How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

2 hours ago, Pádraig said:

I'd say that we live in a reality that is not at all akin to a modern American city, so drawing comparisons is inane

I don't know if we'd like the logical extreme that would lead us to - never mind I've seen applications for factions denied on the basis that "this doesn't exist in Los Angeles." That seems to indicate staff feel differently about it.

Well, in my experience, the only time that I was able to get out of being extorted was when I told the group that was extorting me that I planned to sell the business, and that pretty much ended things. I was being extorted for quite some time, but I was contempt with the RP as it was decent and the fee they charged was not an absurd amount.

I also did not see what avenue that I could take to get out of being extorted from a large group like that, and even if I had, I believe that it is just a revolving door and another group would come around doing the same thing.

Edited by Zo

I don't currently own a business but there should be a way to not have to hire security for a 24/7 and run business without being extorted. It's very easy for the extorters to say "Make the PD do better" which I agree they should but there should also be an ACTUAL punishment for the extorters if a buiness owner can be punished with a CK, am I wrong for thinking that way? The server has offered high reward and high risk to all forms of illegal RP and vice versa for legal RP, but besides a short sentence in prison, the illegal RPers get a massive advantage in these situations and basically can hold a legal RPers character in the palm of their hands. And when I say they should be risking something, this includes an OOC risk in my opinion. Possibly as stated before, if you go to prison for extortion, you should be PKed from that situation because realistically you would be in jail for quite a long time(2-4 years to be exact). Sure the cops arrest somebody, but now he's out in a couple hours/days and he's gonna CK you for taking your only actual route if you stick to legal RP. Yeah you can break your legal RP and PK/CK them before they get to you, but as mentioned it's a revolving door, another group will come in  and take their place, inevitably making your PK attempts useless.

Or, you shouldn't be CKed for calling 911 on people extorting your business, that's silly. Most other instances on this server wouldn't require a CK, why should this one that's 100% out of the shop owners control?

Edited by Juicebox.
On 12/7/2020 at 2:07 PM, PSYCHOTHINKER said:

I mean... I don't think it leaves you with a choice if it's a legal character tbh except for taking it the legal way which I don't really think will be effective. So let's say I put the extorters in jail through the legal way with the help of PD, they will come back after a few days and the same thing will happen again. (Or at least I think the same thing will happen)

Wouldn't that be poor roleplay to go after someone days later after receiving felony convictions? 

12 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Hmm, yes, the best counter to criminal interactions that may force me to create a new character is to... -checks notes- ...essentially create a new character.

Such relief. Much simple.

Hmm, yes, give a twisted version of events in reply to something pulled out of context to strengthen your argument. I swear, man, you guys do this a lot around here.

Why? If you disagree with my opinion, why pretend to dismantle it? Just say you can't find it in you to agree, or to listen to it in general. Why make a point so blatantly fake and farfetched? 

So you're not allowed to gun people down in broad daylight in the middle of the street, regardless if absolutely no soul is around. Because "It's unrealistic, that street would be very busy realistically" but then at the same time. Nobody ever uses the same type of logic when it comes to this kind of roleplay. If we're forced to use our imagination and not RP what we actually see in regard to situations like the one I just described, why isn't that same argument applied to extortion where the criminal group in question has to pretend the PD isn't useless and would function as any normal police force in a major American city? The people who are saying that they simply keep doing it because of the lack of effort from the PD need to question their roleplay standards. You can hardly expect the same effort and dedication from a virtual police force in comparison to real life. It's a video game, it's concerning some people mentioned this. You, and only YOU are responsible for your own portrayal, and your own way of roleplaying. You're fully able to decide for yourself that instead of following the meta, you can simply uphold different realities for your character in order to portray a realistic individual instead of going for the Gotham City approach.

If we were to 1:1 roleplay what we see in game, we should've rolled out the national guard a very long time ago and militarized the police heavily with all the gun related violence in the city, the rampant armed militias disguised as "Mafia's or gangs" going around extorting businesses. And many more things that I surely don't have to mention. You get the point.

