Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

3 hours ago, Tempesto said:

And no, just because you don't like the RP or don't enjoy it, that doesn't give you the right to skip it, be inactive or make it less interesting for the other person. [...] If I don't get anything, the other shouldn't either.

I'm not going to humor asinine entitlement because the other player finds it uninteresting that I'm not cowering in fear enough. Such a flagrant disregard for the enjoyment of the other person you're playing with is - in my view - the root of the problem the server has with robberies.

2 hours ago, Tempesto said:

[...] that doesn't meant we shouldn't properly roleplay it. We're going to be there anyway, we might as well fully RP it and make it part of our character's story?

How many robberies must a person endure before buying a gun and formulating a plan to fight back? You honestly expect the server to roll with it and accept the fact that they're stuck in a city where they suffer robbery attempts weekly?

All of this distracts from the fact that there is no risk with regards to robbery except losing a single weapon. Until the risks of committing a robbery increase to the point that the roleplay is the primary draw rather than the script benefits, we will continue to see metagaming and poor form from the vast majority of robbers.

6 hours ago, Tempesto said:

You can't judge people who do robberies for wanting assets, that's literally the purpose of the activity.

Honestly, that much is fine. If there is a desire for assets, that much I am willing to accommodate. As mentioned before, I even indulge in having both the money and the phone ready the moment an impending mugging is even suspected.

...except that such preparation has on numerous occasions been for naught, as muggers seem convinced that my only involvement in the scene should be /showitems and to surrender everything in a five second timeframe because they chose to initiate the encounter two blocks from the police station.

It is becoming obvious that the incentives for making the encounter a roleplay scene instead of a scripted wealth gain, are not working. Despite numerous offers, despite personal assurance that an asked sum will be provided in exchange for being able to participate in the scene, instead the encounter becomes the muggers telling me that they will CK me if I do not summarize the experience for them.

This is something that must either become taboo in the criminal community with significant repercussions, or made balanced in such a way that those who engage in high-risk, high-speed muggings, are actually faced with genuine risk in doing so. That is, they should be faced with just as much risk of a CK as their victim.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:14 AM, eTaylor said:

This, I think the focus could also be shifted because it’s easy to identify a good robbery from a bad one. If someone pulls up with a 3 word /me out of nowhere you know it’s going to be trash. You can instantly see when a robbery was planned, and when the participants are looking to roleplay with you for more than it takes to just get assets. Make cheap robberies reportable and punishable. Much like how you need to justify the killing when you kill someone, we could have a rule where the victim can ask the robber why they’re being robbed. And that answer could be used to hold people to a standard. It helps differentiate the bad from the good, and directly target the bad. It works for deathmatching so perhaps it could work for robberies too.

10) Robbing and Scamming

It is only permitted to rob another player for a maximum of $5,000. It is only permitted to scam another player for a maximum of $75,000. It is not allowed to scam properties. These include and are limited to vehicles and real estate. There are no limitations on drug and weapon scams, or on loans (a namechange / CK during an active loan will lead to your money being removed and given back to the loan contract owner). This applies to both scamming a player for a drugs or weapons and for scamming a player for money off a drug or weapon scam.

Before performing a business robbery (entering a nightclub to rob everyone) you must notify the administration team with a /report and wait for their acknowledgment, as we do not want these to happen on a regular basis and it must be very well roleplayed.

Ramming players just to rob them is considered non roleplay, as It is not realistic.

When selling a house which is linked to a garage, you must also sell the garage to the house's buyer.

Chaining robberies on your character unless perfectly roleplayed will be considered unrealistic and a poor portrayal of a character, so be careful If you choose to go that way.

You may use /breakin to rob any property. Usage of /rent to access the inventory is forbidden and bannable.

While being imprisoned, players may not rob or scam money from other prisoners. Players may on rob or scam items from each other. 

E.G. 

• You rob a player and force them to pay you more money than the maximum of $5,000.
  • You scam a player for their vehicle.

