people who do not know how a security faction should operate. 
zaXer has been doing a great job maintaining this faction and the faction topic itself is evident to the fact that the roleplay quality is only improving.

Of course, people will and can MIX a few unfortunate IC events, discussing them OOCly just like they'd shame on every other faction. I think nobody should give attention to them.

Y'all are doing a great job! 

The main problem lies between IC portrayal and taking it OOC. Some people roleplay unwealthy, poor, stupid oriented characters and they get praised for having an unique roleplay aspect.

When we try to pull off a realistic security firm, we get laughed at OOCly, without them realising it's actually the portrayal. We do not try or want to be the most perfect, trouble-free, Chuck Norris security firm with zero mistakes. Security companies IRL and guards fuck up all the time, much more than we do (2 times in 3 years?). Security guards IRL always try to overpower  themselves, they try to do things they arent allowed to, abuse their powers, etc. This is a realistic portrayal of a security firm. People however take it OOC and start bashing us for doing this and doing that.

We're not trying to be the faction where everyone is perfect and the guards are always polite, always know what to do and they know their rights to their full extent.

Our guards are a portrayal of the real life and some of them may pull you behind the bar to slap you a few in the face, others may handle the situation without calling police, and third will stick to the rules and do everything 'by the book'.

Also additionally to that, we consider ourselves an entry-level faction. We take in people who are less experienced in roleplay and help them out to improve, if they show signs of having the will to get the hang of it, rather than troll. This creates a zone where sometimes people who we give trust in, fail it and begin doing stuff they shouldn't do. It's how large factions go, there will always be bad apples sneaking their way in.

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, zaXer. said:

others may handle the situation without calling police

Speaking as a security peoples, I need to emphasize that calling the police is rarely "fun" due to all of the paperwork it entails. If a troublemaker can be sent away without paperwork, it will usually be the preferred choice.

7 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Speaking as a security peoples, I need to emphasize that calling the police is rarely "fun" due to all of the paperwork it entails. If a troublemaker can be sent away without paperwork, it will usually be the preferred choice.

absolutely aware, I'm an ex security IRL and now i'm with the police so i know both sides of the world. I was just giving an example of what some characters and people would do, ultimately both IC and happens IRL as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:21 PM, DasFroggy said:

On 9/8/2021 at 4:50 PM, zaXer. said:

When we try to pull off a realistic security firm, we get laughed at OOCly, without them realising it's actually the portrayal. We do not try or want to be the most perfect, trouble-free, Chuck Norris security firm with zero mistakes. Security companies IRL and guards fuck up all the time, much more than we do (2 times in 3 years?). Security guards IRL always try to overpower  themselves, they try to do things they arent allowed to, abuse their powers, etc. This is a realistic portrayal of a security firm. People however take it OOC and start bashing us for doing this and doing that.

We're not trying to be the faction where everyone is perfect and the guards are always polite, always know what to do and they know their rights to their full extent.

Our guards are a portrayal of the real life and some of them may pull you behind the bar to slap you a few in the face, others may handle the situation without calling police, and third will stick to the rules and do everything 'by the book'.

Except it is blatantly illegal to take the law into your own hands as a security guard, armed or otherwise. You are not awarded any rights as a law enforcement officer. Personally I think that's a cop out. If you are trying to portray a realistic security firm, in most cases guards will call the cops first not take things into their own hands. It is preached from day 1, unarmed or armed security. I was private security for 10 years, all the way from an unarmed gate guard to armed bank guard and then corporate security. We had very strict rules on armed security guards using their weapons as a last resort when they or someone near them were in grave danger as that is the law in most states. People didn't just casually make mistakes all the time, especially with a lethal weapon. I can count the number of times on one hand in 10 years where a guard actually messed up that bad, let alone actually have to go to court for firing their weapon. More often than not they can be held criminally liable for using their weapon with unnecessary force. I don't agree with the leeway at all but hey, to each their own.

Edited by 99
1 hour ago, 99 said:

Except it is blatantly illegal to take the law into your own hands as a security guard, armed or otherwise. You are not awarded any rights as a law enforcement officer. Personally I think that's a cop out. If you are trying to portray a realistic security firm, in most cases guards will call the cops first not take things into their own hands. It is preached from day 1, unarmed or armed security. I was private security for 10 years, all the way from an unarmed gate guard to armed bank guard and then corporate security. We had very strict rules on armed security guards using their weapons as a last resort when they or someone near them were in grave danger as that is the law in most states. People didn't just casually make mistakes all the time, especially with a lethal weapon. I can count the number of times on one hand in 10 years where a guard actually messed up that bad, let alone actually have to go to court for firing their weapon. More often than not they can be held criminally liable for using their weapon with unnecessary force. I don't agree with the leeway at all but hey, to each their own.

Highly illegal does not make it unrealistic, however, you're missing the point.

2 hours ago, 99 said:

At no point did I suggest killing someone before calling the police?

If the encounter can be kept nonviolent and is quietly diffused, it is often treated as a both a win and a narrow evasion of paperwork, something that I have to frequently clamp down on when others at my posting see paperwork as the less preferable alternative.

They are required to call the police if the situation warrants it, yes, but the avoidance of paperwork is almost universal across security postings, even despite the reality that overlooking issues will ultimately result in MORE paperwork.

As someone else pointed out, separating the ideal from the real leaves two different experiences. The ideal security firm is going to cross their T's and dot their i's, but a REAL security firm is going to be combatting unprofessionalism relative to how much/little they pay and the environment they work in. Given that we live in a city more dangerous than several previous wars combined, it is a bit understandable that the ideal security firm is hard to find.

2 hours ago, zaXer. said:

Highly illegal does not make it unrealistic, however, you're missing the point.

I agree but to chime in here…. Guards on here seem to think that pulling a weapon is okay to do as a good offense, not defense. This is not realistic and not a good portrayal of a real security faction no matter which way you slice it. 

Edited by Italiano
10 minutes ago, Italiano said:

I agree but to chime in here…. Guards on here seem to think that pulling a weapon is okay to do as a good offense, not defense. This is not realistic and not a good portrayal of a real security faction no matter which way you slice it. 

they work in a city where half of the population are armed criminals

4 minutes ago, Shiro said:

they work in a city where half of the population are armed criminals

So? Pulling a weapon on someone who’s hasn’t presented a threat is just bad portrayal. Using it as a defense if your life is in danger is fine. They aren’t supposed to be cops which is how many of them act. 

Edited by Italiano
  • Wuhtah locked this topic