Public Safety Dispatch (911 / Law Enforcement)

ThomasNoman

Public Safety Dispatch

So, a couple of hours ago, I saw a thread named "San Andreas Communications Division", but then was hidden for some reasons. Jokes apart, I do think that it would be a great idea to create a separated department or at least, divisions in each first responder's factions that handle 911 calls, and dispatching units to calls. Since this would both need additional scripts, and a faction creation, and also that it will impact a lot of departments, I'm writing this as a discussion thread.

Below will be my idea and suggestion to an implementation of a Public Safety Dispatch Department.

🖥️ Duties of An Active Dispatcher

• Handling 911 calls for service

• Handling requests for service (Plate check, Backup Request)

• Utilizing Tactical Channels (TS)

• Appropriately attaching and dispatching units to each calls.

• Communicating and Coordinating between each departments (LSPD, LSSD, LSFD, LSDC)

⚙️Dispatch Operations

• To join Dispatch, the player must OOCly be able to type at least 65 WPM to prevent any delays in operations

• Active dispatchers need to be in-game and sit together to coordinate. (In their office, of course)

• A maximum of 5 dispatchers are allowed to be on-duty at the same time:

- Primary Law Enforcement Dispatch

Verbal communications and coordination between each department.

- Secondary Law Enforcement Dispatch

Assist Primary Dispatcher with any orders given such as attaching units to call, handling CAD, ETC

- Fire Department Dispatch

Primarily dispatch the Fire Department.

- 911 Operator #1

- 911 Operator #2

Both handles with 911 calls (or non emergency).

Primary Law Enforcement Dispatch is the main role. If there's no one on-duty, the first dispatch going on-duty will have no choice but to be primary law enforcement dispatch then the priority follows: 911 Operator #1, Fire Dispatch, Secondary Law Enforcement Dispatch, 911 Operator #2. 

In the even that there's only one dispatch on, they will take all the jobs, including taking 911s. (But remember they can still dispatch units while on line)

• Using of Voice (Teamspeak)

- Law Enforcement Officers will have to say "10-80" (or otherwise that has the meaning of Vehicle Pursuit), and then the dispatch would assign a tactical channel and appropriately attach backups to the pursuit.

📑 ADDITIONS & CHANGES (Procedures-wise)

ADDITIONS

- Self Attach Policy — Policies for when there's an active dispatcher or not for Law Enforcement Units to attach themselves to each calls without being dispatched by an active dispatcher. Example : K9 Units and Supervisors may self-attach to any active vehicle pursuits, patrol officers may not self-attach to any calls unless the situation is deemed to be imminent to life dangers.

CHANGES

- All law enforcement officers from LSPD or LSSD, will have to be in the same radio frequency (As well as in LFM TS)

- Both law enforcement factions will HAVE TO use the same radio codes. (10-codes, CODE 0 - 6)

🔗SCRIPTS ADDITIONS

Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD)

Features

• Available in Web Browser or integrated in-game

• All existing Mobile Data Terminals of PD, SD or FD will have to be connected to the Computer Aided Dispatch.

• Ability to create individual calls to the system with descriptions, locations section, ETC.

• Ability to attach/detach law enforcement and fire to each calls.

• Ability to change status of each units (10-8, 10-97, 10-6, 10-7)

• Signals and Ringtones section such as, 10-3 (stop transmitting) and SIGNAL 100 (Hold all but emergency traffic).

• Ability to place in BOLOs (Be on to look outs)

• Plate and Name Lookup

• Fire tones for paging for FD dispatch

Player Map

Features:

• Exclusively restricted to on-duty dispatchers

• Web Browser or Integrated in-game

• Show active Law Enforcement's and Fire Department's vehicles locations

Revamped 911 System

Features:

• When there's an active dispatcher, non emergency and emergency hotlines will connect to dispatchers. Any on-duty dispatchers can take the calls. Then after some coordination between dispatchers, they can manually dispatch a unit to the call.

• Ability to talk with dispatch like when talking to another person on phone.

• However, in slow hours, if there's no dispatchers, old system is reverted. (talking to AIs)

• Possible Radio System Revamp

Might not be necessary because I think the current one would work.

📞 EXAMPLES

Law Enforcement Dispatch

Advising Status

Police: 21-TOM-3 to Dispatch, show me on a 10-11 on a black in color Sultan RS, Alta Street, Pillbox Hill. No 32s.

