Current Weather System Discussion

np

The rain is most peoples chief complaint.

People can easily decide whether 15C , 10C, 5C is comfortable for their characters to wear shorts - but rain literally puts an end to your RP if you're doing anything out doors, which might be okay once in a blue moon, but it is raining multiple times per day, every day.

That's entirely unrealistic - it doesn't rain this much in the UK, let alone a Californian climate where there are on average 36 days of rain per year....

Whatever formula is being used to determine the chance of rain is demonstrably broken.

According to the internet, LA gets around 5 days where it rains meaningfully in December, which means, that it should rain once, every ~6 days. (or a 16-17% chance per day)

Since GTA:W weather is seemingly checked hourly,  this equates to 0.67% chance of rain, per hour.

This is 100% not the case right now, it rained every single day in December, often multiple times per day. The variance between what devs are saying is there source data and the actual IG actual weather is so great, the formula being used to determine the chance of rain is clearly not working as intended (and therefore bugged).

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Since GTA:W weather is seemingly checked hourly,  this equates to 0.67% chance of rain, per hour.

Can we get rainy and sunny DAYS please, not just hours?

As mentioned above this is the core issue.

If it's a raining day and you dressed appropriately, rain doesn't have the "stop rp" factor it has in our current random surprise weather rollercoaster when sun is the "default" and rain never lasting longer than an hour or so at max.

1 hour ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

This is 100% not the case right now, it rained every single day in December, often multiple times per day. The variance between what devs are saying is there source data

I was online a lot in december and this seems plausible actually if you do the math:

31x24=744 hours for December.

By statistics thus, we should have had around 1-2 hours of rain in December.

I don't have to explain regular rolled checks don't stick to the statistical average necessarily.

More important however in my opinion is as mentioned not absolute amount of rain (or sun), but the ridiculous inconsistency in weather-

which is definitely caused by hourly checks since regardless what numbers are applied, this allows the game weather to randomly change several times a day.

I've said it above already, but to create immersion, a realistic experience of weather ingame and also to counter the mention "rain-interrupts-my-rp" factor, we need consistent daily weather circles, with rainy/clouded days opposed to hourly chance of monsoon.

• 4 weeks later...