How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

15 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

For sure. Still, this really is something that the criminal community could be dealing with right now. It would be easy enough to put these concerns to rest if they self-policed their own and weeded out anyone that engaged in destrimental-quality roleplay. Alas, that too requires work, and who wants to work when money is as easy as asking for a boss and threatening CKs?

They're not a monolithic institution though. The most we can really ask for is that they throw themselves behind suggestions that'll ameliorate the issue - one of which is the lengthening of all prison sentences. 

Not only would that give criminals cause to think a little more carefully about what they're about to do, it would populate and liven up the otherwise sparsely populated prison.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, the only time I was arrested and was really looking forward to making illicit contacts in prison, one guy ignored me because we were of different races and the other guy took off his shirt and tried to steal dinner rolls off everyone's canteen tray. Those were the only two people I had to interact with, and that kinda sucks.

I'll happily get arrested for something when that happens, but we can't get sucked into an "us vs them" mentality and hope to make progress against the issue. 

Edited by Smilesville
3 hours ago, sio said:

just pay it lol, you lose 10-20k a week in a server where you can earn 30k a day easily and it's vastly interesting rp

A few things.

1. Some businesses require a number of employees whose schedules generally preclude opening more than once a week, and the profit margins after paying them are only 10-20k if you're lucky.

2. I don't know how many hours daily you play to reach 30k, but I can definitively say you have more time on your hands than most people.

3. As things stand on the server, the only thing vastly interesting about extortion RP is how nearly everyone who comes out saying there are no problems with it has a street thug or a mafioso in their profile avatars.

If people are walking up to you straight away and extorting you, then I don't know what to tell you. No one gets extorted like that in 2021.

However, it really just depends on the character. I have been watching this thread and looking at examples of extortion IRL. It's always done in a shrewd manner. The people getting extorted are usually scared, or they are both from the same background and fear for the safety, and their families. They also got approached as friends, and then later end up getting taxed due to a debt or etc. If the roleplay behind the extortion attempt is good, then maybe you should just buy in and get extorted. If it's sub par, and there's no context behind it then you should definitely report it, or work with cops on gathering up evidence. 

I think it always depends on the situation, but if someone randomly walks up to you and says " hey u have to kick up money now " without no roleplay behind it, then you should definitely report. 

Maurice Clarett was bankrolled by an alleged member of an Israeli crime organization after leaving Ohio State, ESPN has learned, and Clarett's attorney said Thursday that his client may have been in possession of firearms last week to protect himself against mob activity.

Clarett's attorney, Nick Mango, said Thursday that Clarett has repeatedly received death threats over the past year but that a cryptic postcard sent from Los Angeles last week has him wondering about Clarett's ties to an alleged mob enforcer.

A grand jury indicted Perez-Castañeda and dozens of others for their part in the Mexican Mafia’s expansive extortion racket that they operated for years across the Los Angeles County jail system. Many of their operatives working outside the jails to control street gangs across the region were swept up in a series of federal raids in March and May 2018.

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, sio said:

just pay it lol, you lose 10-20k a week in a server where you can earn 30k a day easily and it's vastly interesting rp

I will "just pay it lol" once extorters start providing high quality extortion RP for both parties involved. I'm sick of the criminals who waltz into a random business and begin making threats to an owner they know nothing about. Just because you're character is "dangerous" does not mean business owners should automatically succumb to your demands. Business owners have the right to decline the extortionist if there is no mutual benefit or if they do not believe the extortionist has a valid reason for extorting their business.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Juicebox. said:

I think exporters on the server 100& take advantage of the fact that they know that they can CK you so you cant really say no and you cant really do anything to counter it, so I think from that sense it does stem to an OOC issue

Agree totally. It is an OOC issue, because those extortionists have the knowledge OOC-ly, that after all, they can go only to jail for a couple of days for those kind of crimes. And second - they know also, that the police really won´t investigate IG extortion, because it takes a lot of time, yet the punishments are so little. Why even bother?

There is difference between lot of illegal character RP-ers (not all of them) and legal characters. Many of the illegal characters know, that they are already in a situation, where they can be CK´d/PK´d a lot of times, because they are part of a criminal organization, so they take this into account and do not really care about their characters. Of course - this does not include everybody of them. Have seen some of the best rp-ers in the server being in illegal organizations. But there are a lot, a lot more legal characters, who have, as their main focus, character development and developing their business, et cetera. And now - some low-rp person comes and asks for money, and if the person, who has put many-many hours into their business, is declining, and also OOC-ly knowing that the police ain´t doing nothing about it, they would be risking their hundreds of hours being for nothing, because it might end up with a CK. Of course, they do not CK you at first, but the final step is one. First they damage your business, burn it down, kidnap you, beat you and then CK you. And the admins would accept the CK application, because they have been taking other steps beforehand. What they seem to lack, is the knowledge, that right now, there are no legal steps for business owners to take, to counter it. 

I love those people, who say here, that call other mobsters for help. Like legit - is that your understanding of every business owner, that he/she has some underworld crime bosses on speed dial? The truth is - we can not turn to nobody IG and except some real consequences to the organization. And if you try to go to police and have some luck and one of those people is sent to jail for a couple of days, that is a clear reason for the whole organization to retaliate and CK would be approved, like Vinewood Liquoer store owner, who worked with the police and got CK´d, fought against it and was told that "since your name was in the court documents and those were public" it was reason enough for a CK. 

@Greyfeather wrote out some superb points about who those groups should realistically target. I totally agree. Right now - they just have turfs, go to every business and wants 10k-20k from every business in their turf. Like the Albanians did, who got their faction taken down - but they are not the only ones. 

To start it off extortion nowdays is quite rare because the risk of it is very high from law enforcement. I’ll try to give my two cents very shortly from the blackmailer’s POV.

If you’re going to extort someone ICly you best be prepared to be business partners with the other party. If you’re going to extort someone you will also have to offer something back or help them push through with their business so it is more fair to both parties, that way the earnings will be bigger for both of them. The party being extorted should take advantage of the blackmailer by asking for stuff that they need, if the blackmailer doesn’t come in aid you’ll kick up lower next week to him and mostlikely he’ll confront you about it and when that time comes you’ll tell him that he didn’t get what he need so he could earn. The extortion should go both ways. If the blackmailer demands to get only the kick-up he’ll mostlikely be killed or end up getting pinched by law enforcement. And I’ve seen this happening ICly.

Edited by Tony™
  • effion locked this topic