How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

11 hours ago, Henning said:

Give criminals more to actually do and make money. Right now, unless your a supplier drugs don't make enough money. At the end of the day, gangs and mobs are a business and their goal is to make money

I'd like to underline this statement with a few statistics gathered recently.

Operating a a bustling nightclub, my character, business manager, calculates with revenues between 50-90k for openings, depending on how good it goes etc. Against this stand fixed costs between 40-50k. Behind this stands a business owner taking their share of profits.

Just so much for the business plan without to go into detail.

To simulate the proper rp experience for my club goers, I obviously want a guy or two supplying ecstasy, cocaine and other party drugs to like minded customers.

For the obvious reason of nightclubs being attractive venues to sell such products, my character is occasionaly getting in contact with such parties- some approaching her upfront to ask for permissions, some being caught in the act.

Now let's assume I establish a connection with a few dealers whose activities in the club are sanctioned by my character.

Typically, I will ask for, if not be offered, a share in the profits made on my turf.

At this point the often mentioned worthless-ness of drugs in terms of profit comes into play.

Now I have this guy with whom I have a halfway trusted relationship, who seems to be able to do his job without my guards spotting him, and without talk to those amongst the guests who might be cops or such.

His trade is, for LS-measures, going well, as he's able to sell small quantities reliably to like minded club goers.

The guy sells ecstasy, for a price of 320 dollar per pill.

It doesn't need a math wiz to spot out already that even if there's a full club with 50+ people and he sells everyone a pill (50x320), his revenue will be massively smaller. More realistic is also to assume that onlymaybe a third of people have an interest to consume drugs ic, so let's be generous and go with half. Our guy pays 250 to aquire his pills first hand.

25x320=8,000.

-25x250=6,250

Now, because my guy's also a decent character, he knows he owes me for turning a blind eye, and isn't doing it for the money but only the rp (lol, no shit!). So he does, as mentioned, offer me my cut in the profits, 10% for doing nothing, I earned it!

Wow, now I've added a whopping 175 dollar to my 50k business revenue for encouraging a realistic club scenery and supporting criminal rp, yay!

And that's with assumed good drug sales.

I don't have to point out that for my character, it's the much safer option to just be generous (lol!), let her guy be a good man and  thank him for serving her customers, rather than to further incriminate herself by taking money stemming from not legal business operations.

It just doesn't pay off financially in comparison to other possible mafi-esque operations (let's say operating a few government-supported coffee shops on your own that require zero staff cost and each get government support for chasing your friends around them when opening in turns, but I'm far off topic now).

That's why all ic motivation I get, even if maybe interested in getting enough powder down my own nose ic too, is to stay out of this as much as I can to not risk my legal business being blown up for my bad habits.

This is caused by the discrepancy between illegal profits and other ways to earn money.

6 hours ago, Henning said:

Prostitution - Maybe somebody from EOC wants to chime in on this one but basically it's a fucking horror show. You can do it, it's profitable but people on this server have some fucked up fetishes and they use this server to live them out.

Drugs -  Drugs should be the most profitable and the majority of criminal activity on the server.

[...]

I can for instance work one hour in a government supported job (4,000) at any random counter without to serve any customer (unlikely, but it happens).

Through this I'll earn 4,000 dollar, which is enough to finance two weeks of heroin addiction with the price for that, if that's my thing in character.

Dancing in a strip club operated by syndicates will give a 3,000/hour base.

The obvious result: People also suck cock only for the rp and not for the money (sorry I had to say it).

