Bring back -.. as a shortcut for the em dash (—)

sevo

2 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Heard it was mainly added as a semi-joke so it wouldn't surprise me if it was removed, honestly though? 

Keep it gone, either use -- or the key combo, seems weird people wanna enforce using proper grammar by using improper grammar as a shortcut, seems contradicting and kinda ironic considering the whole community clowned on the idea of -.. but now wants to use it themselves, even if it's a shortcut. 

Because I can't do it another way how else would I create the em dash, dont have a numpad. U suggesting I copy paste from the internet every time I want to use — ? Also -- looks ass so no.

support

6 minutes ago, Pathway said:

Because I can't do it another way how else would I create the em dash, dont have a numpad. U suggesting I copy paste from the internet every time I want to use — ? Also -- looks ass so no.

support

Use your function key, also read my second reply next time. 

I'm okay with a shortcut for the em-dash, I'm not okay with a shortcut that forces me to type and punctuate my RP differently based on a system that doesn't understand context.

If you want to end a sentence with emphasis like "-this-" the system that was in place would change "-." to "—" which forced people to write emphasis as /this/ (which you couldn't start sentences with because of the /) or *this* instead.

Once again, a shortcut isn't the problem, the problem is shortcuts not understanding context and forcing me and others to change the entire way we structure sentences and RP because people are too shortsighted and only really care about themselves. 

If it's added again have it set to three dashes (---) and three dashes only, that way people who don't want the symbol don't have to use it and it's still the same character count as "-.." so you're not typing more than you have to. 

11 hours ago, QuadTurboW16 said:

I've never used -. other than to produce the em dash. I'm not a fan of double dash and I don't have a number pad to do the alt + 1051 combination. So I'm supporting this, we need it back.

That (update 1.9.8d) was only meant to remove it for -this-. because some people use -this- for emphasis instead of /this/.

The -.. to change was approved by management when it was first implemented and should be here to stay. It was removed in the latest update due to a misunderstanding and will be added back next update.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1