Dispatch: 10-4, copy that. Showing you on a traffic stop.

Requesting Plate Check

Police: 4-DAVID-3, to Dispatch, requesting a 10-28, on 5-8-7-TANGO-BRAVO-ALPHA

Dispatch: Affirm, stand by for your request... *looks up*

Dispatch: Dispatch calling, 4-DAVID-3, are you ready for your readback?

Police: Go ahead.

Dispatch: 5-8-7-TANGO-BRAVO-ALPHA comes back to a white in color Vapid Victor. Registered owner, John doe — valid insurance and registration.

Police: 10-4, thank you.

Fire Dispatch

FIRE PAGE

*PLAYS PAGING TONE*

Dispatch: Attention, Volunteer Fire, Attention any Volunteer Fire — this your call. A possibly house fire in 2103 Bridge Street, Mirror Park. Multiple LEO units on scene.

FD: Affirm, 3R-35, our truck will be en-route.

911 Operators

Dispatch: 911, what's the address of your emergency?

Caller: Uh..., Palomino Avenue, Vespucci... help.

Dispatch: What happened over there?
Caller: I just got robbed at gun point, help!

Dispatch: How long ago did this happen?

Caller: Just 5 minutes...

Dispatch: How many suspects were involved and what kind of weapon did they have?

Caller: Uh... 2, and pistol...

Dispatch: Can you describe the suspect? What color of their shirts?

Caller: Uh... black shirts.. I don't know.

Dispatch: Where did they last go, what direction?

Caller: Towards the city.

Dispatch: Okay, what did they get from you?

Caller: My... wallet and gold necklace.

Dispatch: Are you injured?

Caller: Not really...

Dispatch: Okay, we'll have an officer going to your location. Stay on the line, okay?

WHOLE SCENARIO AND OPERATIONS EXAMPLE

911 CALL | FIGHT IN PROGRESS

Operator: 911, what's the address of the emergency?

Caller: Uh, Grove Street — Davis...

Operator: What is going on over there?

Caller: I just stopped by at the LTD, and I saw a bunch of people fighting...

Operator: Okay, are they physically or verbally fighting?

Caller: They're punching each others.

*At the mean time the 911 operator takes note in their CAD to create a call*

Operator: Any guns or knives involved?

Caller: I don't know... maybe not yet.

** The 911 operator talks with LEO dispatch while still on line with the caller **

(Radio) LEO Dispatch: Dispatch calling unit 3B-54, and 3-T-36, stand by for calls.

(Radio) LEO Dispatch: 3B-54, 3-T-36, New call assignment, at Grove Street, Davis for a fighting in progress. Unknown weapons involved.

(Radio) 3B-54 & 3-T-36: Copy, we'll be 10-97.

** Call is created — 3B-54 and 3-T-36 are attached to the calls in the CAD. The LEOs can see details that the 911 operator typed in during the call **

Operator: Any injuries?

Caller: Yeah... one guy is knocked down.

Operator: Okay, are they all still on scene over there?

Caller; They are still fighting... send help fast!

Operator: Okay, stay in the safe area, an officer is going to your location now. 

— CALL ENDS —

** LEO Dispatch acknowledges the details in the call that 911 operator has put, so he tells the FD dispatch to assign an FD unit to the call. **

(Radio) FD Dispatch: Attention all Fire units, we've got a fighting in progress with injuries at Grove Street, Davis. Officers are en-route. Requiring EMS staging.

(Radio) FD Unit: Affirm, 5R-23 be en-route, staging before Grove Street, Davis.

** 5R-23 (FD) is attached to the calls in the CAD. The unit can see details that the 911 operator typed in during the call **

(RADIO) 3B-54: BRAVO-54, show me 10-23.

(RADIO) 3-T-36: 36, same traffic.

** LEO Dispatch Acknowledges the LEOs' calls and change their statuses in the CAD that they're on scene. **

(RADIO) 3B-54: 3B-54 to dispatch, we're CODE 4, 4 subjects 10-15, 1 is requiring medical assistance for broken legs, get fire over here.

(RADIO) LEO Dispatch: 10-4, copy that.

** LEO Dispatch acknowledges the LEO's' calls, so he tells the FD dispatch to give clearance to the staging unit. **

(Radio) FD Dispatch: Dispatch calling 5R-23, scene on Grove street is secured with two officers on scene, you're clear to move in. One with broken leg, no further 10-43.

(Radio) FD Unit: Copy that.

