Anyone else get annoyed when they see certain cars?

Juicebox.

27 minutes ago, JustAnM43 said:

You can have two years worth of development and drive a somewhat decent car and you're still gonna get called a mallrat. Apparently on this server you only gotta drive junkers and shitboxes to make people think otherwise. It's hilarious.

Facts, how dare you drive anything but Emperors.

Not saying Los Santos is Los Angeles, but if you guys would allow me to draw on my experience for a sec: Los Angeles is a city that loves its cars. It's the first major city in the entire world to be designed entirely around the modern automobile. Cars are a really big deal in Los Angeles, moreso than just about anywhere else in the world. Los Angeles is synonymous with traffic, it has some of the highest congestion on earth. 

There are a LOT of cars in Los Angeles. There are a lot of really expensive cars in Los Angeles. If you drive around the neighborhoods which in-game are represented by West Vinewood, Richman, Rockford, and even Morningwood, you'll see a lot of mind-blowing exotic cars. All across the city, you'll see classics. You'll see muscle cars. You'll see lowriders.  You'll see lots and lots of riced out shitboxes. 

Yes, in game we have a higher proportion of "exciting" cars to "normal" cars, but that's just because we are roleplaying 500 interesting people versus 20,000,000+ assorted people. I will say that the feeling to me in game is pretty much the same as it would be in real life. Yes, there are more whacky cars, but in real life you can cruise down the street and see 300 cars, but the two exciting cars are the ones you'll remember. You'll remember the dude's ugly neon blue 80's shitbox on 20-inch rims. You'll remember the fucking McLaren you rolled past. You notice those. 

All that matters is character. I don't care what a character drives so long as that player has a decent idea of why their character has that car. Why their character made the choices to purchase and/or modify it in that way. If the player is confident in their decision for their character, then super. If the player is just driving it entirely because it's the fastest car they can get their hands on, then oh well. Big deal.

I'd say the only cars I get annoyed seeing are when the <40 hour Davis pseudo-gangbanger stick-up-artist characters drive around in liveried rice cars like it's GTA:Online. The amount of times I've seen generic RobberGuy  characters in some camouflage livery, or some riced up pussy wagon with techno racing stripes. That's the one time I'm super judgmental. 

13 hours ago, Tempesto said:

That's the point. Limited freedom is not freedom. That's one of the best things about the car market - everyone is able to put their own splash of color on their car, especially considering how much time you spend around and in it. That happens in real life too - just yesterday, old dude with a fully tunned Mercedes van (the transport one), neons and all, full of Manchester United stickets. Ugly? Yes. But that's his business, not mine.

I also think the problem is not the cars, not the people but the places the people complaining are spending their time at. I've never been disturbed by such thing. Some cars stand out more, yes, but that's how freedom works.

After all, anything can ruin an 'atmosphere'. It all depends on your definition of the word. If I'm roleplaying some dude doing woodworking in front of their house and a group of bikers drive by, they've ruined my atmosphere. If someone robs me, same. We can't just forbid everything that offends us.

What's your suggestion to fix this issue? Administrative punishments for people who don't tune their vehicles in a way to please everyone's eyes? I'm honestly curious.

Too much freedom can be a pain in the stomach for anyone who's well aware of the issue. 

You could say that a shit-eating contest is a concern and disgusting, but it's not like you can't turn around and ignore it, right? Well, in this case, this is pretty much a shit-eating contest, except that you either don't mind constantly looking at it, or you do mind. 

Some people here seem to be like, "Haha, are you guys seriously complaining about this? I don't care. In fact, I have a stickerbombed Asea and I don't care what you think!" but it is an issue. Maybe it's a small issue in the server, but to some, it's a big one. As aforementioned, it ruins the immersion. You want to have a serious environment around, but there's some guy with a hyper obnoxious blue-yellow Comet rolling around, or a Dukes purely in fuchsia parked in your neighborhood.

Some might say, "Take it IC!" or "Are you guys bored?" but this is a relevant discussion in General Discussion. If not, let's just remove every single topic because we cannot discuss whether this is good or bad. To me, it's bad. It's awful, in fact. The sight of about fifty cars parked in a club, with 50 different neons, rainbow colours, jarring wheels, etc. is just a huge turn off for me to try and do something around that environment.

Being a car guy is also a huge joke in this server. Everyone is or can be a 'car guy' in this server with their massively modified vehicles.

How can you fix this issue? It's tough. In fact, I don't think there's a viable way to do this. You either wipe off customization and restart it that way, remove customization altogether, or start reinforcing IC law enforcement ruling against neon vehicles, or something oddly specific that targets the massively obnoxious car culture. "Turning your car into a rainbow of fucking shit is not allowed," can't be possible. It's ridiculous.

People are already categorizing certain car models to be 'mall rat' cars, but literally every single one that's heavily modified is a mall rat vehicle. You can't just defend any of them, because all of them fall under the same bucket.

LS:RP was also in the wrong in regards to customization, because, in all honesty, the staff didn't give a fuck about the car culture and anyone could just roll with a very modified car, and say "I'm a car guy, haha." The same happens over here. There's way too much freedom about it, and sadly, it's one of those issues that is permanently installed in the server. You can't get it out. The people's mentality is also a problem about this, because a great percentage will just tell me, "But I love my sticker-bombed Asea! Or my obnoxiously looking Comet! Or my Itasha car! Or my three billion dollar car with neon lights!" 