On 12/24/2020 at 9:15 PM, Henning said:

Additionally, there is the IC factor. PD and SD does nothing to address major crime or at least this is the impression they give IC. If I see cops ignoring shit time after time, eventually my character is going to get the impression that he can get away with shit like violent extortion.

time to lobby for our govt to finally unleash the national guard on south central in that case. that's the impression i get ic.

for real though, if that's the excuse anyone uses, what's to stop the federal government from realistically planting their foot to deal with the somalian crimerates server-wide? ic's ic, but you sometimes have to make sacrifices based on realism for the sake of portraying shit realistically. you fear the law, you fear the cops and definitely fear the reprecussions of your actions. and if everything was following that logic, people wouldn't get away with as much shit as they do, because it'd be an arbitrary limitation taken away from the opps.

oh yeah, something about server roleplay quality too idk

There's only so much PD/SD can do about people practicing extortion. IF the extortion (attempt) is reported then it might be investigated. IF it is investigated, there's a chance the person will have an arrest warrant. IF the arrest warrant is carried out, said person will be imprisoned for a few days and then they'll be back at it.

All of that work for one single case, a lot of ifs and ultimately have no actual repercussions. The alternative is to either open your business and make no profits (because extortionists are allowed to ask for whatever amount) or not pay and literall have your business burned downed or your character CKed. There's really no way out of it. The only way to fix this issue is through admin intervention and by regulating this practice.

I'm actually extremely curious to see what would happen if we would actually take everything IC as some people claim we should do. Lets militarize the police to the point where they'll be effective enough to fear. Declare marshal law, give every police officer an assault rifle, swat uniform. And give them fully decked out Humvee's.

I wonder if these same people will be petitioning the government then too, or come to the forums complaining about unrealistic police portrayal. 

By simply reading what I just said, you'll understand how silly it sounds to take this "IC". It's clearly an OOC portrayal issue. Because if not, why do we have DM as a rule? People get randomly murdered in real life too. "Deal with that ICly". No, we have OOC rules to streamline roleplay and ensure it's an enjoyable, semi-realistic environment for everyone to enjoy. The same thing needs to be done with these silly extortions. Regulate it, please.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I'm actually extremely curious to see what would happen if we would actually take everything IC as some people claim we should do. Lets militarize the police to the point where they'll be effective enough to fear. Declare marshal law, give every police officer an assault rifle, swat uniform. And give them fully decked out Humvee's.

I wonder if these same people will be petitioning the government then too, or come to the forums complaining about unrealistic police portrayal. 

By simply reading what I just said, you'll understand how silly it sounds to take this "IC". It's clearly an OOC portrayal issue. Because if not, why do we have DM as a rule? People get randomly murdered in real life too. "Deal with that ICly". No, we have OOC rules to streamline roleplay and ensure it's an enjoyable, semi-realistic environment for everyone to enjoy. The same thing needs to be done with these silly extortions. Regulate it, please.

It's not even about that. The police can already investigate and take down people who practice extortion (a bit harder to take down the entire organization), but that's temporary. Having a full-on investigation just to lock someone up for a few days and have them doing literally the same thing again and again is just useless. It should be an OOC concern.

Most extorters from my experiences are pretty poor roleplayers. Only a few get it right and actually stick to their areas of control without getting DMy about it.

The only way I can think of solving it is PKing them or trying to get CK rights on them otherwise they will just keep coming back. If your char is a strictly legal RP character though you're pretty screwed. Just report them to the police and hope you catch a PK instead of a CK?

5 hours ago, Entity said:

It's not even about that. The police can already investigate and take down people who practice extortion (a bit harder to take down the entire organization), but that's temporary. Having a full-on investigation just to lock someone up for a few days and have them doing literally the same thing again and again is just useless. It should be an OOC concern.

This.

2 hours ago, Falrock said:

Most extorters from my experiences are pretty poor roleplayers. Only a few get it right and actually stick to their areas of control without getting DMy about it.

The only way I can think of solving it is PKing them or trying to get CK rights on them otherwise they will just keep coming back. If your char is a strictly legal RP character though you're pretty screwed. Just report them to the police and hope you catch a PK instead of a CK?

then support good factions in your area. pay them so they solve the problems for you. WIN WIN

• effion locked this topic