** The FD takes care of the person and was cleared so they left the scene. **

(Radio) FD Unit: The person's clear, we'll be en-route back to headquarter.

(Radio) FD Dispatch: Affirm.

** The FD Dispatch detach the FD unit from the call and set their status to available **

(RADIO) 3-T-36: 3-TOM-36 to Dispatch, we're 10-15 with 4 subjects in custody, we're gonna need a transport unit over here.

(RADIO) LEO Dispatch: Affirm we'll get a unit over here.

(RADIO) LEO Dispatch: Dispatch calling 5B-23, we've got a call on 4 subjects awaiting transport at Grove. Think you can respond to that?

(RADIO) 5B-23: 23, Affirm, I'll be en-route.

** The LEO Dispatch sets the status of the call to CODE 4 (Clear) then attaches the transport unit (5B-23)**

** All units cleared from the scene and suspect were successfully transported. **

(RADIO) 5B-23: 23, dispatch, 4 subjects in custody, heading back to Davis Station.

(RADIO) LEO Dispatch; 10-4, showing you 10-15.

(RADIO) 3B-54: BRAVO-54 and TANGO-36 are going to be back 10-8

(RADIO) LEO Dispatch: 10-4, back to patrol.

** The LEO Dispatch archives the calls, and set all units back to 10-8 **

What do you think?

What do you think about adding Dispatch and 911 Operators to the server? Do you think it will delay things or not? Or do you have a comment to my suggestion. Or even if you have your own idea, feel free to discuss!

Edited by ThomasNoman
  • Upvote 1

I personally have mixed feelings about this. I am not currently involved with LEO RP, but I'll give my opinion.

I think it'd be hard to keep switching from an automatic to a human dispatch - you would still need the automatic one since, at the end of the day, a dispatcher is not going to be on-duty 24/7. People would probably end up not being too excited having to make the interactions longer, especially since it'd be a routine thing and the amount of time added would be considerable - imagine calling 911 in 10 seconds compared to 2 minutes. It is more realistic, but the difference is still significant.

On the other hand, it'd be good for realism, it would add some really cool complexity to the system and it would make everything a lot more seamless, circular and integrated.

The problem is that you can't really have a live dispatch system in-game. You'd need a live map of the patrol units in order to be able to know which unit to dispatch to which situation. You can probably do it with an Excel, but this way you'd end up only knowing whether a unit is available or not, not their locations, and dispatch a unit from Paleto to an altercation in Rancho, while there's an available unit in Rancho.

If you are to analyze the risks versus the rewards, I personally don't know if it's worth it but hey, I'm not directly involved and this is not an informed opinion, nor facts, so do with it as you please!

But can't you guys just ask over the radio for someone else to check a plate? Or to get backup?

2 minutes ago, Tempesto said:

I personally have mixed feelings about this. I am not currently involved with LEO RP, but I'll give my opinion.

I think it'd be hard to keep switching from an automatic to a human dispatch - you would still need the automatic one since, at the end of the day, a dispatcher is not going to be on-duty 24/7. People would probably end up not being too excited having to make the interactions longer, especially since it'd be a routine thing and the amount of time added would be considerable - imagine calling 911 in 10 seconds compared to 2 minutes. It is more realistic, but the difference is still significant.

On the other hand, it'd be good for realism, it would add some really cool complexity to the system and it would make everything a lot more seamless, circular and integrated.

The problem is that you can't really have a live dispatch system in-game. You'd need a live map of the patrol units in order to be able to know which unit to dispatch to which situation. You can probably do it with an Excel, but this way you'd end up only knowing whether a unit is available or not, not their locations, and dispatch a unit from Paleto to an altercation in Rancho, while there's an available unit in Rancho.

If you are to analyze the risks versus the rewards, I personally don't know if it's worth it but hey, I'm not directly involved and this is not an informed opinion, nor facts, so do with it as you please!

But can't you guys just ask over the radio for someone else to check a plate? Or to get backup?

Thanks for your comment.

But just so you know, I suggested "Player Map" which will show the locations of PD, SD and FD vehicles (with License Plate) (RPly as tracker on Government Vehicles). And as well as the new CAD would show 10-8 units.

Edited by ThomasNoman

Was suggested, was denied. Each faction here operates differentley, each faction has it's own radio etiquette and different ways of sending specific units to specific situations. An outsider dispatcher wouldn't know how-to and it'd be way too much to learn. It's just not going to work.