Official Status

Sinister

1 hour ago, UTOPIA said:

What this does is create a higher standard and incentive for faction leaders to get their shit together, as for those worried about supplier being restricted to 'official' factions, I don't think you would have anything to worry about. Faction leaders and members alike should take this as a challenge to be the best they can be; I see people discussing elitism, but on that same tune, I do not believe those people understand what opportunities arise for factions that strive to create and facilitate roleplay for others.

4 hours ago, Pathway said:

LSRP's official system was literally just admin facs becoming official, we don't need that here.

So because admins from one community abused a system, that system should never be used again?

4 hours ago, Dano said:

It incentivizes good role-play which should be a good enough reason in itself. It creates longevity for factions going forward.

It doesn't have to be related to LSRP's system, it can be changed in major ways. There needs to be a way to decipher history in factions, which factions are providing better role-play and realism, etc. This isn't LSRP, the system was flawed because the server/community was flawed. We're working with a new community, economy, and game.

This might be the best point in the thread. 
This is not LSRP, don't treat it like it is. We have the ability to create our own community, don't be one of those "remember when" people for past failures. Look forward.

• Upvote 1

I personally think this is a great idea. People used to regulate their own and perform @ 100% just to reach official status. It was just the ultimate unreachable goal lol & those factions who did reach it usually were around for years after. If you can create an incentive that is harmless & promotes / influences good rp, why not?

Edited by Captain
8 hours ago, Sinatra said:

When it comes to rewarding the hand that's been around for months working hard to better the server and the hand that has done nothing to earn it, I'll choose the deserving hand every time.  There is no reason a brand new faction with a supplier role should have equal leverage over a faction that's been around for over a year. It is simply a slap in the face to hard work and commitment. 

Providing stellar roleplay is rewarding on its own. The problem with the system you're referring to is how biased it can be and how much drama it can cause. There have been factions that shouldn't have become official in that one community you're referring to, and at the same time there are factions that didn't become official for a long while even though they should've gotten it right off the bat.

The problem is, again — and I guess I'm repeating myself — is that the system instills, promotes and endorses elitism, instead of being blunt and honest in granting people the tools to roleplay.

I mean I guess we could introduce community awards but hey, as much as it pains me to say this, they'd eventually turn from being actual awards for outstanding roleplay into the most basic form of circlejerk. That's why I'd also be against any reddit-like karma system on the forums, etc.

Now to the second part of your point, I kinda get where you're coming from. If a certain OC has established control over the market (to simplify it with a media example that by no means serves as hard IRL evidence, think of the Greeks in the Wire), it should be part of the lore.

But let me just say here, that the current system is designed to be compatible with the lore. It's designed to let factions mold themselves into the lore of the game.

What I'm referring to here is the traditional "take it IC" mindset that GTA RP communities have. While I totally agree with the sentiment, it seems to rule out the narrative leading up to the point you begin roleplaying. Think of it this way, do you think it's okay to create a character that's been mildly known in the neighborhood for a while to join a gang, or do you think you have to roleplay popping up out of nowhere and suddenly being involved?

There could be arguments made on both sides. I frankly think one shouldn't rule out the other, as if we had to take it IC as an RPG progression through the storyline, we'd all have to start with "fresh off the boat" characters in a heightened setting spearheaded by that principle.

Ultimately, I think it depends on the product that you're a supplier for. I wouldn't presume to know illegal factions here — if anything, I love not knowing any single one besides having a natural guess that El Burro has a hispanic gang and K-town has a few Korean groups, and even a Chinese one. I enjoy not knowing my way around the faction boards and I never visit them — I just don't want to know something my character would have no clue about.

Getting carried away here, sorry — my point is that I don't know which factions have supplier roles and how supplier roles even work on the inside. I can only assume that you're given an ability to spawn drugs or guns.

If you're saying that anyone with a supplier role can just spawn things out of thin air, I'd agree that the system might need some form of rework. Same thing goes for generalizing supplier roles as "guns" or "drugs" only. I don't quite think it works that way IRL. If you have a connect for coke, you have a connect for coke. You won't spawn LSD or PCP out of nowhere. So I reckon someone with experience and relevant amount of research should grade those drugs and give people — factions — a chance to choose which drug(s) their connect would be able to supply them with.

That is, if the system doesn't work this way already. But again, my ultimate point is, even if the supplier system is flawed as you say it is, I think we need to work on ways to fix it in the existing model rather than invent a new model. That said, I'm not totally not against any different new models, I just don't think going back to that old one would be practical and beneficial to the server, /at all/.

Fast forward to the drama this idea causes on these forums.

“Why isn’t my faction official? Why is X faction official? they’re terrible RPers, followed by accusations of admin biasness.”

This idea just seems to give no real benefit and seems a landmine for future forum drama.

If you want to know who the good Illegal factions are, go RP with them for 10 minutes, you’ll soon notice the difference.

10 hours ago, Sinister said:

one that has been around this community for over a decade long.

Thing is, back ten years ago "being official" , specifically in samp communities, meant to get access to the gun and drug warehouse.

Maybe an HQ property.

And the right to maintain hitmen by rules on"stricter" servers.

Now if I take a simple look at all the options gtaw offers to apply for that might support my (legal or illegal) roleplay in various ways, I couldn't define what an "official" faction would deserve on script support even or profit from most.

Drug and gun access, sure, but beyond that? A nightclub? A mansion for the boss? A backstreet massage parlor? A soccer field?  Access to /createitem to sell counterfeited fashion brands overpriced?

Keep in mind how both the game as well as players maintaining factions over time developed- I might be wrong of course after just observing this for some four weeks, but in my impression, also owing to the game design, factions seem far more diverse here (even if it's settings we all know well, lol) due to the simple fact the script offers more connection points than to simply aim to get a cocaine-warehouse granted ooc.

Infront of this background I think that applying an "Official" or whatever status on factions is just not necessary nor benefitial for this server- factions or groups that fail to uphold standards can be cracked down upon quite fine in case, and on the other hand every possible support one could want is open for application for anyone (meeting the requirements) for all I found out so far.

2 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Fast forward to the drama this idea causes on these forums.

“Why isn’t my faction official? Why is X faction official? they’re terrible RPers, followed by accusations of admin biasness.”

This idea just seems to give no real benefit and seems a landmine for future forum drama.

If you want to know who the good Illegal factions are, go RP with them for 10 minutes, you’ll soon notice the difference.

That same logic can be applied to the current supplier system so I don't grasp the point here.

"Why does X faction have a supplier granted in their ranks? They're terrible RPers, followed by accusations of admin biasness."

Edited by Gall
  • Bospy locked this topic