Increasing the IC punishments is just going to increase the amount of violence people are willing to use to scare the business owner, and it'll just ensure his big bad associates will definitely come back to gun you down for putting their friend in prison for a month. I would personally like to see extortions being monitored and requiring permission from IFM before it's being done. Possibly on a case to case basis where a faction could write out an application with their reasoning for their extortion attempt and with proper explanation of how they plan to proceed with their attempt. Ensuring it is no longer done in your 90's Soprano's fashion, but rather in modern ways. There are many ways to extort businesses in a very discreet and realistic manner. Leaving threatening notes behind, forcing the owner to transfer money in form of bit coin to remain anonymous. If refused, escalate things slowly every time to get the point across. There are many roads that lead to Rome that doesn't have to completely ruin the playing experience for your fellow community members.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 2
11 minutes ago, Martyn said:

So you're not allowed to gun people down in broad daylight in the middle of the street, regardless if absolutely no soul is around. Because "It's unrealistic, that street would be very busy realistically" but then at the same time. Nobody ever uses the same type of logic when it comes to this kind of roleplay. If we're forced to use our imagination and not RP what we actually see in regard to situations like the one I just described, why isn't that same argument applied to extortion where the criminal group in question has to pretend the PD isn't useless and would function as any normal police force in a major American city? The people who are saying that they simply keep doing it because of the lack of effort from the PD need to question their roleplay standards. You can hardly expect the same effort and dedication from a virtual police force in comparison to real life. It's a video game, it's concerning some people mentioned this. You, and only YOU are responsible for your own portrayal, and your own way of roleplaying. You're fully able to decide for yourself that instead of following the meta, you can simply uphold different realities for your character in order to portray a realistic individual instead of going for the Gotham City approach.

If we were to 1:1 roleplay what we see in game, we should've rolled out the national guard a very long time ago and militarized the police heavily with all the gun related violence in the city, the rampant armed militias disguised as "Mafia's or gangs" going around extorting businesses. And many more things that I surely don't have to mention. You get the point.

Increasing the IC punishments is just going to increase the amount of violence people are willing to use to scare the business owner, and it'll just ensure his big bad associates will definitely come back to gun you down for putting their friend in prison for a month. I would personally like to see extortion's being monitored and requiring permission from IFM before it's being done. Possibly on a case to case basis where a faction could write out an application with their reasoning for their extortion attempt and with proper explanation of how they plan to proceed with their attempt. Ensuring it is no longer done in your 90's Soprano's fashion, but rather in modern ways. There are many ways to extort businesses in a very discreet and realistic manner. Leaving threatening notes behind, forcing the owner to transfer money in form of bit coin to remain anonymous. If refused, escalate things slowly every time to get the point across. There are many roads that lead to Rome that doesn't have to completely ruin the playing experience for your fellow community members.

I fully agree, as long as the same result can happen to the person who attempts an extortion. Meaning Many business here get shot up, owners killed or worse, CK'd for refusing. Same should apply to the extortionists same it applies to business owner, meaning you put him at risk, you are also at risk.

Same should apply to robberies.

EDIT:

Furthermore, the CCTV rule should be changed for outdoors, as many business place mapped CCTV outside their business, if it's physically mapped object, then you should not have to ask permission from other party, we are roleplaying 2020, cities are full of CCTV all around. Moreover if you can run GTAV you surely can run ShadowPlay (nVidia) or ReLive (AMD) to record.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
  • Upvote 1

Most extortion attempts are done by trolls for fun, 9/10 times that I've ever seen anyone getting extorted on any RP server it has been done by a troll and or it ruins there RP experience. It needs to be done in a more realistic and controlled manner to prevent it ruining everyones fun.

It all depends on your character development, I do not necessarily believe that "losing" in a situation matters as long as it benefits your character development. You have a chance of turning illegal in order to get out of extortion, or try to take it the legal way and hope for the best in-character.

As for anything else, if I believed the role-play quality was bad from the people attempting to extort my character, I would just file a player report.

• effion locked this topic