Robbery Roleplay

ThomasNoman

Just now, Bandolero said:

Us illegal and legal roleplayers will never see eye to eye. It upsets me beyond belief!!!

While it can feel this way sometimes, I must disagree even with that. There are people that go out of their way to make a mugging more than just a get-money-fast interaction. On one occasion I ended up forming an OOC friendship with another player that mugged mine, because they allowed interaction, they planned and set up circumstances where we could actually roleplay. If anything, the priority was the experience rather than the monetary reward.

Metagaming rules prevent it, but if a mugger wanted time, safety, and seclusion to ensure an outcome, I would accommodate that. If they were willing to put an emphasis on both OOC participants having fun, I would wish every means to ensure they are appropriately rewarded. 

Honestly, those are the muggings I wish happened more often, but instead it is the encounters with those that use every OOC resource at their disposal, to inadvertently trample the other side in the hopes of an easy score.

Do you want money? Phones? What do I need to offer you in order to conjure from you a willingness to provide fun and engaging mugger roleplay? We can both walk away form this entertained and satisfied - just name the price I must pay for a mutually fun mugging that does not involve leaning on the CK risk. 

3 hours ago, Bandolero said:

You'd single handedly kill any form of robbery RP all together.

There is no robbery RP. There's one off antagonistic interactions with the objective of obtaining server assets.

If there were robbery RP, they'd realize what they're doing when they rob someone. They're risking their life for wealth. If robbers can't accept the realistic consequences of their play, that kind of tells you that their motivations aren't to foster a decent RP atmosphere.

We clearly can't expect them to RP that fear properly without the threat of a CK, if the past few years has taught us anything. 

Edited by Smilesville
  • Upvote 1

Yikes.

I'm sure that robbery roleplay is a thing between beefing affiliated characters or people doing shady deals, but what you get from the two MASKs with dufflebags on a BF400 riding around the city is not roleplay. I haven't been robbed in quite a while, but I imagine the process is still the same: roll up, toss out a pasted /me so that your character has the initiative regardless of the situation, point a gun at them in case the victim gets froggy. Do some half-assed /me about searching every molecule of their body for their items, tell them the show inventory command and kick rocks when they hand everything valuable over. If they do literally anything that isn't piss themselves in fear and beg for forgiveness for having the audacity to exist in your presence, beat them to a pulp. Maybe shoot them if you're in the mood. Yes, I'm exaggerating.

It's a process that's been boiled down to a meta fashion because of the risk. Every second that anyone is actually emoting doing something is another second that someone might magically appear to save the day, or lord forbid the cops show up - you roleplay as little as you can get away with so that there's less time that something unplanned might occur. It's understandable, but that doesn't make it good roleplay. Most robberies I've witnessed are on the sidewalk with little to no planning in relatively public areas. Literally no effort is taken to mitigate the risk aside from trying to make it as quick as possible, so roleplay suffers - yet they will still bring up the massive amount of risk in defense of their actions.

Yes, I have seen robberies and muggings that while not edge of my seat entertaining, were at least cool or interesting to be in. Yes, I have seen victims pull some stupid shit to try and keep their items. Yes, I've reported them. I'm just pointing out a subgroup that usually cause the most trouble.

• Upvote 2

Here's my take without reading anything but OP.

I feel like RP in general when surrounding robberies should be situational. If you're robbing someone in area where you have to constantly type '/b stop stalling!', you're not robbing in the right place. Sure, there are some incidences where people are GENUINELY stalling - I get that. But in the cases where people are being robbed in Nikola place and Mirror Park in general, leads to the questioning of the validity of that robbery. Is it good portrayal to go out with your homeboys in broad daylight and start chain robbing on dirt bikes? Because realistically, someone is gonna see three dirt bikes flying down their white suburban neighbourhood street whilst them and their family are trying to sleep.

I am not anti-robbery, as I believe that robbery does indeed cause and bring consequence for those that carry valuable goods on them in low-income areas where street crime is relevant. 

tl;dr, stop robbing people in mirror park in broad daylight, and find areas to rob where you won't be on edge because of the location. Rob smart, not unrealistically.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Charlesvito said:

I feel like RP in general when surrounding robberies should be situational. If you're robbing someone in area where you have to constantly type '/b stop stalling!', you're not robbing in the right place. Sure, there are some incidences where people are GENUINELY stalling - I get that. But in the cases where people are being robbed in Nikola place and Mirror Park in general, leads to the questioning of the validity of that robbery. Is it good portrayal to go out with your homeboys in broad daylight and start chain robbing on dirt bikes? Because realistically, someone is gonna see three dirt bikes flying down their white suburban neighbourhood street whilst them and their family are trying to sleep.

I am not anti-robbery, as I believe that robbery does indeed cause and bring consequence for those that carry valuable goods on them in low-income areas where street crime is relevant. 

tl;dr, stop robbing people in mirror park in broad daylight, and find areas to rob where you won't be on edge because of the location. Rob smart, not unrealistically.

