Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

29 minutes ago, Wirbelwind said:

The fabled "how did you get the gun?" and that gun allegedly holding no relevance.

The robberies I've been a part of (two) have been absolutely atrocious roleplay. The first one, I went out shooting, and despite injuring literally every party and killing one, their initial response was to loot the bodies, not even bothering to take care of their own injuries or anything of the sorts. One of the robbers had ten switchblades on him, and they rolled up on me on sports bikes. Naturally, the dead guy's gun went back to the dead guy after respawning. 🙄 🙄

No roleplay regarding their severe injuries, just robo-looting and /b showitems despite doing a vague /me pats down.

The second robbery happened in Paleto Bay, by characters from South LS rolling four-deep.

Robbing a Detective (on duty, with a very visible badge) just because they saw me pass an ammu-nation. Naturally, they were very dissatisfied with the lack of weapons. The roleplay was, again, extremely poor. (Especially with them flying off the edge of a cliff just to keep evading so they don't lose their guns.)

I'd definitely like the whole 40 hours minimum for serious felonies like so. It's always some alt with a gun they got from a friend or a gun that's not relevant at all.

Surprises and pains me to see a staff team member, let alone RP quality team member take this stance. Walling roleplay concepts off behind hours count sends the wrong message. Instead of telling people they should roleplay their robberies well and put effort into crafting realistic encounters, you're directing their attention away from creating roleplay that's fun for both sides to just getting their required amount of hours and that's it, you're in the clear.

The current ruleset isn't flawed, it can be strengthened through more open and direct definitions to get people to understand the standards of roleplay in the community. It can be further enforced through admin action the same way looting bodies was addressed.

What's most upsetting though is that you seem to be taking a stance to paint robbers as poor roleplayers based on the two examples of bad roleplayers you have seen. Only leaves me to hope you took action in those two cases. 😕

@Smilesville At the end of the day these are all theories. I can’t agree with you for the same reason you can’t agree with me. Both having different experiences, facts and fundamental subjective beliefs. I for one believe that, considering human psychology and psychology involving game design, the listed results will not be the results we’re going to see. But as I said earlier these are all theories, and since we’ve moved past the hypotheses surrounding the “why” around robberies the only thing left to do is experiment. Due to the nature of the game we’ll never have a complete data set, but without experimentation we’ll never know. As long as it’s an adaptable system that won’t be left unchanged for the next 3 years this could be an improvement, or a detriment. There is no innovation without experimentation.

3 minutes ago, yerro said:

What's most upsetting though is that you seem to be taking a stance to paint robbers as poor roleplayers based on the two examples of bad roleplayers you have seen. Only leaves me to hope you took action in those two cases. 😕

The two experiences I've had were horrible. Those are my experiences here. On other communities, I've had much worse, but I've also had better.

I have not taken action in those two cases. I am directly involved. Ergo, me taking action is conflict of interest and something I (and everyone else, in my opinion!) should strive to avoid. I've seen good, realistic and fun-to-roleplay robberies on here. I just haven't been a part of any. I'll chalk that up to bad luck.

Either way — my opinion is my own! Your mileage may vary (and I hope it does!). Either way, I only carry a phone and miniscule (sub $300) cash on me so I don't care for the losses. They are, as it stands, minimal. The only really good interaction I've had wasn't even a robbery, it was a petty theft done by @eTaylor's character. You can just tell when a player is in it for the roleplay, and this was one of them.

• Applaud 1
Just now, DasFroggy said:

Then why is it a required risk for the victim? A PK would make more sense, no?

To clarify, I disagree with all forced CKs on the server. Even those related to lifetime incarcerations.

I think players' characters is that one thing you don't mess with. It's very likely that if one of my characters just got deleted out of the blue, I'd quit RPing altogether because I'm motivated to roleplay just that character.

I disagree with how fear RP is enforced on the server. I think it streamlines all near-death experiences into a very narrow niche, and roleplaying anything outside that niche can easily get you punished. At the same time, I'm aware as to why that rule is in place — the majority would be inclined towards taking risks.