4 minutes ago, Midnight Tick said:

You want to have a serious environment around, but there's some guy with a hyper obnoxious blue-yellow Comet rolling around, or a Dukes purely in fuchsia parked in your neighborhood.

Iunno man, I really think it's not that bad. I've put like 2200 hours on this server and I've not really ever felt like the amount of obnoxious cars is so far out of whack. Like, yeah, there are ugly cars some people drive. Just like in real life.

it's bad. It's awful, in fact. The sight of about fifty cars parked in a club, with 50 different neons, rainbow colours, jarring wheels, etc. is just a huge turn off for me to try and do something around that environment.

It's possible we've had different experiences, but whenever I drive past a busy club the variety of cars tends to be pretty normal. Lots of white and black sedans and SUVs, some more colorful cars, a few sports cars and exotics, some motorcycles. It tends to be a pretty average blend of vehicles, and yeah some of them stand out more than others but as a whole it's really not that bad.

Being a car guy is also a huge joke in this server. Everyone is or can be a 'car guy' in this server with their massively modified vehicles.

While it's true almost everyone has heavily modified cars on this server, I disagree with what you're saying about how being a car enthusiast on this server is a joke. There are some people who roleplay excellent depictions of car enthusiasts, and have a lot of fun developing that character and playing off of the community. A car guy can be entertaining to play here because of how much variety there is in the car scene. Your character can be really disgusted by the shit he sees, too.

start reinforcing IC law enforcement ruling against neon vehicles,

I actually would be down with this. Neons should not be street legal. 

4 hours ago, Midnight Tick said:

There's a huge difference between someone who enjoys cars and someone who can actually work on them. A majority of people IRL fall into the first category yet on the server literally every other person is a top tier mechanic. And before anyone in the servers car community gets salty with me for that statement, just know I see a difference between those of you actually RPing being street racing nerds and those who are just using it as an excuse for assets.

Lets be real, most of these players are only mechanics for the easy money and quick grind to the assets they want. It's positive trait stacking to the core, another character trait that has tons of benefits with no downside. It's no surprise I've dealt with more then one mechanic who's character is literally "gorgeous ex female navy seal MMA pro with a strong passion for motor vehicles".

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, JustAnM43 said:

You can have two years worth of development and drive a somewhat decent car and you're still gonna get called a mallrat. Apparently on this server you only gotta drive junkers and shitboxes to make people think otherwise. It's hilarious.

You say “somewhat decent” but I promise if I saw your car in game it’ll be a sports car that goes 120 MPH, not just a somewhat decent car 

4 hours ago, Ink said:

While it's true almost everyone has heavily modified cars on this server, I disagree with what you're saying about how being a car enthusiast on this server is a joke. There are some people who roleplay excellent depictions of car enthusiasts, and have a lot of fun developing that character and playing off of the community. A car guy can be entertaining to play here because of how much variety there is in the car scene. Your character can be really disgusted by the shit he sees, too.

I'm definitely sure there are. However, being a car enthusiast is just a joke in general because everyone can poop a cool looking car with literally two drives to different spots to make them look cool. There's literally nothing special about it either. Yeah, sure, you can be a mechanic and what-the-fuck-else, but honestly, if you're a car enthusiast, you'll be put in the same basket as every other guy who has their cool looking car. Many people already think that heavily modified, or just modified vehicles are a joke.

A motorcycle enthusiast has the opportunity to be one, or also branch out into hanging around with other motorcycle clubs or even join one. Not many in the server will go through that. However, for a car enthusiast, that's different whole world because every single soul in the server can touch up and fancy up their vehicles and call it a day. Itasha, sticker-bombing, and whatever else there is in the server that has to offer. I mean, people are fed with this idea that everything will be Fast and Furious, and fucking lean over their cars and look fucking cool and badass, while bumping it up to Ludacris - Too Fast Too Furious.

Let me bring a little example, I ran into this issue back in LS:RP when I ran my lowrider car clubs. Everyone would want to join because having a lowrider is extremely easy, and whenever you would host a little car event, it'd get completely ruined because of some stupid fucking idiots in their tuned up Jesters/Elegys while doing a burn-out every time, or just some lowrider having its hydraulics spammed all over the place.

It happens here and it happens there, and sadly, it'll never go the way as it should be, because too much freedom creates an environment or mentality in people that they think they're very cool with their special looking car, but all they are is a bunch of idiots wanting to feel special about themselves.

Personally, I think PD fines against car modifications would be a good idea, but in the long run, it won't change much. Mainly because people are just like half of the Americans with the COVID pandemic. They don't like to get told what to do. If you were to push for such a change to make them illegal, at that point, the PD should just shutdown the autoshops and call it a day. 

When I joined the server, I actually wanted to be a car reviewer, creating reviews about certain vehicles, especially about the car mods that would be added into the game, create lore behind each model or brand, and see how things would go, but at this point, I'm just so turned off from that idea because of the environment. Hell, creating lore behind a model and saying that the price would rise or go low because of something would have been a cool way to balance the economy between cars too. But whatever.