KYFCQPq.png

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Charlesvito said:

7 hours ago, Smilesville said:

There is no robbery RP. There's one off antagonistic interactions with the objective of obtaining server assets.

If there were robbery RP, they'd realize what they're doing when they rob someone. They're risking their life for wealth. If robbers can't accept the realistic consequences of their play, that kind of tells you that their motivations aren't to foster a decent RP atmosphere.

We clearly can't expect them to RP that fear properly without the threat of a CK, if the past few years has taught us anything. 

That's very dangerous generalization. Discarding a concept altogether because you've had poor experiences and stereotyping those engaged in muggings is kind of a classic strawman.

Yes, there are issues with robberies that need to be addressed. For example, Mirror Park and similar districts should be "home" to more house invasions and burglaries rather than street muggings. That's a far more realistic setting, and it also creates roleplay for the criminal side — they get to scout for their potential victim.

Roleplay is a realm where a lot of disagreements about the setting tend to arise. Refusing to listen to people doesn't help, and if both sides continue hating on each other, we're not really gonna get to any better RP experience in robberies.

Edited by yerro
30 minutes ago, yerro said:

That's very dangerous generalization. Discarding a concept altogether because you've had poor experiences and stereotyping those engaged in muggings is kind of a classic strawman.

I'm not the only one who's had poor experiences. Nearly every player can tell you. Hell, other robbers can tell you, by the look of the report section - and it's been this way for years when it really hasn't had to be. I struggle to find an example of any robbery that remotely approaches an acceptable RP standard.

I refuse to accept the premise that those who engage in thinly veiled asset grabs are just another side of a nebulous argument. The false juxtaposition of "civvie versus illegal" prevents us from addressing the root issue that the mechanical benefits of a robbery far outweigh the risks and investment. Indiscriminate armed robbery is not a winning business model in real life by any stretch of the imagination, yet it's been made one on GTAW due to the metagame formed around handling of reports.

This is not okay.

This rift is not legal RPers versus illegal RPers, this is RPers versus Metagamers.

Maybe a different sort of metagamer than we're used to talking about, but metagamers nonetheless.

22 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Maybe a different sort of metagamer than we're used to talking about, but metagamers nonetheless.

That is, it seems they are playing for the meta gains, rather than to create roleplay. It would explain why there is such a low priority to allow the victim to actually roleplay and instead a more significant focus on conjuring profit from the victim.

...which is tragic, as I would arguably choose to reward someone for fun and engaging roleplay, as opposed to someone who sees me as a walking script-money opportunity and nothing more.

I was in a situation similar to Frogy's, where a couple of robbers pulled up on my character one one of the streets connecting Spanish Ave. with Hawick Ave. in broad daylight. Alright, they parked up on the sidewalk to block my character and then hopped out to rob her at gunpoint. 

My character responded to the threat by freezing up completely due to a previous traumatic experience and started to hyperventilate. My character was unresponsive, and they just shoved her into the car (Fine by me). They drove her around to the LS hills, whilst checking her body, taking what little money there was to take and the phone last, which had a code to it.

One of the robbers took my character out once in the hills, only to beat an unresponsive, non threat for the passcode to a phone, which they later saw contained nothing of interest.

I was at no point stalling, and responded to each of their requests in a timely fashion and I can see why my character's unresponsiveness might make the robbers believe that I'm just trying to stall without prior knowledge, but when non-threatening and clearly unresponsive people get beaten for the hell of it, I think it goes beyond just robbing.

A regular robbery would get you plenty of charges, but toss in some more for an uneccesary beating, and a life sentence for a murder that would've wholly uncalled for, I do trully believe that some form of fear RP should be imposed on illegal roleplayers too.

In the worst case, muggers, or robbers are caught during the act, but besides that, what other risk do you run when your face is covered, and any distinctive marks are covered, a slight eastern european accent slipping through, which could point the cops nowhere due to the abundance of characters hailing from a similar region with a similar accent?

I want to say that I'm actually a fan of losing, I find it fun, because it leads to interesting character development, and honestly, a couple hundred bucks and a phone should really mean absolutely nothing in an OOC level for everyone.

It just irks me a bit that robbers would rather risk life in prison over a phone and some money. You don't have to win every robbery, and not every robbery has to end with the civilian getting away, it can be much more fun to lose than win, and can help further a character so much more than constant Ws.

What I want to say is that an unresponsive, or uncooperative target should not warrant an instant harsh beating, as it only increases the risk on your character. Am I saying we should make it against the rules? Hell no, some robberies are about sending a message, others just RP very harsh characters or that actively disregard safety or their and others' lives, and in that case, do your thing. But when your character doesn't fit, just don't do it. If your life is in danger as a robber, e.g your target could overpower you, or they have a gun showing or that you know about and they show intent of using it if it meant they get away, by all means protect your life, but when it's not warranted it just shouldn't happen. (sorry for the wall of text)

tl;dr robberies shouldn't always warrant a brutal beating, or shots being fired, if the case warrants it, take an L by bouncing from the scene, or as a civilian, just value your character's life more than their possesions, unless the case calls for it on both sides.