I guess I would want GTA W to be a community of people that respect each other and work to create great RP together, not walling themselves off into cliques or hiding behind the rules like so many other communities do.

13 minutes ago, yerro said:

To clarify, I disagree with all forced CKs on the server.

As do I. In previous communities, it was treated as a last resort to stifle risk, with punishments existing in other, less severe forms. A character would need to commit to poor judgement regularly, and often times they would sooner be suspended or banned sooner than have their character permanently killed.

Alas, if I lose my character to a CK, I will likely leave the community. There are opportunities for sure, but starting all over because of a mugger being too aggressive...

35 minutes ago, yerro said:

you're directing their attention away from creating roleplay that's fun for both sides

As evident from numerous perspectives here, muggings are too frequently not only the opposite of fun for the victims, but a seemingly deliberate nonfactor in the opinion of certain criminal roleplayers. 

Browse through this thread and see just how many here have claimed that the experience "shouldn't be fun for the victim.

There are people here who genuinely believe that being mugged should be an OOC struggle as much as IC, and that an unrewarding and possibly miserable experience for the roleplayers should be nothing more than part of the process.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

As do I. In previous communities, it was treated as a last resort to stifle risk, with punishments existing in other, less severe forms. A character would need to commit to poor judgement regularly, and often times they would sooner be suspended or banned sooner than have their character permanently killed.

Alas, if I lose my character to a CK, I will likely leave the community. There are opportunities for sure, but starting all over because of a mugger being too aggressive...

I totally understand that, and it's not just about starting over for me. It's that when I create a character, it's more than just their personality or backstory, it's who I see them to be. It's really hard for me to let go of a character like that. I want to put them through the entire journey that the server can offer — whatever their background is and wherever it takes them.

3 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

As evident from numerous perspectives here, muggings are too frequently not only the opposite of fun for the victims, but a seemingly deliberate nonfactor in the opinion of certain criminal roleplayers. 

Browse through this thread and see just how many here have claimed that the experience "shouldn't be fun for the victim.

There are people here who genuinely believe that being mugged should be an OOC struggle as much as IC, and that an unrewarding and possibly miserable experience for the roleplayers should be nothing more than part of the process.

And I get them. I'm not tooting my own horn here — I've never roleplayed a violent crimes character on this server. The closest I've gotten was roleplaying a car thief. I've had two encounters where my character was robbed (well, the second encounter was him more of being jumped, threatened and then released out of pity) and neither were poorly RPed.

I'm not trying to give people like Smilesville or others I've replied to in this thread a hard time. I'm genuinely sorry they've had poor experiences, but in some examples, these very people are displaying the same "I no longer want to lose" attitude that they have an issue with in the first place. Which brings me to my next point that this approach is only going to lead to the deterioration of quality of RP.

I'm also against introducing rules that instill the "play to win, never lose" mindset.

I've talked to a few people about this — some of them admins — and the main issue it all comes down to is people don't report players who rob characters poorly. I understand that no one wants to develop a habit to keep their index finger on F12.

There could be better ways to solve this, like creating trackable commands for robberies specifically that admins would receive alerts for (in and out of the game), because this issue can and should be resolved through reforming players that RP poorly, not playing whack-a-mole by introducing additonal milestones like hour count and so on.

Wanna run someone's pockets? Take the time to RP it then, don't do a half-assed /me pats John Doe down or /me pats John Doe from head to toe then jump in /b asking them to show you their inventory. Search, be specific, because you never know who's carrying what and where they're carrying it. Take the risk of missing out on a wallet in a back pocket to find drugs inside a jacket, or vice versa. Take it as a learning experience for your character so next time you're prepared to pat someone down properly and make the most out of that narrow time window you're supposed to be roleplaying.

And as a reminder: it's not mandatory to /showinventory when someone asks in /b about it. If you wanna find something, take the time to RP searching for it. On the other hand, if someone claims an item is hidden somewhere and they didn't RP hiding it prior to that encounter, go ahead and report them.

• Applaud 2