Above you'll find the original rule mentioning 'unless perfectly roleplayed' but there isn't any clarification on what that entails. While it's not practical to outline exactly what "perfect roleplay" means as a rule, there has been consistent complaints regarding the quality and conduct of robbery roleplay in general. I've mentioned before that it’s easy to identify a good robbery from a bad one. If someone pulls up with a 3 word /me out of nowhere you know it’s going to be trash. You can instantly see when a robbery was planned, and when the participants are looking to roleplay with you for more than it takes to just get assets. I'd like to suggest a clarification/addition in order to make cheap robberies reportable and punishable in an effort to curb the bad robberies and offer victims a form of substantial recourse. This should pertain to all robberies, individual or chained.

The text of the rule should mandate that all robberies must be properly roleplayed, that both the perpetrators and the victim must properly express the impact on their character, and that every perpetrator must have a justifiable reason and motivation to do so.  The text should outline globally of what acceptable conduct entails, and whether actions equivalent to "/me runs pockets" and a demand to see everything with no additional roleplay is deemed acceptable. The text should clarify whether the victim is obligated to use /showitems. The text should also detail the official administrative stance on (combat)looting. The main purpose of the rule is to hold other players up to a standard when conducting a robbery.

I'm hoping people in this thread could help me come up with a concise "line" to suggest, essentially the above worded into an enforceable rule.

• Upvote 3
On 12/6/2020 at 10:00 AM, eTaylor said:

I'm hoping people in this thread could help me come up with a concise "line" to suggest, essentially the above worded into an enforceable rule.

A while back I posted a suggestion with regards to more concisely wording the entire ruleset. This is a problem throughout the entire server rule page, not just this one rule in particular.

Didn't get much traction, understandably, but maybe it's time to throw it out there again.

2 hours ago, Smilesville said:

A while back I posted a suggestion with regards to more concisely wording the entire ruleset. This is a problem throughout the entire server rule page, not just this one rule in particular.

Didn't get much traction, understandably, but maybe it's time to throw it out there again.

Because rewording the entire rule set isn’t practical nor is it realistic to expect from the community to significantly contribute to. Suggesting singular rule changes are much more practical and have a much higher chance of being looked at. Since this pertains to a specific problem, and offers a potential solution, it’s easier to suggest concise change to the administrators to review. Whether it gets accepted or denied is their prerogative, but at least as a player you can then say you’ve truly done everything you can. It is then up to the player to accept it for what it is. 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

Since this pertains to a specific problem, and offers a potential solution, it’s easier to suggest concise change to the administrators to review.

Sure, I had that thought too, and was promptly told to post it to the suggestions section. 😂

Granted, this was years ago. No harm trying again, I suppose.

Here we go folks, got a prime example of the cutting edge pinnacle of criminal roleplay this thread is actually about. /s

https://streamable.com/r6grk7

Two throwaway alt characters roll up with no masks and try to rob you for your $6 with a Hammer on a motorbike. What do they do when the cops show up, you might ask? Log off, of course:

Screenshot_1.png.3ed8eaf6b37ec4e0eb78bbaa03e630db.png

If you're a legit criminal roleplayer and robbery happens to be part of your character progression or arc, that's cool and this 1000000 times is not about you. No worries there. In my mind this thread is about doofus moves like the one today.

Edited by Sush
5 minutes ago, Sush said:

Here we go folks, got a prime example of the cutting edge pinnacle of criminal roleplay this thread is actually about. /s

https://streamable.com/r6grk7

Two throwaway alt characters roll up with no masks and try to rob you for your $6 with a Hammer on a motorbike. What do they do when the cops show up, you might ask? Log off, of course:

Screenshot_1.png.3ed8eaf6b37ec4e0eb78bbaa03e630db.png

If you're a legit criminal roleplayer and robbery happens to be part of your character progression or arc, that's cool and this 1000000 times is not about you. No worries there. In my mind this thread is about doofus moves like the one today.

As opposed to the impeccable rp on your end? 

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, TritonXVII said:

As opposed to the impeccable rp on your end? 

Well, you know. If it were in an area that makes sense with characters that make sense with ANY MOTIVE AT ALL. This isn't Day Z RP, it's not all about items. What, do you suppose, was their reason to go on a chain robbing spree in Mirror Park?

Besides, wouldn't you be a little upset at two Ronald McDonald looking dudes riding a motorbike all over your front lawn?

Edited by Sush