How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

6 hours ago, Juicebox said:

You're basically saying that as my legal character, I should try to tackle the issue by consorting with criminals.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

If your character is so one sided it can’t even consort with criminals in the smallest manner. I’m sorry the extortionists aren’t the issue, you are. 

34 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

Extortion exists in 2020. Not on a massive scale, but it does. Either way, it's incredibly easy to get rid of without firing a single bullet.

ah yes, i forgot people walk into businesses in 2020 asking for "5k a week for cleaning services" without putting much more other effort into proving they are worthy to actually be paid off as a result of how everything works and ignore CCTV cameras filing the entire thing because god forbid: if you tell the police about this and if you send me to jail... you are getting CK'd.

And no @JustAnM43, that wasn't directed towards you, that is literally how I ended up getting extorted once and how absurd it is in GTA:W.

1 hour ago, Henning said:

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

If your character is so one sided it can’t even consort with criminals in the smallest manner. I’m sorry the extortionists aren’t the issue, you are. 

I like how you ignored the rest of my post lol. I’m a real life example of someone who doesn’t consort with ANY criminals (knowingly). My business has never been extorted and god forbid if it did, I’d call the police and have it handled. I wouldn’t all of a sudden think of “protection” from some people I assume to be criminals. That sounds completely ridiculous. 

So how does that make me the problem? Makes absolutely no sense. Its poor portrayal to all of a sudden reach out to criminals when my character has no business doing so and no background that would suggest my character would even think about it. The average person isn’t going to think, “Oh I should find someone and pay them to protect me. Please sir, extort me but for less than the last guy.” They call the cops. Big brain moves! If you think that my 100% legal character must knowingly consort with criminals to reach a solution in this case, I’d venture to say you are the problem. 

Edited by Juicebox
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, yerro said:

It kinda baffles me how the OP has a very wrong mindset concerning this situation and everyone seens to nod along to it?

What should baffle you is the vast amount of people who say they have a genuine complaint, but then do nothing but bicker about it like prepubescent teenagers. Nobody is actually suggesting anything to fix it, and when you try to organize people to do so they just ignore that to go argue about it some more lmao

2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

What should baffle you is the vast amount of people who say they have a genuine complaint, but then do nothing but bicker about it like prepubescent teenagers. Nobody is actually suggesting anything to fix it, and when you try to organize people to do so they just ignore that to go argue about it some more lmao

That is a general trend here, unfortunately. I think I've even addressed it on the previous page. Instead of taking the time to solve the problem, they rather complain and shut down an entire area of roleplay entirely.

Edited by yerro
28 minutes ago, Juicebox said:

If you think that my 100% legal character must knowingly consort with criminals to reach a solution in this case, I’d venture to say you are the problem. 

Two things can be true at once.

1. The only way to permanently deal with extortion at present is to illegally deal with it.
  2. This should not be the case, is highly unrealistic, and anyone suggesting it can take a long walk off a short pier.

Illegal RP pushed onto civilians has long been plagued by the double standard of a requirement that victims RP fear without any such requirement on the aggressor's side - honestly, it's a much milder sort of issue as we have with robberies in that script assets can be the only goal. I've been fortunate enough to experience extortions that are roleplayed hundreds of times better than robberies, but my solution on a policy level is the same - change the incentive structure. Mind, I haven't formed an opinion on exactly how to change that incentive structure beyond harsher legal penalties for those convicted of the crime (or any crime, really.)

You should be in jail for a month or longer, not days - and if you can't do the time, don't do the crime. If you have the power to CK people who don't respond well to your demands, it's literally the least you could do to rot in prison for an extended period of time if you're caught. It's not like before where a jail sentence was the equivalent to an ajail with no RP, so there's really no reason not to extend sentencing.

Now, since I don't have many solutions for those being extorted, I'll just convey my experience with extortions. I've seen it dealt with in a variety of ways on a practical level; it's unfortunate that illegal methods of dealing with extortion tend to be the most fruitful, but here's how I've seen it happen.

1. Kill the extorter(s). Literally have him meet you in private, blow him away, then clean up the carpet later. Or call the police and tell them he tried to rob you after you make sure he has a weapon of some kind. Works even better if you can get CK perms on him. People don't like being CK'd, so the rest of the group tends to immediately metagame knowledge of exactly what happened - but that's something you can deal with in reports. It's messy, but hey, you won't get extorted. Obviously a terrible option for legal RPers, but the others are bad too.
  2. Report to the police. The least effective option. They will seed your general customer base with detectives to catch someone in the act of something - only to tell you they don't have enough evidence, even when they directly witnessed a known member of the gang assault an employee with their melee weapon of choice while yelling "you have to pay up." Investigations will inevitably be forgotten in a personnel shuffle. If they can't arrest someone for something right there on the spot, it doesn't tend to be effective in the slightest - but God have mercy on your soul if your licenses aren't up to date.
  3. Demonstrate a show of force. Show them you know exactly who they are by sending a convoy of black trucks to the outside of their hood/hideout/business/etc and asking to speak with them. Tell them to leave you alone. Granted, it takes a criminal who can actually RP fear properly for this to work, and that's a relatively uncommon breed - but I've seen this work. If they burn your business down, you'll burn theirs down, and by that point it's really more trouble than it's worth for $5000.

Do with that what you will, but until legal penalties are increased, those are your options.

• Upvote 1
  • effion locked this topic