How does someone get out of extortion?

caballero

Apart from waiting for the law to change (work in progress). You could simply report instances of extortion to the police, record your own evidence, trespass people who come into your business and hire a private security firm to do what the police can’t do for you. 

I would recommend hiring security to protect your business. Either something like Gruppe 6 or some bouncers.  Extortionists in real life tend to not target a business that is well protected. Most businesses in the real world that get extorted are often small and immigrant owned. If you have security protecting your business, crime groups can't easily harm your business. 

2 hours ago, Santanaa said:

OH yes, all legal rpers should do this until they find the extorters who only want 6 dollars a week, big brain??? 

I mean you meme about this but it's the correct answer. I get it, there are a lot of factions who just steam roll legal RPers and their businesses when it comes to extortion. The Judiciary is working on a solution and so is gov. Until then however, you have to play the game with the cards you're dealt and in a city where the police can't even catch high level criminals that means finding other means of protection. Mainly seeking protection from local gangs or a organization that isn't trying to fleece you for every cent you have. They do exist and it's worked in the past.

For an example: One of my criminal characters owned a 24/7, one of my employees happened to be involved with a raffle that was being extorted. Now he didn't know much about my character's ties to crime but it was reasonable given my interactions with other gang members when they came into the store. Now, my employee approached me and explained that some guys had come into the store while he was working and tried to rough him up for the money, this is where I stepped in. He came to me asking for protection and to try to negotiate with the parties extorting him, since they had brought the issue into my business I agreed and set a meeting with the other faction. The guy who was roughing up my employee didn't know who I was, but the people above him did and they ordered the extortion to stop immediately. It wasn't something they wanted to ruin our existing relationship over.

I continuously hear legal RPers complaining about extortion but very rarely do I see anyone go about tackling it this way. In previous threads people have stated that doing so would make their perfectly legal characters into dirty criminals which is frankly a bullshit excuse. The world is not black and white and neither is the server. Making concessions to criminals doesn't make your character a criminal, it makes your character actually somewhat realistic for once. 

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Henning said:

I continuously hear legal RPers complaining about extortion but very rarely do I see anyone go about tackling it this way. In previous threads people have stated that doing so would make their perfectly legal characters into dirty criminals which is frankly a bullshit excuse. The world is not black and white and neither is the server. Making concessions to criminals doesn't make your character a criminal, it makes your character actually somewhat realistic for once. 

This.

To take it into a lesser extent, a lot of people have dealt with criminals knowingly or unknowingly.

I find it hard to believe that MOST people would turn down a phone that's 50% off retail just because it doesn't have a receipt, even though it may be stolen, most people wouldn't blink twice before buying it. 

I think extortion either needs to get some admin attention and get locked behind some kind of chain rule, OR people should be allowed to CK extorters.

It's incredibly silly for every single gang that pops up to want to extort a business. Practically every single business in LS is controlled by someone, even the ones in rich areas. 

I'm very sceptical of whether the percentage of extorted businesses is actually realistic or not.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

I think extortion either needs to get some admin attention and get locked behind some kind of chain rule, OR people should be allowed to CK extorters.

It's incredibly silly for every single gang that pops up to want to extort a business. Practically every single business in LS is controlled by someone, even the ones in rich areas. 

I'm very sceptical of whether the percentage of extorted businesses is actually realistic or not.

• effion locked this topic