How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

28 minutes ago, Powley said:

damn you cappin 

You know standard sentence for extortion ranges from 3 to 14 years and usually also includes fines. So said bit of money if charged and sentenced can get you solid 3 years for simple extortion for example.

Edited by Engelbert
42 minutes ago, DjoleK said:

I would assume that you got the hint when it was shut down, instead you go to other thread and try to argue it... why?
And yes, lack of RICO law regarding extortion at the moment is IC issue, something that can easily be tackled ICly if people actually tried.

Assuming San Andreas has the same status within the US as Puerto Rico, which is far-fetched to begin with (it would be the worst option, but alright, say it is), it is still under federal law. RICO is a federal law, hence it should be there. How is it realistic for that not to be the case currently? There is no easy way to tackle it, unless you want to enlighten those you keep in the dark with your vague reply, including me. (And no I'm not a law expert, this is a simple google search away)

Edited by Triple Seven
53 minutes ago, Triple Seven said:

Assuming San Andreas has the same status within the US as Puerto Rico, which is far-fetched to begin with (it would be the worst option, but alright, say it is), it is still under federal law. RICO is a federal law, hence it should be there. How is it realistic for that not to be the case currently? There is no easy way to tackle it, unless you want to enlighten those you keep in the dark with your vague reply, including me. (And no I'm not a law expert, this is a simple google search away)

Somewhere around march-june this year RICO law was implemented by then Rockford administration. It was removed soon after due to reasons that I'm not actually aware of.
Now, on the point of business owners, rather than getting their voice heard, staging a protest, making posts on facebrowser, doing ANYTHING about it ICly they rather decide to complain about it on the forums hoping their troubles vanish.
As for those who are already cracking their fingers ready to tell me that ‚‚tAkE iT iC'' never works, it does work. We've had multiple cases of IC issues being resolved ICly, through IC actions, rather than OOC bitching about it on the forums. (Weazel news, Halford situation, speed bumps, etc...)

21 minutes ago, DjoleK said:

doing ANYTHING about it ICly they rather decide to complain about it on the forums hoping their troubles vanish.

true

I did a couple of extortion cases some time ago, when my character was in the detective bureau. Some of these cases ended up in court and some are still being investigated.

There's an extreme lack of interest in these cases and I can see why. Most of the time these business owners expect things to be solved within a day, meanwhile IRL cases on organized crime groups take months and years to complete. The business owners simply come up with: ''hey, X is extorting me, handle it''. I sometimes had nothing to work with and they weren't really listening on what to do or how they should handle it.

The goal at that time was to stack the racketeering charge and as many other charges as possible so the sentenced would be as long as possible in prison. Again, this is not done within a day or week. It'll take months just like how long these cases take to complete IRL. 

As for the RICO charge? It'll only add up years for 'involvement', but slapping a player with a RICO charge is more easily said than done. There's alot of criteria that must be met.

If you have absolutely no clue on how to handle/deal with extortion (by legal and illegal means), please message me. I'll gladly give you some tips.

It's not IC if it literally already is a federal law but just ignored... Also, blowing it in the open (either on FaceBrowser or in a public protest) that you're being extorted, or even about a law against it, that's not gonna go down well, is it? Imagine the forum reports about fear RP, I can see them already. Every argument I've seen from people on the criminal side is shortsighted, maybe from the civilian side people see too many issues. There has to be a middle ground, but I think we can all agree, IC consequences are not balanced at the moment and civs can only choose unrealistic options to try and counter it. Otherwise they're locked into funding the criminals through a powergamey situation.

32 minutes ago, DjoleK said:

Somewhere around march-june this year RICO law was implemented by then Rockford administration. It was removed soon after due to reasons that I'm not actually aware of.
Now, on the point of business owners, rather than getting their voice heard, staging a protest, making posts on facebrowser, doing ANYTHING about it ICly they rather decide to complain about it on the forums hoping their troubles vanish.
As for those who are already cracking their fingers ready to tell me that ‚‚tAkE iT iC'' never works, it does work. We've had multiple cases of IC issues being resolved ICly, through IC actions, rather than OOC bitching about it on the forums. (Weazel news, Halford situation, speed bumps, etc...)

2 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

It's not IC if it literally already is a federal law but just ignored... Also, blowing it in the open (either on FaceBrowser or in a public protest) that you're being extorted, or even about a law against it, that's not gonna go down well, is it? Imagine the forum reports about fear RP, I can see them already. Every argument I've seen from people on the criminal side is shortsighted, maybe from the civilian side people see too many issues. There has to be a middle ground, but I think we can all agree, IC consequences are not balanced at the moment and civs can only choose unrealistic options to try and counter it. Otherwise they're locked into funding the criminals through a powergamey situation.

Complain the lack of RICO laws, not that you are being extorted.

4 hours ago, DjoleK said:

@Briutas can explain he went to those depths. Cops. Private security. Then the county rep. Then the mayor.

You know what happened? Nothing. There is an extreme OOC lack of interest with regards to extortion on multiple levels. It’s already been said multiple times. This is no longer just an IC issue. I would love if this could be tackled purely IC but it obviously can’t. Too many people who think extortion is “you’re on our turf, pay up

or die”. There’s even a guide about that and people have even supported the guide. Common sense in this case isn’t working. 

Edited by Cypher
2 minutes ago, Cypher said:

@Briutas can explain he went to those depths. Cops. Private security. Then the county rep. Then the mayor.

Sure,

I went to police and actively cooperated with them to help with investigation. The incident was recorded by CCTV inside my property and the group was seen slamming me against the wall, surrounding me, none of them were masked.

P.S. After a week of reporting it to the law enforcement I spoke with the detective on discord and he told me that they are not RP'ing that investigation anymore. I think it's something to do with the faction doing some crazy shootouts all over the place to the point where police just couldn't be arsed anymore as it was unrealistic.

I already had security contractors, I had my business put as high priority to increase patrol times. 

I made posts on Face browser saying that the business is being targeted (Publicity is often used by journalists to avoid being kidnapped or killed, because if that happened It would be quite clear who did it).

I reached out to multiple business owners and other influential people like county district representative and LS Mayor at that time.

At the end of the day, none of that deterred the group (they have seen multiple police and security cars outside the business so they were aware of the actions I am taking). They continued to harass the business and It got to a point where every time I log In I have to spend my time RPing my response to vandalism and other harassment and had no time to do other RP. As someone mentioned in another thread extorters for legal rp'ers are like a leech - they're not enjoyable, but you can't really get rid of them. 

Personally it got to the point for me where RPing my character was frustrating and not enjoyable at all and I had to take a break from RP.

• effion locked this topic