Bring back -.. as a shortcut for the em dash (—)

sevo

Heard it was mainly added as a semi-joke so it wouldn't surprise me if it was removed, honestly though? 

Keep it gone, either use -- or the key combo, seems weird people wanna enforce using proper grammar by using improper grammar as a shortcut, seems contradicting and kinda ironic considering the whole community clowned on the idea of -.. but now wants to use it themselves, even if it's a shortcut. 

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
2 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Heard it was mainly added as a semi-joke so it wouldn't surprise me if it was removed, honestly though? 

Keep it gone, either use -- or the key combo, seems weird people wanna enforce using proper grammar by using improper grammar as a shortcut, seems contradicting and kinda ironic considering the whole community clowned on the idea of -.. but now wants to use it themselves, even if it's a shortcut. 

I would never use it with the intention of producing '-..' in chat but since learning that it was an easy shortcut for the em dash, I started to use it. I know many many others who started to do the same. It only makes sense to keep it in now. Removing it at this stage could be compared with removing L as the hotkey for locking doors and vehicles - it doesn't quite make sense to remove the shortcut.

Update 1.9.8d

• Removed -. from being converted to an em dash so that players can use hyphens for emphasis

I've never used -. other than to produce the em dash. I'm not a fan of double dash and I don't have a number pad to do the alt + 1051 combination. So I'm supporting this, we need it back.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

I would never use it with the intention of producing '-..' in chat but since learning that it was an easy shortcut for the em dash, I started to use it. I know many many others who started to do the same. It only makes sense to keep it in now. Removing it at this stage could be compared with removing L as the hotkey for locking doors and vehicles - it doesn't quite make sense to remove the shortcut.

I personally wanted to see it removed because I don't like the script dictating how I should type, when this was last brought up I mentioned how the system prevented the use of -emphasis- at the end of a sentence (which is perfectly fine in creative writing) and it forced me and a couple friends to change how we typed for what, a meme? A meme that started from player's inability to confront someone on their grammar and instead mock people for it indirectly? 

17 minutes ago, Woona said:

I just say why not make -- a shortcut for it. If people wanna use ..-/-.. let them.

To lump this in here too I wouldn't mind another shortcut (---?) but please for the love of god don't remove "--" for an em-dash symbol, I've seen em-dashes represented in way more forms of media as "--" over the actual symbol and personally I feel "--" has a better printed look to it, also looks better IG.

I don't mind the OPTION, just remember the auto-correct -.. fucked over a lot of people's writing and style as a joke, sure it might be slightly easier for you but it's borderline selfish in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
Just now, BINGBONGGHOST said:

I personally wanted to see it removed because I don't like the script dictating how I should type, when this was last brought up I mentioned how the system prevented the use of -emphasis- at the end of a sentence (which is perfectly fine in creative writing) and it forced me and a couple friends to change how we typed for what, a meme? A meme that started from player's inability to confront someone on their grammar and instead mock people for it indirectly? 

To lump this in here too I wouldn't mind another shortcut (---?) but please for the love of god don't remove "--" for an em-dash symbol, I've seen em-dashes represented in way more forms of media as "--" over the actual symbol and personally I feel "--" has a better printed look to it, also looks better IG.

I don't mind the OPTION, just remember the auto-correct -.. fucked over a lot of people's writing and style as a joke.

Fair enough, I mean at this point though it just seems excessive to perhaps have a toggle for it. Maybe it would be for the best to leave as is.